Favourite RPG

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**ooh! ooh! I was just reminded of one of my all-time favorite PC RPGs. anybody remember the Quest for Glory series? I've gotta say #1 (though the least RPGish of them all) was my favorite. god damn. why don't they make games like that any more?

I've only played the 5th one(I own it and have beaten it).
I think the reason they don't make any more of them is because it was a good idea, but had too many flaws. Click 500 times on those flowers outside the apothecary when playing as a paladin, now go to that inn with the parret. Give all of the flowers to one of those women that flirt with you. Congratulations, you have every single paladin spell, as your honor is maxed! See, it was a good idea, but they didn't get everything right.
I must say, the thrill of robbing the bank in that game was something not to be missed. Everyone go out and buy it, play as the thief, and rob the bank. LOT'S OF FUN.
And the Dryads. WOW. Great music and visual effects there, if only my wizard could dance!
if you've played QFG5 you'll understand.

------------------
Evil is as Evil does

I'd like to say Faria for NES, but why admit how old I am? FF3 on SNES was good, but that's too easy. I'd put any installment of the brilliant Shining Force series, but its been contested those are strategy, not RPGs. Then I remember.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I weep for RPG fans who never had access to a Sega Saturn.

------------------
"I'll give the fans just what they want, and nothing else at all."

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
I think the reason they don't make any more of them is because it was a good idea, but had too many flaws. Click 500 times on those flowers outside the apothecary when playing as a paladin, now go to that inn with the parret. Give all of the flowers to one of those women that flirt with you. Congratulations, you have every single paladin spell, as your honor is maxed! See, it was a good idea, but they didn't get everything right.

eh, I disagree (sort of...). most of those problems are just developement errors. that stuff could be patched up pretty quickly if anyone on the dev team noticed them. I think the real reason that games like the QFG series are gone is because no one wants to play on the honor system anymore. Those games focus on the idea that right is right and wrong is wrong, and there isn't much in-between (even robbing the bank: you're the only one that stores any real money there anyway!). I think people just want the right to decide nowadays. Sure, you can still play games for honor, but you can just as easily play most of today's games as the bad guy. It's just a shift in popular opinion. Give it another decade and maybe random-encounter wielding, save the world, kiss the princess on the cheek, kill the dragon games will be all the rage again. hell, look at the comeback bell-bottoms made...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Remember the SNES game Secret of Mana.
Am I the only person here who really liked it.

I mean, who could resist calling a dragon with a bondo drum.

------------------
The greatest author: Douglas Adams 1952-2001

nah, I'd say just about everybody liked Secret of Mana (although SoM 2 was better...). There are some posts talking about it on page one.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

**nah, I'd say just about everybody liked Secret of Mana (although SoM 2 was better...). There are some posts talking about it on page one.

Sorry, I missed those. :rolleyes:

------------------

Hmm... I'd say it's a tie between Chrono Trigger..and Dark Cloud. Chrono Trigger was the 1st RPG I beat, and everything about it is creative, from the battle system to the time traveling. Then again, no one beats Dark Cloud when it comes to weapons... no one. (And yes, Dark Cloud IS an RPG.)

------------------
Never EVER try to reason with a pyromanic.

Mmmm, Quest for Glory. Whoa - fond memories envelope me. I'm staring unseening at the computer screen and just remember that game. A true classic.

------------------
rUmbler
Confusion reigns. Please advice.

Originally posted by Kemani:
**Hmm... I'd say it's a tie between Chrono Trigger..and Dark Cloud.

What's Dark Cloud?

------------------

STAR OCEAN: SECOND STORY

*Make your own weapons

*Make Food

*Make Armour

*Can have up to 8 in a party

*Hundreds of unique spells, techniques and combos

*Over 50 endings

KICKS ARSE however many SNES rpgs kick also

------------------
--------------------------
mommy they're trying to turn me in to a Maori

Here's my RPG thesis 🙂 :

Favorite Console RPG: Chrono Trigger
No doubt about it, Chrono Trigger is the best console RPG and probably the best console game ever made. It has an incredible storyline, 12 different endings (the most ever at it's time of release), and the fact that the dialogue can change at different events depending on who you have in your party. FF3 was a cheap xerox of Chrono Trigger and I don't even want to compare them.

Favorite Computer RPG: Diablo 2 (and xpack)
Diablo 2 is an RPG. It has all the qualities neccesary to be called an RPG. It has a battle mode (being out of town), it has a spell system, it has attributes and statistics, it has multiple character arch-types, etc. Diablo 2 is also the fastest selling computer game in history, with 2.5 million sales it's first day. (4 million+ to date)

Paper/Pencil RPGs:
Never played em. Can't have an opinion. Though i have played ones with other people out loud in person. Don't quite remember but i think the object was to kill the other person. I always won :).

Least favorite console RPG:
Haven't played too many, though FF3 comes to mind.

Least favorite computer RPG:
Exile 3 was mildly addicting, but incredibly boring and had a rather eerie atmosphere to it. I played through the shareware version, and got kidna frustrated that i couldn't go north of a certain point.

Oh well, thanks for listening to my rantings.

------------------
I'll take that nickel and raise you a grand. -TheDarkDragon

Anyone know where i can get a demo of Baldur's Gate 2?

------------------
I'll take that nickel and raise you a grand. -TheDarkDragon

Originally posted by TheDarkDragon:
**Anyone know where i can get a demo of Baldur's Gate 2?

it's not out for mac yet.

------------------
-Jedi

Originally posted by TheDarkDragon:
**FF3 was a cheap xerox of Chrono Trigger and I don't even want to compare them.

(nitpick)
Err... you do know that FF3 came out well before CT, right? So if anything, CT is a greatly-improved photocopy of FF3. 🙂
(/nitpick)

------------------
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Albert Einstein
Hardy har har! Little do they know: They are ALL going to hell!! Hardy har har! - God, attributed

**it's not out for mac yet.

Sigh...

------------------

Well, my favorite computer RPG is tied between both Diablos and Fallout. As for console gaming, I don't own one. Tabletops RPG's are great, and Star Wars 6d is my favorite. As for role-playing games I don't like, Final Fantasy comes to mind. Also, would you call Deus Ex a RPG?

------------------
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
So long and thanks for the fish... Douglas Adams, you will not be forgotten...

Originally posted by SmasherOfPumpkins:
**Also, would you call Deus Ex a RPG?

<sigh> (With a look that can only be described as exhausted)...whatever

(Backstory, as twisted as we all are, and as loose a definition that applies to the role-playing genre, you could classify Blitz 2001 as an RPG. I'm tired of arguing the points of a tried and true RPG to those with different views.) Givin it up.

Saphfire

------------------

Does anyone other than me still like the Ultima series.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Beeblebrox (edited 07-04-2001).)

No, Beeble, you're the only one.

My favorite is Chrono Trigger

Oh!

------------------