Favourite RPG

Skies of Arcadia
FF
The Legend of Zelda

------------------
Whats gray, crispy, and hangs from the ceiling?
AN APPRENTICE ELECTERIAN

Since I cannot really think of any outstanding pen an' paper campaings I've played recently, I'll limit myself to console RPG's. My favorite amongst those?

A tie between Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. Mmmm... Gudness.

------------------
"High explosives are applicable where truth and logic fail."
"Get thee down. Be thou funky."

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**ooh! ooh! I was just reminded of one of my all-time favorite PC RPGs. anybody remember the Quest for Glory series? I've gotta say #1 (though the least RPGish of them all) was my favorite. god damn. why don't they make games like that any more?

Yes that game was really cool didnt they have 4 other games in the series? they were really good not really rpgish but still very good games.

all the Dragon warrior games are cool and um i allso liked the first twoo ff for game boy. And the Zelda games were great too!! 🙂

------------------
"Thus die those who attack the inocent. Deaths harvest is rich with blood of the cowardly the virtues have strength to reap it. The claimer is here take heed......

Soon we''l be able to post about our favourite games made in Coldstone.

------------------
'It's dark. You might be eaten by a Grue.'

Talk about the board that wouldn't quit... I feel I have been very fortunate in playing all the best RPG's as they came available for the Mac...

Ultima III,
Might and Magic,
Wizardry (Bane of the Cosmic Forge),
Pools of Radiance,
-looong gap, went to college-
Chrono Trigger (YES, it IS available for the Mac, and I played the whole thing on my old PBG3 Lombard),
Baldur's Gate I,
Baldur's Gate II!

While they've gotten better and better, the funny thing is, I still have a major warm spot in my heart for Ultima III. The Mac version was so smooth and clean... course I was younger and more enthralled then!

------------------
--Insert pithy quote
here--

Originally posted by thebeagle:
**While they've gotten better and better, the funny thing is, I still have a major warm spot in my heart for Ultima III. The Mac version was so smooth and clean... course I was younger and more enthralled then!

You should download and emulate Ultima 4 since it's legal abandonware now.
I reccomend the Amiga version.
You will enjoy it 100,000 times more than Ultima III.
Although, the latest port of Ultima 3 is quite good.

------------------

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**You should download and emulate Ultima 4 since it's legal abandonware now.
I reccomend the Amiga version.
You will enjoy it 100,000 times more than Ultima III.
Although, the latest port of Ultima 3 is quite good.

Hmm... where might I find it?
And won't I need an older system to play it on?

By the way-- I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what game "It's dark, you might get eaten by a grue." is from. Isn't it one of the original infocom games? Fill me in!

------------------
--Insert pithy quote
here--

**Hmm... where might I find it?
And won't I need an older system to play it on?

Get the game from _http://amiga.superga...ngIntroSet.html _ .
Then get an Amiga emulator from _http://www.emulation.net _
And then get the Kickstart rom from _http://www.emulation...yaismi=ks13.zip _

**By the way-- I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what game "It's dark, you might get eaten by a grue." is from. Isn't it one of the original infocom games? Fill me in!

It's from Zork: The Great Underground Empire. The first Infocom game.
This is one of my favourite games, despite it's age.

------------------

You should also get the manuals and map for Ultima 4 at _(url="http://"http://apenalty.hit.bg/u4.htm")http://apenalty.hit.bg/u4.htm(/url) _
You will need to read these before playing.

------------------

Some of the responses on this thread are very interesting. Chrono Trigger has always been my all-time favorite of favorite RPGs, and although I know the game was very popular, I'm still amazed by how many people name it as their favorite, particularly with all the fancy-pants 128-bit offerings in this day and age. 🙂

I think this is a testament to the importance of good character design and development. Sure, we all know that an RPG or adventure game needs a good story to be successful, but getting into a bit more detail, it's how the characters of the story are presented that can ultimately make or break the entire game. All of the characters in CT were unique and interesting ... heck, even the most insignificant of minor villains were dripping with personality. The dialogue, too, was very well written, striking a wonderful balance between comedy and drama.

This is just my own darned opinion, but I consider character design to rank among the most important factors in determining what makes an RPG or adventure game successful. You can have the greatest graphics in the universe, CD-quality music, a deep and intricate battle system, and all sorts of other great stuff in your game, but if your characters come off as being generic and cliched with poorly-written dialogue, the game just won't be any fun to play.

Not to be unnecessarily harsh to the fine folks at Beenox and Ambrosia, but case in point: even though Pillars of Gardenall is a gorgeous game, to be perfectly honest, the dialogue completely ruined the experience for me.

------------------
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." -- Plato

Originally posted by Noel Webster:
**Some of the responses on this thread are very interesting. Chrono Trigger has always been my all-time favorite of favorite RPGs, and although I know the game was very popular, I'm still amazed by how many people name it as their favorite, particularly with all the fancy-pants 128-bit offerings in this day and age.:)

I think this is a testament to the importance of good character design and development. Sure, we all know that an RPG or adventure game needs a good story to be successful, but getting into a bit more detail, it's how the characters of the story are presented that can ultimately make or break the entire game. All of the characters in CT were unique and interesting ... heck, even the most insignificant of minor villains were dripping with personality. The dialogue, too, was very well written, striking a wonderful balance between comedy and drama.

This is just my own darned opinion, but I consider character design to rank among the most important factors in determining what makes an RPG or adventure game successful. You can have the greatest graphics in the universe, CD-quality music, a deep and intricate battle system, and all sorts of other great stuff in your game, but if your characters come off as being generic and cliched with poorly-written dialogue, the game just won't be any fun to play.

Not to be unnecessarily harsh to the fine folks at Beenox and Ambrosia, but case in point: even though Pillars of Gardenall is a gorgeous game, to be perfectly honest, the dialogue completely ruined the experience for me.

Yes, I agree with you.
I usually don't like console RPGs, but Chrono Trigger kept me hooked for ages.
But I still don't think that console RPGs have the depth of computer RPGs, such as the brilliant Ultima series.
Console RPGs such as Final Fantasy are usually terribly linear, uninspiring and badly written (of course, CT is an exception here)

------------------

Originally posted by Beeblebrox:
**Yes, I agree with you.
I usually don't like console RPGs, but Chrono Trigger kept me hooked for ages.
But I still don't think that console RPGs have the depth of computer RPGs, such as the brilliant Ultima series.
Console RPGs such as Final Fantasy are usually terribly linear, uninspiring and badly written (of course, CT is an exception here)

Its funny-- I'm not sure what made Chrono Trigger so hot-- it was really kind of, well, "dorky", in a way. Yet it enchanted me. I was sitting there playing it on my Powerbook G3-- a computer quite capable of Baldur's Gate and beyond, and was completely entranced. Yes, it DID have pretty good characters-- but not THAT good... and the music, plot and playability were all "pretty" good... but there was something else... a kind of "charm", I guess... charm and creativity that made you REALLY want to see what was next...

------------------
--Insert pithy quote
here--