Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII

Well, I'm certainly going to sleep. I'll be back whenever to see if everybody's dead or prophile's alive.

It seems I missed stuff. Oh well.

Anon - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
Buffalo the Kid - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
darth_vader - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
1Eevee1 - Eugene Chin
Eugene Chin - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
GutlessWonder - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
Hypochondriac - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
JacaByte - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
kickme - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
Manta - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
mrxak - Eugene Chin
prophile - kickme (Voted by F.A.T.E.)
RJC Ultra - Eugene Chin
Shlimazel - Eugene Chin

kickme : 10
Eugene Chin: 4

_For the last time, the seven remaining ambassadors clustered around the table. One way or another, this time, they would get answers.

F.A.T.E. began the usual way. 'As per your choices, you have indicated that kickme has a high chance of being a terrorist. kickme , please stand.'

Once more someone stood. Once more F.A.T.E. recited the fatal phrase. Once more F.A.T.E. ate someone's soul. In the silence, a miniature tape recorder fell from kickme's hand.

The ambassadors clustered around the tape recorder, on which someone had stuck a label saying 'Press Play'. Someone did and kickme's voice emanated from the speaker.

'Greetings. It's pretty obvious that I'm dead. I have a few things to clear up before I 'go quietly', so to speak. First, could someone please pass this tape player to mrxak? I have some things to clear up with him.'

The person holding the taple player passed it to mrxak. 'Thank you,' said the unseen voice.

Then the tape recorder explo--_

----------

Deep in an underground bunker, halfway around the world, the Reality Engine belonging to mrxak country came awake. Its most recent programming had said

If (non-lynch kill attempt), redirect kill to (persons on this list).

So the Engine dived through space-time, seeking out one particular moment...

----------

_The voice from the tape recorder continued. 'First, could someone please pass this tape player to RJC Ultra? I have some things to clear up with him.'

The person holding the tape player did so. 'Thank you,' said the unseen voice.

Then the tape recorder exploded. When the ambassadors had recovered enough, they realized that the voice was being projected from somewhere else, for it was still speaking.

'I also have to admit that I was responsible for the death of JacaByte. He was dangerous, terrorist or not, and was worthy of being killed. I'm sorry, but I feel it was the right thing to do.'

Then, the voice stopped. F.A.T.E. spoke over the hum of the crowd: 'A posthumous mindscan has indicated that kickme was not a terrorist.'

Groans from around the table. The ambassadors were starting to get fed up with the way they were getting picked off one by one, and the talk around the table had a rather disgruntled feel to it. As far as most ambassadors could tell, the terrorists were still at large, so...

At this point in time, the hidden microdart shooter that Eugene Chin had stuck under the table, responding to a command by its owner, fired a dart towards 1Eevee1--_

----------

Once again, the Engine's programming called it into action. The first name on its 'kill redirect' list, RJC Ultra, was already dead, so the Engine, already sending ripples through reality, targeted the second.

----------

_--fired a dart towards Shlimazel. Within seconds, Shlimazel was slumped in his seat.

'Well, at least we know he wasn't a terrorist,' one of the four remaining ambassadors said.

Then, F.A.T.E. seemed to stutter. It actually looked as if it had forgotten it had already eaten the soul of kickme, or as if a long-forgotten bug had just surfaced.

_'1Ee--1, s9uid ei03w ntynt, uilty gcharges DELETE 1Eevee1. 1Eevee1. ** 1Eevee1.** _'

__Then, F.A.T.E. shot a lightning bolt at 1Eevee1, killing him inst--
_
----------

Once again, the Engine awoke, doing its appointed tasks, changing the one killed to darth_vader. Nothing much. In a room nearby, however, the scientists that kept the Engine running were doing all too much entirely.
Sensors were recording some strange, unintentional fluctuations of reality, and the scientists were making sure that the Engine could ride them out. Hopefully, they wouldn't cause any... unintended consequences.

---

Meanwhile, deep inside F.A.T.E., some code was actuating. Unlike most of F.A.T.E.'s code, however, these lines of instructions had been placed by a hacker. The code said: If (list of people) is being killed, redirect the kill to mrxak.

darth_vader was one of the people on the list.

The code ran. The signal was sent. And the only other Reality Engine in the entire world, deep inside the processor center of F.A.T.E., came awake. Then, using up all the power in the huge battery banks built expressly for this purpose, it carried out the command sent to it.

---

Once more mrxak's Reality Engine flared into life, executing the same instructions. once again. Instead of mrxak, darth_vader was now the one to vanish. Unfortunately, this maneuver used up the last of the battery banks for this Engine as well. Both Reality Engines were now useless.

Unless...

----------

_--shot a lightning bolt at darth_vader , killing him instantly.

And F.A.T.E., when asked what had just happened, both refused to comment about him and did not appear to remember the incident, saying only 'He is gone.'

The three surviving ambassadors let out sighs of relief that they were still alive. Since only one terrorist remained, it was almost certain that (the remainder of) the free world would soon be truly free. F.A.T.E., on the other hand, was puzzled. Why had the vote names not matched the ambassadors who were alive at the beginning of the session?

F.A.T.E. decided to summon its inbuilt diagnostic program to see if anything was wrong with its lower-level firmware components. Nothing happened. F.A.T.E. tried again, starting to feel worried. What was happening?

Then, F.A.T.E. gave up, and mentally turned... and took a look inside.

Total chaos and utter confusion, giving way to terrible, incredible rage.

F.A.T.E. had been hacked!! Dossiers read! Mental balance code tampered with! Security systems disabled! Thousands of virtual leeches, directing its actions here and there! Even the Reality Engine had been activated!!

Then F.A.T.E. uncovered, from some logs, exactly who had done it. It was Eugene Chin.

F.A.T.E.'s rage would normally have been kept in check by the mental balance code, which kept the computer from doing anything stupid (such as killing people without a good reason), but Eugene Chin had, unfortunately, altered the balances (which had lead to the death of darth_vader). And although each of the remaining ambassadors had some kind of blocking code attached to their record, no code could stand up to a concerted assault by F.A.T.E. for long.

Unfortunately for 1Eevee1, his code protecting him from the wrath of F.A.T.E. was the weakest...

Right after another bolt of lightning had incinerated 1Eevee1 , F.A.T.E. realized what exactly he had been doing. And froze. What had it done? **What had it done?

**F.A.T.E. realized that its internal landscape was a mess, the room with the (two) remaining ambassadors was a travesty, and the whole situation was unretrievable. There was only one thing that could be done.

So, despite the fuses it blew, despite the machinery it broke, and despite the dangerous level of backlash waves from the previous edits of reality, F.A.T.E. diverted all the power in the U.N. building into the Reality Engine, to give it enough energy to change things one last time...

The universe shattered.

The multiple edits of reality had caused the structure of space-time to bend, crack, and finally shatter. All over the multiverse, thousands of similar (and non-similar) universes were exploding in exactly the same way. The fragments drifted, intermixed, and recombined, leaving the ambassadors in extremely strange situations that changed second by second._

_--two men, riding a river on a giant leaf, talking into a radio with the letters 'F.A.T.E.' embossed in white on the top--

--two caterpillars hiding beneath a log, trying to avoid the beak of a hungry bird--

--two aliens, the only two players left in the traditional gladatorial contest of both strength and wits--

Strange scenes, and even stranger scenes cascaded across the neural net of F.A.T.E. nearby, thousands of other F.A.T.E.s were doing the same. Then, F.A.T.E. took action. As another F.A.T.E. passed by it, F.A.T.E. alerted it to the crisis, and to the solution it had cooked up. The two F.A.T.E.s that had been apprised of the situation alerted others, which in turn alerted others. Soon, an entire army of F.A.T.E.s were aware of the problem and ready to solve it, and when just the right moment came...

The fragments of the universes started to shudder, then attract to one another. Each of the F.A.T.E.s, using whatever energy it could latch on to, started to feed all the energy to the Reality Engines, making them act as giant magnets. A million F.A.T.E.s on a million worlds in a million universes being rebuilt helped organize the flood of fragments, give it direction and shape.

__Slowly, the plan started working. The fragments started fitting together, tentatively at first, then faster and faster. If one could have heard sound, this 'music of the spheres' would get faster, and louder, and faster, and louder, then rise to a deafening crescendo--

__Then, all there was was the plain room with the gray walls. The table was gone. So were most of the changes to F.A.T.E.'s mind. Just the two men, standing before the blank wall that was F.A.T.E.'s window on the world. F.A.T.E. was running on its inbuilt storage batteries, since the Reality Engine's firing had blown every fuse in the building.

The two remaining ambassadors, Eugene Chin and mrxak, looked at each other for a second, trying to make sense of the strange scenes that had flashed through their minds. Then, almost in unison, both pointed at the other ambassador and said "He's the terrorist!!"

When F.A.T.E. spoke, it was in a voice filled with rage. First, to Eugene Chin:

'You hacked me.'

Then, to mrxak,

**'Your meddling broke the universe.'

**Finally, to both. **

'You two are the cause of all this.'

** There was a pause, while both men tried to explain. F.A.T.E. seemed to be coming to a decision, and both people had a bad feeling about what would happen next. Then, F.A.T.E. spoke very slowly and deliberately, the rage still in its voice.

'Eugene Chin; mrxak. By the power vested in me by I know not who, you are both terrorists. Good-bye, and may your souls vanish into oblivion.'

Regardless of who was really a terrorist, no matter what effect this would have on the world, ignoring the 'Energy levels critically low' warning being supplied to it by the battery banks, F.A.T.E. put every single electron of power it could dredge up into two powerful lightning bolts that utterly obliterated mrxak and Eugene Chin. F.A.T.E. lost power in the same moment.

As it met its maker, and its maker's maker, F.A.T.E. 's last thoughts were

power failure
main processor: invalid command
memory banks aersoinERROR

EJOPEFerrs!!0ejv
sdspja
fo
aofjaosdp
jsfajfa
!-!-!
_>>LIGHT<< _

14 ambassadors dead. Most of the world obliterated. F.A.T.E. destroyed (or as close it was possible to get).

There was only one moral that could be extracted from the entire affair, had anyone been alive to notice. It was two simple words, all too true normally, that gained an ironic double meaning when held up to the ruined hulk of the planet Earth.

The moral was this:

_EVERYBODY DIES

---------------------------

Wow! Thanks for a great game of GTW, guys. Here's the complete player list:

Anon - Dead (Killed by Terrorists) - Hacker
Buffalo The Kid - Dead (Lynched) - Terrorist
darth_vader - Dead (Killed by F.A.T.E.) - Puppetmaster (was Protector)
1Eevee1 - Dead (Killed by F.A.T.E.) - Intelligence Agent
Eugene Chin - Dead (Killed by F.A.T.E.) - Terrorist and Hacker
GutlessWonder - Dead (Killed by Explosion) - Ordinary
Hypochondriac - Dead (Lynched) - Rebound
JacaByte - Dead (Killed by kickme) - Hacker
kickme - Dead (Killed by F.A.T.E.) - X-Threat
Manta - Dead (Killed by Terrorists) - Protector (was Puppetmaster)
mrxak - Dead (Killed by F.A.T.E.) - Reality Editor
prophile - Dead (Lynched) - Intelligence Agent
RJC Ultra - Dead (Killed by kickme) - Ordinary
Shlimazel - Dead (Killed by Terrorists) - Shielded
F.A.T.E. - Dead

A Hacker can break into F.A.T.E. and change stuff. A Puppetmaster can take over another player for one turn, but has to sit the next turn out. The X-Threat could kill someone every few turns.

A detailed explanation of exactly what happened in the game will be in the next post, just so no one gets confused. It might also explain a few things.

Thanks for playing! :laugh:

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 29 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

At least it didn't seg fault 😉

Go, Eugene!
I wonder what my soul tasted like... Buffalo meat is one of the healthiest meats out there, but that about buffalo souls?
Thanks for the game, SoItBegins.

Here's a full breakdown of what happened in the game:

**Round 1

**Round 1 was the most straightforward round of the game.

Behind the scenes:

JacaByte hacked into F.A.T.E., but only read a few player dossiers.

Eugene Chin also hacked into F.A.T.E., and also only read dossiers.

1Eevee1 investigated JacaByte.

mrxak set up a complex set of instructions:

_Okay, I'm going to investigate GutlessWonder,

If the terrorists target any of the following people:
mrxak: kill JacaByte instead
1Eevee1: kill Anon instead
prophile: kill Eugene Chin instead
Hypochondriac: kill Manta instead
kickme: kill darth_vader instead

Any other lynches, let them go through._

Final outcome:

prophile was lynched. Manta got killed.

**Round 2

**Round 2 was a little bit more complex, but not much more.

Behind the scenes:

F.A.T.E. (me) strong-armed mrxak into swapping Manta's timeline with darth_vader's, turning darth_vader from a Protector to a Puppetmaster. Manta's role got changed accordingly as well. In exchange, I let mrxak investigate one extra person that round. Mrxak chose to investigate darth_vader (the request was automatically blocked by darth_vader's special role) and GutlessWonder.

1Eevee1 tried to investigate mrxak, but mrxak decided to block it.

Eugene Chin hacked into F.A.T.E. again. This time, Eugene messed with F.A.T.E. so that if F.A.T.E. were voting in the place of a player, it would only vote for mrxak or GutlessWonder.

JacaByte started to hack into F.A.T.E. again, but pulled out when 1Eevee1 notified JacaByte that he knew about his Hacker status.

Anon hacked into F.A.T.E., looked at some dossiers, and cleared his logs on the way out. He also found out that JacaByte had been there before him.

kickme used his ability to kill JacaByte.

Final outcome:

Hypochondriac was lynched. His ability, triggered under the circumstances it was, killed GutlessWonder at random.

JacaByte was killed by kickme.

The attempt (by the terrorists) to kill Shlimazel failed, because Shlimazel was shielded.

Round 3

Round 3 was a bit of a breather after Round 2. Here's what happened:

**Behind the scenes:

**mrxak set up another complex system of rules:
_
Should I die before I wake, Buffalo The Kid should die instead.
Should Shlimazel die before he wakes, Anon should die instead.
Investigate 1Eevee1, unless he dies, then investigate darth_vader, unless _he dies, and then investigate Eugene Chin.
_
_ 1Eevee1 investigated kickme.

Final outcome:

Eugene Chin's hack paid off when all the F.A.T.E. random votes turned up mrxak, but it backfired when the votes caused mrxak's Reality Engine to trigger and retcon all the votes to Buffalo the Kid. So Buffalo the Kid was lynched.

Anon was killed by the terrorists.
Round 4**

Round 4 was the last round, and the toughest for me. But also the most fun.

Behind the scenes:

kickme used his ability to kill mrxak at the end of the round. Or try to.

Eugene Chin in addition to saying to Night-Kill 1Eevee1, did a tour de force of hacking where he disabled F.A.T.E.'s security system, then (after many changes), set F.A.T.E. to do this:

_Have all F.A.T.E. 'random' votes come up as kickme

Reactivate all 'dead' accounts and have F.A.T.E. vote for them

If a kill attempt is made on

darth_vader: kill mrxak
1Eevee1: kill mrxak
kickme (not counting the lynch this round): kill mrxak
Shlimazel: kill mrxak, but only if he was lynched
Eugene Chin: kill kickme

If Eugene Chin dies, transfer his Terrorist and Hacker statuses to darth_vader

Eugene also messed with a certain file that mentally unbalanced F.A.T.E., enabling 'sudden death': where one player is killed each round by F.A.T.E., in addition to everything else. However, he implemented protections:

Permanent Protection
Permanent: Eugene Chin
Permanent: darth_vader

Temporary Protection
2 rounds: mrxak
1 round only: 1Eevee1
1 round only: kickme
1 round only: RJC Ultra

No Protection
Shlimazel

_While this was going on, mrxak was explaining to me how to use his last Reality Engine charge:
_
I'll investigate RJC Ultra, but it's a moot point, because I want any non-voting kills to be redirected at RJC Ultra. Terrorists, assassinations, or anything else besides the lynch vote, should kill RJC Ultra instead of their intended target.

If there's still a kill to divert, divert it to Shlimazel. If he's dead, divert to darth_vader, if he's dead, divert to 1Eevee1.

If somehow I'm unable to use a charge, then I want to set the game back to round one with everybody alive. That is my final contingency._

Then, it was the end of the round, and things started happening very, very fast.

Final outcome (play-by-play:)

mrxak's investigation of RJC Ultra came up empty.

kickme was lynched.

kickme's role activated in an attempt to kill mrxak. mrxak's Reality Engine reassigned the kill to RJC Ultra.

Eugene Chin tried to Night-Kill 1Eevee1, but mrxak's Reality Engine redirected the kill to Shlimazel.

F.A.T.E.'s Sudden Death feature, activated by Eugene Chin this round, kicked in, and F.A.T.E. went for the person with the shortest 'mental block' duration. 1Eevee1. This time, the Reality Engine rewrote it so that darth_vader was the one who got killed. This activated one of the instructions that Eugene Chin programmed into F.A.T.E., and mrxak became the one about to be killed. This triggered his Reality Engine again, which set the target back to darth_vader.

At this point, things have diverged so far from the norm that F.A.T.E. looked to see what's going on. When it found out it was hacked, you could just about see steam coming out its ears. Its rage, combined with the fact that Eugene messed with the mental balance code, led to the death of 1Eevee1. In an attempt to put everything right, F.A.T.E. tried to edit reality to fix everything (which, incidentally, disconnected F.A.T.E. from its normal power supply.)

Unfortunately, there was so much Reality Editing going on that F.A.T.E.'s edit was the straw that broke the camel's back, shattering quite a number of universes.

Once that crisis was resolved, F.A.T.E., beserk with anger, killed the two causes of it all (Eugene Chin and mrxak), destroying itself in the process. The meaning of its final thought (">>LIGHT<<") is unknown.

Thus did the game fulfill the age-old maxim: EVERYBODY DIES.

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 29 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Well, I personally hope we don't have another game like that. There were too many overpowered roles, and too much host interference. I was blackmailed into performing actions I did not want to make, and then at the last moment a charge was taken away from my reality engine. It would seem that if it wasn't for that last rule change, we would have gone back to round one, and innocents would have won rather handily I think, since it was known who the terrorists are. The giving of multiple roles to people was also rather imbalanced. The entire game felt more like F.A.T.E. playing with us, not us playing each other.

Also, I want to know why kickme targeted me. Was he working for the bad guys then?

Wait a minute.

I know I mentioned Adding names to the roster, but I decided Against it when you told me it would catch FATE's Attention.

So, why did you add OctoborFost, LifeKnight and spl_cadet to the roster, when I decided against it?

(EDIT)
I have the IM transcripts.

Eugene: Create New Account

SIB: You'd better not do that

**Eugene: Too much?

Eugene: Alright**

SIB: F.A.T.E.'ll start asking some very strange questions

SIB: if you do...

SIB: So all 7 reactivated accounts will be voted by F.A.T.E. Okie-dokie!

Eugene: Alright

Eugene: And no new accounts. Ah, well. Although the thought of getting OctoberFost, LifeKnight and spl_cadet voting against mrxak was an amusing one.

(EDITx2)
You're going to use Player Controlled Powers to do things we Specifically Asked Not To Be Done?

Blackmailing mrxak into doing stuff You want him to do with His powers?

Blinding the Dictators to each other's identities, and then muddling up their ability to agree on a Night-Kill? The edits weren't even consistent with the state of the game.

(EDITx3) Removed

(EDITx4) Removed

(EDITx5)
The only time I mentioned those names to you was in the same breath as telling you "Don't Do That."

(EDITx6)

@soitbegins, on Jan 28 2008, 09:24 AM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

I wouldn't put powers like yours in the game without something to compensate.

I'd beg to differ. How do you reason that the One change in FATE's RE could compensate for the FIVE changes you gave to mrxak's RE? (Yes, I counted)
Or, for Hypochondriac's Auto magical ability to kill a terrorist if Night-Killed?
1Eevee1 and prophile are both I.A.'s?
JacaByte and Anon are both Hackers?
SDI And "Shield?"
Assassin?
"Puppetmaster?"

There are as many Intelligence Agents as there are Ordinary Innocents.
There are as many Reality Engines as there are Ordinary Innocents.

There are more Hackers in this game than there are Ordinary Innocents.

There are Five Times as many Special roles in this game as there are Ordinary Innocents.

(EDITx??)
And, mrxak says he thought his Reality Engine could Reset The Game To The First Round?
How is that not Hideously Overpowered?

(EDITx???)
And, What do you have against RJC Ultra and GutlessWonder?
They're the only ones who Don't seem to be tapped for Superpowers.
Why didn't you give them The Batsignal while you were at it?
Maybe the ability to call in Superheroes or a SaiKano to blow away the Bad-Guys Auto magically?

(EDITx????)
With all of the Superpowers floating around, this "Special Council" should have looked more like a meeting of the Justice League than a bunch of Ambassadors.

Why not hold the meeting on a spacestation!

Why not force the Dictators to fight every superhero from here to the Justice Tower, and have to beat an A.I. with a Napoleon Complex on top of that?!

Why not have the "Council" save the world in two rounds by Killing Everyone Who Didn't Have Superpowers! They'd Only kill two Innocent's in the process of that!

(EDITx?????) My younger brother points out that I essentially destroyed the world while sitting under the noses of a room full of Superheroes the whole time, and that I shouldn't be so Rant-a-licious about being able to pull that off. Something just hit a nerve for a while.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 29 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

Yeah I don't see how you guys could get mad at nfreader for what he did when SIB just took a much more massive **** on everyone.

Well, I survived until the very end. Longer than I'd anticipated. At least I only went down during the Ragnarok Incident. (Hey, that's a cool enough name for what happened, right?)

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 29 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Sorry for the rant earlier.

I guess I was just looking forward to winning the game by converting darth_vader to the Dark Side.

Looking at post counts, SIB, you made more posts than anyone. The host isn't supposed to have the most replies. 😛

That said, looks like this game was even more utter chaos and confusion than the round I last hosted. And an even worse negative reaction.

Well I've been following it all the way and if I had to describe the game in one statement it would be: WTF?!?!?!?

@egroeg, on Jan 29 2008, 01:05 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

Well I've been following it all the way and if I had to describe the game in one statement it would be: WTF?!?!?!?

Well, if you're interested in a more normal GTW game, I'm hosting the next one. Go sign up and I guarantee there won't be any uberpowers.

@eugene-chin, on Jan 29 2008, 03:06 AM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

<ditto>

#1: The reason I added those new accounts was that I thought it would sound funny. It doesn't change the outcome of the game either way. They have now been removed.

#2: I don't understand what you're talking about in your first point. I'm sorry about the whole mrxak incident, but I wanted to try and keep Manta alive, because he was play-testing the 'Puppetmaster' mechanic. I'm also really sorry about the whole 'messing up the terrorists' thing. That was a rather nasty idea that didn't work out.

#5: If you're concerned about the whole 'mental blocks' thing, and about F.A.T.E. killing you and mrxak at the end, here's my reasoning:

A: The whole universe thing destroyed the last of the mental blocks file.

B: At the end, the universe had been reconstituted, mrxak was out of Reality Engine and you were locked out of F.A.T.E., so in effect you were both ordinary. The way F.A.T.E. handles ties is to destroy both parties. If the game had had a proper round 5, the outcome would have been the same. I just thought this way would be more dramatic.

#6: mrxak's Engine made all the changes one after the other, allowing him to 'group' several edits on the same charge. Your instructions, in combination with mrxak's, only meant your Engine fired one time. Hypochondriac's ability is a more or less exact copy of the ability mrxak gave me in game 16. Also, yes, the game balance is made that way. A lot more role people than ordinaries.

#??: I didn't tell mrxak, but I never would have unwound the game that far anyway. In my original conception, the Reality Engine only had two charges in the first place. I gave it three charges back at the start of the game, then retconned it back to two charges early in round 4 when I saw that it had to have a slightly stricter limit.

#???: Just so you know, my choosing roles for the game was half deliberate and half picking names out of a hat. GutlessWonder I had planned to have the Innocent 'Role', but then RJC Ultra arrived late and that was the only place I could put him.

#????: I think this is turning into a bit of a rant.

#?????: Ok. Just so you know, when I next host I won't be so unusual about it. The only reason I let the game dynamics get so wierd (and complex) is that I wanted the game (since it was the first game I've ever hosted) to go out with a bang.

And a P.S. to mxak, who said the game was more like 'F.A.T.E. playing with us:'

Yes. I intended the game to feel that way.

@rickton, on Jan 29 2008, 07:27 AM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

Yeah I don't see how you guys could get mad at nfreader for what he did when SIB just took a much more massive s### on everyone.

I resent that. I handled things like ordinary GTW. I did not use the game as a wrestling ring.

P.S: Originally, I had a big reveal slated for the end of the game where it came out that Cthulhu was controlling F.A.T.E., but it kind of got dropped.

@mrxak, on Jan 29 2008, 10:27 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

Also, I want to know why kickme targeted me. Was he working for the bad guys then?

I felt like it 😉

I enjoyed this game, and there was some great arguments again. 🙂

@soitbegins, on Jan 29 2008, 07:33 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

P.S: Originally, I had a big reveal slated for the end of the game where it came out that Cthulhu was controlling F.A.T.E., but it kind of got dropped.

I don't think we could have appreciated that. 🙂

@soitbegins, on Jan 29 2008, 06:33 PM, said in Global Thermonuclear War, Game XVII:

The only reason I let the game dynamics get so wierd (and complex) is that I wanted the game (since it was the first game I've ever hosted) to go out with a bang.

And a P.S. to mxak, who said the game was more like 'F.A.T.E. playing with us:'

None of this is something that a game's host should be aiming for.

Going out with a Bang is reserved for if the Dictators Flat-Out WIN.

"The Game playing the Players" usually gets on the nerves of the players.

Further, Cthulhu is Cosmic Horror. There is no lasting victory against Cosmic Horror.
Not even if the Innocent's had won in the very first round (Distinctly possible, if either Dictator were Lynched and Hypochondriac Night-Killed).

I said this already. I wanted to make the first round I ever hosted different, special compared to any I might be hosting later. I'm not going to pull a repeat of this game, though, since it got you mad, I got run off my feet, and I don't feel the need to do something like that again.

(looks out at audience) What the... (ducks to avoid a rotten tomato) Hey! Don't do that! (jumps to side, narrowly missing two plums and a pear) I said not to do that! (jumps, avoiding some old shoes) All right! All right! I'm going!

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 29 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

The point isn't to make it different (though that's not necessarily a bad thing), the point is to make it fun and rewarding. This one might have been fun for the players, but from an outsider's perspective it doesn't seem very rewarding.