Project Multi Sketch 2

by Lamkin, Kasofa1, Klublex, Silverwind, and Sidepipe!

Hopefully, a smaller version of Project Multi-Sketch will be completed by summer of 2009. The next FOUR people that say that they would like to participate will be in, and each person will do an area. Here are the rules so far:

Every parent-child or switch/door sprite must start with the number of your area. Ex.: 3carrier.rock

This will be all one level, unlike project multi-sketch.

Each participant will exactly 1 week to complete their area, and when the week is over they should PM it to me. I will create the transitions.

Each area may not be in the screen while another is, so keep your area away from the others.

The areas may be as big or as small as you like, just make sure to have done by the end of the week.

Please tell me what area you would like. Here are the bases for each area.

Background: You can put in whatever background you want, please know, however, that I will auto background the whole thing to plain paper at the end.

Area1: Red Gun

Area2: Super Beam and Mini Boss

Area3: Blue Gun and Super Pellets

Area4: Green Gun

Area5: Boss

If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. The level will begin once I have five participants.

Area1: Lamkin

Area2: Kasofa1

Area3: Klublex

Area4: Silverwind

Area5: Sidepipe

Thanks!

Klublex 🙂

( EDIT: this information is no longer accurate, please look to the most recent post for current information. 🙂

This post has been edited by Klublex : 20 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

I really like the concept, Klublex. (I'd have thrown my name in the ring for Sidepipe's contest as well, but I'm not that gifted when it comes to designing itty-bitty maps.) Anyway, I'd love to do one of the guns, as pretty much everybody can create a better boss than I can. One other thing is that there should probably be some sort of restriction on the size (i.e., bytes) of each "area," I suppose...that is, if you you wish to keep the entire level under 100k. (Otherwise I'll try not to bogart more than my share.) 😉 :rolleyes:

Sure, I'd like to do Area 5 because: A: I like making bosses, and B: I need some time for my contest. And since I'm going to be the last one, I will do the background for you.

BTW: Lamkin is one of the fastest-posting members I'VE ever seen...
EDIT2: Didn't you mean 4 at the start because the host is basically an automatic participant?
YET ANOTHER EDIT: It's OK, Lamkin. But the voting will be fun (only three maps)

This post has been edited by Sidepipe : 15 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

shouldn't there be a limit for the size of your area?

I think that, if compressed, we will be able to fit the maps in just fine. If we run into problems, I will make some changes. (we can always make it more than one level) Good point, though.

Another thing is that I am planning on doing a little beginning section (just wasteland walls and a "welcome to Mini Multi- Sketch") and also the transitions, (they will be similar to Project Multi Sketch, so you don't have to worry about that aspect).

thanks for the comments!

Klublex 🙂

@sidepipe, on Oct 15 2008, 06:10 AM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

Lamkin is one of the fastest-posting members I'VE ever seen...

Yeah, I've got perhaps too much time on my hands lately. 😉

@sidepipe, on Oct 15 2008, 06:10 AM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

It's OK, Lamkin. But the voting will be fun (only three maps)

I'm looking forward to it, and please know also that I hadn't meant my "itty-bitty" comment to sound sarcastic...I just like to use those two words together. 🙂

I might be able to complete a small area in one week.
and Klublex, how is Iceberg Fortress coming?

-K

@kasofa1, on Oct 15 2008, 10:02 AM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

I might be able to complete a small area in one week.
and Klublex, how is Iceberg Fortress coming?

-K

Great! 🙂 What area would you like, Kasofa?

Thanks for asking, it is going okay.
It has turned out to be a little longer than I would have liked, and some parts create a slow down even on my computer. 😞

Otherwise it's on my "final beta-testing point" where I'm all done with the level. I was planning on submitting on Halloween, but not sure I can wait any longer.

Just one more participant to go! 🙂

Klublex

I've just recently been playing Metroid Prime on my gamecube, and I have an interesting idea for a green gun/miniboss in the same level, but I don't think that will work, not unless I can make a miniboss for the green gun area.
other than that, I don't really care.
Happy level making!
-K

Area one is finished. 🙂 I'll PM it to Klublex. (Let's just say that there will be no "easing into" this level.) :mad:

A few updates:

Please insert text at the beginning of your area saying "Area _ by ______"

Don't worry about the size of the level, as I say:
The more the merrier! 🙂

Please connect your area to the transition from the previous area, and leave an open space at the end for me to make the next transition.

Thanks,

Klublex

This sounds really interesting. 🙂 Do you guys want me to sticky this and remove Multi-Sketch II, or leave that one up there as well?

@mackilroy, on Oct 16 2008, 10:46 PM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

This sounds really interesting. 🙂 Do you guys want me to sticky this and remove Multi-Sketch II, or leave that one up there as well?

Hmm...Mack, I'll politely defer to you and Klublex on this one, but I'd personally like to see it pinned up there alongside Multi-Sketch II. 🙂

I pinned it. Enjoy. 🙂

@mackilroy, on Oct 17 2008, 10:06 PM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

I pinned it. Enjoy. 🙂

Mwa-ha-ha!

It will stay on the front page forever and ever!

I am about to PM Kasofa the level for Area2, but we need one more participant!
Would like to do an area, Mackilroy? 🙂

Updates:
Sorry I forgot, Extra2 Links: Lamkin used none in his area, so each participant will get 50 extra2 links.

Kasofa: 1000-1049
Klublex: 1050-1099
?:1100-1149
Sidepipe:1150-1200

I understand that you can go above 1200, but I don't think there is any need in this level.

I will Auto Background the level when I add the transitions, just to make it easier for test-playing.

If you have your own special background, don't have it have the Extra2 of -999 , otherwise it will get deleted.

Klublex

@klublex, on Oct 18 2008, 09:11 AM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

I will Auto Background the level when I add the transitions, just to make it easier for test-playing.

If you have your own special background, don't have it have the Extra2 of -999 , otherwise it will get deleted.

Klublex

I'm of the opinion that having too much of a variety of backgrounds, colors, and textures will only cause the the level to look sloppy overall. In other words, with the exception of particular areas which necessitate a certain background, color, or texture, etc., (e.g., colored sprites, shadows, or pitch-dark rooms), it might be a good idea to have only one uniform background throughout the entire level. As I'd mentioned in a PM, I'd just hope you'd stay away from plain white paper, as it's slightly rough on my old eyeballs.
On a (somewhat related) side note, I think that probably all of the text which shows our names and areas should be more or less exactly the same size and font, as it will look more...collaborative, I guess.
(Just a couple of suggestions, of course, as you can do whatever you wish.):)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 18 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

@lamkin, on Oct 18 2008, 11:32 AM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

I'm of the opinion that having too much of a variety of backgrounds, colors, and textures will only cause the the level to look sloppy overall. In other words, with the exception of particular areas which necessitate a certain background, color, or texture, etc., (e.g., colored sprites, shadows, or pitch-dark rooms), it might be a good idea to have only one uniform background throughout the entire level. As I'd mentioned in a PM, I'd just hope you'd stay away from plain white paper, as it's slightly rough on my old eyeballs.
On a (somewhat related) side note, I think that probably all of the text which shows our names and areas should be more or less exactly the same size and font, as it will look more...collaborative, I guess.
(Just a couple of suggestions, of course, as you can do whatever you wish.):)

Yes, when you make the Area _ by ___ make it Extra1:2.

After much tedious work I made it so Lamkin's darn cardboard-like background wouldn't get deleted, so don't change you're mind again! 😉

Kasofa's working on Area2 now!

Come on, one more participant!

Klublex

Kublex: thanks for the kind offer, but I'm not that great at making levels. laughs

@klublex, on Oct 18 2008, 09:03 PM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

Yes, when you make the Area _ by ___ make it Extra1:2.

I, um, resized the text so it would look fairly prominent, as if I were the marquee designer. 😉

@klublex, on Oct 18 2008, 09:03 PM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

After much tedious work I made it so Lamkin's darn cardboard-like background wouldn't get deleted, so don't change you're mind again!

I hadn't really given much thought to using another background (until now). Hmm... 😛

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 19 October 2008 - 12:42 AM

I'll PM Silverwind to see if he wants to.

@sidepipe, on Oct 18 2008, 10:53 PM, said in Project Multi Sketch 2:

I'll PM Silverwind to see if he wants to.

Thanks, Sidepipe.

(Yay! Over 100 posts! 🙂 )

Klublex