The Temple of the Pen

@cheleball, on Feb 7 2007, 09:40 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

That would be the memory leaks. Probably. πŸ˜›

Almost certainly. Admittedly, it's 30% larger than the largest map I've opened, but that map has absolutely no problems- in fact, I just opened it to check for slowdowns, and the editor was snappier than it was when I was building the OnePage template. Try rebooting your editor.

In other news, that information about the current size of your map is very interesting. Do you happen to know its current pixel-wise dimensions?

Edwards

Rebooting the editor? I close it every time I start up SF for a test. As for dimensions in what manner do you want me to measure?

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Feb 8 2007, 10:07 AM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

Rebooting the editor? I close it every time I start up SF for a test. As for dimensions in what manner do you want me to measure?

Really? :blink: Sounds tedious. You can run SF in windowed mode, in parallel with the editor. The map file is reloaded each time you click it, so you can tweak, test, tweak, test again quickly.

Of course, you do have to watch out for the aforementioned memory leaks.

Anyway, I wonder now if there's some factor other than map size that contributes to (lack of) editor performance. Obstacle Course is 308 K, and I never noticed a problem with performance as the map got larger, just as the editor was left open longer.

Hmm, if the map gets large, the editor will chew processing power all by itself as how it displays the map is simply by continuously running the engine without culling, even when the map is not running and everything is idle. Yes, I can hear you scream from the other side of the Internet at the reading of this info. Editor memory leaks (as well as memory leaks in the main game) have been fixed for 1.0.1, but this behavior of the editor will be modified later.

@zacha-pedro, on Feb 8 2007, 05:59 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

Hmm, if the map gets large, the editor will chew processing power all by itself as how it displays the map is simply by continuously running the engine without culling, even when the map is not running and everything is idle. Yes, I can hear you scream from the other side of the Internet at the reading of this info. Editor memory leaks (as well as memory leaks in the main game) have been fixed for 1.0.1, but this behavior of the editor will be modified later.

So that is why it uses so much CPU on my machine! That's appalling! :rolleyes:

I have also hit > 380k and I feel my G4 laptop noticeably warming on my lap as soon as I open it in the editor. Really good to hear that has been fixed. I can't wait for the 1.0.1 version now πŸ™‚

This post has been edited by Crono : 08 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

Really good to hear that has been fixed. I can't wait for the 1.0.1 version now

Actually, he said it won't be fixed in 1.0.1, but later.

Editor memory leaks (as well as memory leaks in the main game) have been fixed for 1.0.1, but this behavior of the editor will be modified later.

This post has been edited by cheleball : 08 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

Just to keep interest up, here's a picture of the fire zone:

@cheleball, on Feb 8 2007, 10:51 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

Actually, he said it won't be fixed in 1.0.1, but later.

bah - Obviously my brain was reading what it wanted to see rather than what was there 😞

Waiting with much excitement for these temple levels that are coming out πŸ™‚

The screenshot looks interesting πŸ™‚ But I don't see any o' those little multiplying lava blobs, you can't have a Volcano without little multiplying lava blobs...

Well, I'm almost done with the fire zone/dungeon/sub-level. Boss design is hanging me up. I just can't come up with a good one. Anyhow, here's the preamble/backstory I wrote for this level:

Grotesque creatures have been sighted deep in the trackless forest of the Yucatan, and strange rumors of an ancient pyramid- which is neither Aztec nor Mayan- in the same area have been circulating in the archaeological community since the early 1930's. The Temple of the Pen, with all its horrible monsters and untold treasures is only a legend

or is it?

Journey deep into the heart of an ancient temple built to an unknown deity. Defeat the guardians and the treasure is yours. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. The guardians are numerous and powerful. Be prepared to die a thousand deaths before the ultimate victory is yours. You'll need all your wits about you, as well as your piloting skills and a good measure of luck if you want to make it out alive.

It will be up to you and your sketchy powers to outwit the diabolical designer of the temple. May the best sentience win.

I'm finding it rather easy, but that's probably because I've played it so much. PiSketch reports that it's really hard without saving. And that's today's TOTP update!

Well, I've finished the fire zone. I've done the entrance to the ice dungeon. Do you people mind that I don't have a lot of scenery in these things? It's not as pretty as the default SF levels. Anyhow, here's a new picture:

Has your level already passed the 600kb mark?

Last version i got was 94.68k, so i doubt it. Unless the Ice Area is five times the size of the rest of the level and is completed already.

That'd be pretty cool, actually...

Pi

@pisketch, on Feb 14 2007, 04:15 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

Last version i got was 94.68k, so i doubt it.

Ahm, I was talking about the unzipped version and the latest news I heard about it said something with 300-500KB.

Ah, unzipped. True. Completely forgot that it was zipped.

Checks on version in folder

552 KB.

624 KB

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Feb 14 2007, 05:51 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

624 KB

So it's as big as mine...

"I see that your (Level) is as big as mine. NowΒ—let's see how well you can handle it."

Feh, I announced my level to the public first πŸ˜›

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Feb 14 2007, 04:54 PM, said in The Temple of the Pen:

Feh, I announced my level to the public first πŸ˜›

And that announcement qualifies your map as vaporware until it's released. (See http://daringfirebal...6/12/omnivapor) Double- πŸ˜›

(Fending off defensive replies: I'm commenting light-heartedly, not mean-spiritedly. By definition, anything that's been announced but yet to be released is vaporware.)