Would You Play in a Competitive Mode Tournament?

Poll: [See thread title] (14 member(s) have cast votes)
Yes or No?
Yes
(12 votes [85.71%])
Percentage of vote: 85.71%
No
(2 votes [14.29%])
Percentage of vote: 14.29%

What do people here think of having a multiplayer tournament, using the Competitive mode?
I'm thinking of a simple elimination setup, spread over the course of a few weeks, with the winner of each pairing being determined by the best two out of three games. Map would be random (excluding Crazy Zone), time per game would be the standard four minutes.

If I get enough interest in this, I'll follow this post up with some ideas/questions about the implementation details.

Edwards

Hell, I'd play. I wouldn't get out of the first round, but I would play.

xander

Sounds like a plan Batman, er- Edwards. Definitely something I'd participate in. 🙂

Well, I'd be interested, too, if there won't be any problems with the different time zones.

I would play, although i would only be able to play around 6:30-8:00 Indiana time. I think it's eastern standard or something like that.

So, how about some details Edwards? Particularly on how you'd set it up. I mean, how could you stop people from cheating? (lying)

Registering scores: At the end of each game, both players should take a screenshot of the score sheet. After all three rounds, one player posts in the official tournament thread telling who the winner was, including their screenshots of the score sheets for all three games. The other player may dispute that post, and if both have screenshots proving their case, we get to look for evidence of PhotoShopping. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Schedule: Given the disparate schedules and timezones involved, it seems unlikely that it would be possible to run the entire tournament in a single session, or even to have one round in a single session. Therefore, I'm thinking of something more along the lines of what I've seen for the Redline tournaments: Each round needs to be completed in a fairly short time period, probably about a week. Beyond that, it is up to the players involved to find a time when they can meet.

Bad connections: It is an unfortunate fact that some people simply cannot play against each other due to bad connections. I'm not sure what to do if two such people end up scheduled to face each other. Any ideas?

The game's scoring system: It's been fun to be in the select club of people who figured out on their own what the quirks of the scoring system are, but in the interests of not giving the beta testers and a few other users an overwhelming advantage, all entrants should probably be told how to get decently high scores. Sigh

Edwards

Sounds solid enough. So what are you thinking time wise? After members have signed up of course.

Man, this would be much more fun if you could actually fight each other...

I would certainly play in this kind of thing, but I need to fix my NAT problem first. Also, I can probably only play from about 6:00 to 9:30 Texas time. 😞

--Flurrie

EDIT: I might have some problems playing from August to December (at any time of day), because I have band practice after school everyday, and a lot of other general work.

This post has been edited by Flurrie : 19 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

A tournament might get us a little more action back on the forums. Are you still thinking of setting this up Ed?

@silverwind, on Nov 20 2007, 04:07 PM, said in Would You Play in a Competitive Mode Tournament?:

A tournament might get us a little more action back on the forums. Are you still thinking of setting this up Ed?

wince

Yes, I'm still thinking of setting this up, but ask me again after finals. I may be able to do it over Winter Break, which starts around December 10th.

Now, if anyone has any thoughts on the questions I raised in my previous post, I do have time to read suggestions...

Edwards