Suggestions for 1.0.1

@bo-lindbergh, on Dec 5 2006, 08:50 AM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

Flip the saved game list so the newest one is on top or add a way to get to the end of the list without clicking the scroll button N times.

Maybe there could be an option for the newest saved games to be either shown on top or on the bottom of the list. I think I'll suggest this on the beta tester list as soon as I arrive on my "main" computer.

Edit: I sent it to the list some seconds ago. 🙂

Suggestion: Have the in-game High Scores list update whenever you view it- I looked at it after simX and I played a few games, and was somewhat annoyed to see that it was not displaying the most recent scores from the tracker page. I went in and out of the high scores screen a couple times, but it didn't show our new scores until I relaunched the game.

Edwards

Hmm...I will pass this off to Matt Slot as it is not supposed to happen.

@edwards, on Dec 2 2006, 03:16 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

If everything stayed dead the first time you killed it, the game would be pointlessly easy.

Edwards

You do have a point, Edwards. However, I think that it would be even more fun if the critters you face the second time and on were somehow different in type, location or quantity. I must have killed those two jellybeans on my way to the last star at least ten times. C'mon, if that is not boring and repetitive, what is?

Maybe I should explain this. When you saves, then you can still continue the level, but if you save, then quit the game, then the level reset to default.

@kauthor, on Dec 6 2006, 07:40 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

Maybe I should explain this. When you saves, then you can still continue the level, but if you save, then quit the game, then the level reset to default.

But he gets killed, so the level gets resetted anyway.

I want flaming ninjas and steak-knives in 1.0.1

Flying steak knives. Oooo...

OK, don't be too hard on my suggestion, but following the Nova board trend, I'd suggest too that SketchFighter go 3D, since it is already multiplayer. 🙂

@vicent-estrella, on Dec 7 2006, 06:02 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

OK, don't be too hard on my suggestion, but following the Nova board trend, I'd suggest too that SketchFighter go 3D, since it is already multiplayer. 🙂

I think this would ruin the game concept. 😜

SketchFighter 3D! w00t!

@vicent-estrella, on Dec 7 2006, 12:02 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

It's a trend that was doomed from the beginning – a lot of newbies simply didn't listen or didn't know.

Folks, in the spirit of Josh Tigerheart's topic, I have to say that this game is already 3D: it leverages the graphic hardware of your Mac by using OpenGL to draw everything.

OK, now more seriously. After fighting unsuccessfully the last Boss for about 20 times, I realized what this game needs. Super Missiles. Think about it. You get upgrades for all the primary weapons, but not the secondary one --the underperforming missile launcher. Every time I launch one missile and miss the Boss, I feel like I could use a bit of Good Ole Nova Targeting. Make them guided, that's my suggestion.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 7 2006, 05:09 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

Folks, in the spirit of Josh Tigerheart's topic, I have to say that this game is already 3D: it leverages the graphic hardware of your Mac by using OpenGL to draw everything.

I must also agree that it is 3D. Your screen represents the paper and the ship and everything, and the ship is manipulated by the keyboard. See how wide and long your keyboard is? Then look at your screen... It's out of the keyboard's plain, so it must be 3D.

@vicent-estrella, on Dec 7 2006, 05:41 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

OK, now more seriously. After fighting unsuccessfully the last Boss for about 20 times, I realized what this game needs. Super Missiles. Think about it. You get upgrades for all the primary weapons, but not the secondary one --the underperforming missile launcher. Every time I launch one missile and miss the Boss, I feel like I could use a bit of Good Ole Nova Targeting. Make them guided, that's my suggestion.

This might be nice, but it wouldn't be very interesting for a missile to target the exact place on the boss that needs attacking. There is no skill involved. And of course, if it doesn't go to the exact spot, then they are useless. If homing missiles are implemented, I vote that they be almost impossible to find.

Why do people keep trying to make this game similar to Escape Velocity? It's not EV, it never will be. Because it is online, it has a different engine, it behaves differently ...it's completely different. I really don't want to have to cultivate skills that I already have. It's more interesting to develop new skills for a new game, rather than old skills for a new game (someone mentioned strafing somewhere else).

This post has been edited by pruelva : 07 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

I'd like to see a mod that replaces the original game with new sprites, maps, sounds, etc., while retaining the same ship and upgrades. This total conversion should not be based on any games or movies or books.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Dec 7 2006, 01:44 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

I'd like to see a mod that replaces the original game with new sprites, maps, sounds, etc., while retaining the same ship and upgrades. This total conversion should not be based on any games or movies or books.

Unfortunately, the file format for the built-in maps is not the same as that for the plug-in maps, so it would take a lot of hacking to convert everything properly. Even then, I suspect that a large portion of the built-in scenario is hard-coded into the game, so that would make it even hard to do a true total conversion (not to mention potential issues with the high score list...).

However, it seems that if there is any limit on the size of plug-in maps, it is extremely high, so if saving is implemented for custom maps, it should be quite possible to make a TC-sized map, and package it with new graphics and such.

Edwards

@pruelva, on Dec 7 2006, 01:49 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.1:

Why do people keep trying to make this game similar to Escape Velocity? It's not EV, it never will be. Because it is online, it has a different engine, it behaves differently ...it's completely different. I really don't want to have to cultivate skills that I already have. It's more interesting to develop new skills for a new game, rather than old skills for a new game (someone mentioned strafing somewhere else).

Funny thing you say that, I was just about to say that it'd be nice to have planets, storylines, interstellar commerce, galactic wars, alien races, Polaron Torpedoes, Nanites, Sigma Shipyards-like upgrades and other Nova-like features on SketchFighter, and just turn this whole thing into another EV TC? But I suppose you'd say no to that too. Big 🙂

How about supporting gamepads/joysticks?

I would suggest more multiplayer modes, but I haven't really played enough multiplayer to know what's there. I do, however, think the multiplayer will eventually need more noise-filtering options, like the ability to ignore specific players. I also wish we could make custom multiplayer maps (if we already can, do please correct me).