Open Source TC

All right, I'll do that. Just need email addresses to share with now. By the way, I didn't boot everyone, just my old compie that I don't even own anymore (and may no longer even be functional) and the computer who wiped everything (last activity date matched the wipe date, nobody else had been active for a year).

Most of the files were modified last year or earlier. I did, however, recently do some things, namely replaced some of the .rez files since they were corrupted (probably a result of being wiped and restored twice). I also accidentally overwrote one of the spobs (Marotiri, ID 128) and its desc, so if anyone has some older back-ups, would they mind uploading a plug with that spob and its desc? But, if you have some files to add, go right ahead! Just remember not to edit the Version Control Files directly.

Okay, I'll bin/zip everything up and send it in one big heap. It's messy, but I'm less likely to miss anything.

QUOTE (JoshTigerheart @ Feb 2 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's very little text in there right now that needs spell checking. But, if you want to help, I'll send you the new password so you can download Dropbox, log-in to the OSTC account, and sync up.

I wouldn't mind. I can also LunarCell some planet graphics if you need them.

Would it be possible to look at this? I know it's not done.... Call it curiosity.

-STH

Sure. If you have a Drop Box, I'll share the OSTC folder with you.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 02 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Ok, i'm hoping this is the place to post.

How about implementing the option for playing as some sort of alien hivemind/fleet? Much like The Tyranids from WH40K or the Zerg. I mean.. that'd be.. AWESOME!

for those who don't know the tyranid from WH40K: http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Tyranids

This post has been edited by nickgoeshere : 15 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

Hi, and welcome to the boards! That's not a bad idea, using a simple char resource. There are, however, two things. First, someone would need graphics to base ships off of, and secondly, I think this project has slowed a little too much, and I don't really know what happened to it. Anyway, that's a good idea, if you could fit it in.

"Slowed a little too much" is an understatement.

Yeah, I kinda figured that after the DB thing...

That is indeed a pity.. I, myself, do not know how to Code, but i might, however, know someone who can do the graphics.

I'm guessing it would be:
1 "infested" world.
1 (generic in size according to number of worlds devoured) organic blob, representing the hive.
(several) small slimy bugs. (for ships)
1 "post infection" world. (as in: A scorched rock?)

Am i missing something? (most likely: Yes. A lot.)

By the way, though i might not be able to code, i'm a great spellchecker, and might be able to fulfill other tasks as well. Let me know if i can give ya' a hand.

@nickgoeshere, on Jan 6 2011, 03:16 PM, said in Open Source TC:

That is indeed a pity.. I, myself, do not know how to Code, but i might, however, know someone who can do the graphics.

Coding for NOVA is, in fact, completely different from any other kind of coding. You don't need to know much about any programming language to do it - all you need is either David Arthur's Mission Computer, ResEdit with Nova Tools (might need to search to find that one- but it is my favorite), or a Windows NOVA editor (not sure which ones exist- I don't usually use them). Read the NOVA Bible and get cracking!

@nickgoeshere, on Jan 6 2011, 03:16 PM, said in Open Source TC:

I'm guessing (the graphic requirements) would be:
1 "infested" world.
1 (generic in size according to number of worlds devoured) organic blob, representing the hive.
(several) small slimy bugs. (for ships)
1 "post infection" world. (as in: A scorched rock?)

Am i missing something? (most likely: Yes. A lot.)

I'd agree - you're probably missing a lot. Personally, I'd make a couple of different 'infested' worlds - one for each standard size in NOVA, and a couple of 'destroyed' worlds/stations; a smallish 'ship'; a medium 'ship'; a largish 'ship'; a cargo 'ship'; and the flying hive (which is the player?). Images for weapons/upgrades would also be necessary.

Now, while it is sad that this conversion has stalled out, it is not impossible for you to recruit plug-programmers and make your own addon (rather than Total Conversion) to NOVA. Your idea sounds interesting and exciting, and is something I know I hadn't really thought about doing. You could allow the player to play as this hive race trying to conquer the galaxy- when planets are devoured they are either destoyed or infested, and once infested you can use them/some of them as hive planets. Humanity (all the other main races, which I'm 99% sure are actually human) must unite against your onslaught; and you purchase/research upgrades to your massive fleet of alien beings. Alternatively, you can make it so that the aliens come after one of the strings and start ransacking the galaxy, and you need to unite Humanity to stop them.

It'd be a ton of work, but not as much as a TC would have been. Look at the topics, the nova bible, and ask questions if you need help.

Meaker is right, EV coding doesn't have a lot to do with programming languages. Also...

@meaker-vi, on Jan 7 2011, 08:25 AM, said in Open Source TC:

(all the other main races, which I'm 99% sure are actually human)

Yes, all the races in EVN are human, no aliens exist beyond the Wraith (

Spoiler

the Krypt Pods are nanites created by the Vell-os that attained awareness, not alien space orbs

).

Additionally, as nickgoeshere said earlier, I too would like a chance to play as the aliens in this hypothetical add-on, not just as the normal player that suddenly has to unite humanity against them. It might be wise to add a second chär (character resource) allowing this.

Although we throw it around, the term "coding" is a bit of a misnomer for EV development. For example, to make a ship, you basically just put a bunch of numbers into some fields that look good to you, select a few things from a couple of drop down menus, then check a bunch of boxes, and finally test it to see if your ship behaves how you want it to be.

If anyone wanted to pick up this project, they'd be welcome to. I didn't lie when I called it "open source". My only request is that if someone does pick it up, that they try to more or less follow the current premise of the universe set up. If you wanted to do something completely different from the three-way war, you wouldn't be saving much work by using what's here. And if you wanted to pick up the project but someone else did and you don't like their direction... well, it's open source, grab a copy and go your direction.

Well: i've been playing a bit around with MissionComputer now, and it is indeed quite easy to figure out i must admit.

However, seeing how i am attending a study which will last for 4 months more, i haven't got the time to get to know MissionComputer well enough to begin making a minimod. So i'm asking: Anyone else wanna pick up on the idea? Though i do not have the time, for the time being, to learn MissComp. sufficiently, i can still contribute in a different way. (spellcheck, maybe even a sprite or two (or more), storyline, background, something.

@darthkev, on Jan 7 2011, 05:49 PM, said in Open Source TC:

no aliens exist beyond the Wraith

You are mistaken. TWCB aside, there are also the hyperioids, possibly TCTLIDS and certainly numerous forms of native life on many planets: as an example, I present the Cunjo.

@prophile, on Jan 10 2011, 01:08 AM, said in Open Source TC:

You are mistaken. TWCB aside, there are also the hyperioids, possibly TCTLIDS and certainly numerous forms of native life on many planets: as an example, I present the Cunjo.

I meant sentient life, and figured that went without saying. Hyperoids, last I knew, were pretty much space cows. I doubt TCTLIDS are sentient (after all, aren't they some sort of microbes?), same goes for alien wildlife on other planets.

Edit: I'm unsure what TWCB stands for, however.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 10 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

@meaker-vi, on Jan 7 2011, 05:25 PM, said in Open Source TC:

You don't need to know much about any programming language to do it - all you need is either David Arthur's Mission Computer, ResEdit with Nova Tools (might need to search to find that one- but it is my favorite), or a Windows NOVA editor (not sure which ones exist- I don't usually use them).

EVNEW is, to date, the only Windows Nova editor.

@darthkev, on Jan 10 2011, 01:30 PM, said in Open Source TC:

I meant sentient life, and figured that went without saying. Hyperoids, last I knew, were pretty much space cows. I doubt TCTLIDS are sentient (after all, aren't they some sort of microbes?), same goes for alien wildlife on other planets.

Edit: I'm unsure what TWCB stands for, however.

Well, there is the knup-knups of Tau Prime. They are very much not main or major, but they are sapient, at least to the level of chimpanzees, and quite likely somewhat beyond that.

TWCB stands for 'Those Who Came Before', I think.

This post has been edited by LordInsane : 10 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

@joshtigerheart, on 07 January 2011 - 01:16 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Although we throw it around, the term "coding" is a bit of a misnomer for EV development. For example, to make a ship, you basically just put a bunch of numbers into some fields that look good to you, select a few things from a couple of drop down menus, then check a bunch of boxes, and finally test it to see if your ship behaves how you want it to be.

If anyone wanted to pick up this project, they'd be welcome to. I didn't lie when I called it "open source". My only request is that if someone does pick it up, that they try to more or less follow the current premise of the universe set up. If you wanted to do something completely different from the three-way war, you wouldn't be saving much work by using what's here. And if you wanted to pick up the project but someone else did and you don't like their direction... well, it's open source, grab a copy and go your direction.

As i explore more of the forums i find myself here lol
Well my tc idea is a 3 way war via 3 races fighting 2 of which fighting the larger, 2 super advanced races fighting each other and 2 ancient alien races one of which being extinct (tech still lingers in the form of outfits/ships)
http://www.ambrosias...0 link to forum.
Id be more then willing to incorporate ideas from here but i do have a general direction to the main story so it wont be open open source.
However if anyone wanted to create pirate factions and corporate side factions or side empires and work on misc. details to add to the scope of the game itself (trying make my tc something epic filled with tons of side quests (IE fallout series like)
So i guess what im saying is id be happy to take the reins of this project partially and be a sort of boss. i promise i wont be a prick lol. My only request is please keep things balanced ie no one hitter quiter weapons and nothing that detracts from the gameplay itself.
Id only act as a deadline boss and have no real authority other then whats been previously mentioned. even then i expect something of this scope to take a years worth of development to ensure quality. People could be put into teams each team designing one aspect of the game. Ie team one would be lead by someone who has lots of time to develop with his teammates being people of varying schedules. The larger teams would be for key aspects of the game ie main faction races. will smaller low time frame teams could contribute to side factions or just general exploration.
So i guess my first question would be a group vote of yah's or nah's to my proposed statement.

Is this project still going?
Need any sounds? I have some leftover weapon sounds from a project I started long ago.

@o-hai, on 28 April 2011 - 06:17 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Is this project still going?
Need any sounds? I have some leftover weapon sounds from a project I started long ago.

I could use them.