Open Source TC

Hmm. Well, I'd like to help, but I don't know how to work crons, and I don't know how to add new ships into the game. Are there any guides (ASIDE from the Nova Bible) that I could look at? If so, I might be able to do something.

The way I learned how to do these things was a guide called TutorialsInS.sea If you go to the Addons page and then Guides, sort by Name and go to the 4th page you will find it. It is a 1.5mb download, but it is worth it.

Piffle. I already have that, but I don't have the Nova Tools package that it says I need. Do you know where I can find it?

Hello? :huh:

Hello? Who's there?

You'll probably be able to navigate your way through the guide using Mission Computer if you use your head.

Although, if you want to use the outdated, NovaTools is available on the addons page.

(Comment to normal board link-posters - what do you think of this as a method to show d/l links, with description? It'll point to the right page until 15 more addons are posted with names that sort before Nova, and after that it'dn't be too many pages subsequent - for newer addons, of course, we can sort by date, so there'll be no shifting. Also it has the advantage of showing updates).

Hmm...page 43.95. Hadn't thought of that. Was it hard to come up with that number?

I just paged through until I got it on the right page, and then noted it was the last of 15 items. 14/15=.9333..., and I checked .93 first while doing math in my head, and it still showed second. So, since only two digits are necessary, the minima being:
but I was lazy at the time and neither bothered with the math (there must be something wrong with me, more than usual!) nor actually try .95, and besides, rounding to 1/20ths is prettier.

On a related note, which you can get a page containing zero elements by passing a page greater than the max, passing something less than 1 gives an error. So, a link from page, say, 1.1 will have an invalid link, since the only check is obvious don't link to page == 0;
It saddens me that you can't put something like PI in.

If you could put something like pi or e into it, then everyone would be competing to have their plugin be that number! I know I would love to be able to say, "go to page e and my plugin will be first."

QUOTE (Nonconventionally Creative @ Jul 6 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although, if you want to use the outdated, NovaTools is available on the addons page.

(Comment to normal board link-posters - what do you think of this as a method to show d/l links, with description? It'll point to the right page until 15 more addons are posted with names that sort before Nova, and after that it'dn't be too many pages subsequent - for newer addons, of course, we can sort by date, so there'll be no shifting. Also it has the advantage of showing updates).

Thank you!

EDIT: Drat. It didn't have the tool I needed. I'll stop hijacking this thread and start my own. <_<

This post has been edited by Odie : 07 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

You guys still working on this? I'd love to beta test or even alpha test once you have something working. I can't offer much more help than that due to my own project, but I'd love to see this completed!

After all, I only found this because Jalisurr linked to it in another, more recent thread.

There hasn't been any progress I'm aware of in a good while, not since the initial enthusiasm dropped like a rock.

That said, given the nature of this project, anyone can pick it up at anytime and contribute as much or as little as they want to it, provided the links in the first topic still work. And if they don't... well, I still have all the files. I might throw some more into it a bit down the road, but I'm definitely not going to try to tackle it by myself. I know for a fact I won't have the time to get anywhere significant flying solo.

Edit: Poking into the Dropbox again, it appears someone wiped the files recently and had also been using it for private purposes. I'm going to change the password on it to lock them out. Please PM me for the new password if you would like access to the project.

Edit 2: It seems that a bunch of files got broken. Mission Computer, at least on my computer, refuses to open the version control files, the DU files, etc. I'm going to go ahead and update the VC files with the stuff from my hard drive so there's something workable on there for anyone wanting to add to the project.

Edit 3: Can anyone with an older back-up and access go in and overwrite Fort Monastery with Marotiri? I inadvertently replaced it and can't find a old enough with it in there. I do have the Fort Monastery spob backed up though.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 02 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

If you guys need any help, I wouldn't mind going through the files and editing all the descriptions for grammar mistakes, spelling errors, etc.

There's very little text in there right now that needs spell checking. But, if you want to help, I'll send you the new password so you can download Dropbox, log-in to the OSTC account, and sync up.

How about making the OSTC folder a DropBox shared folder? That way, those with DropBox accounts can link in, and not have to mess up their own setups?

I was wondering the same thing. I have a Dropbox account already, and if I were to help, I'd have to disconnect from it in order to do that.

As I'm using that account currently for HOTS, that's not possible. However, if it was a shared folder, I might be able to put some stuff in there that might be useful now an then.

QUOTE (Geek @ Feb 3 2010, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about making the OSTC folder a DropBox shared folder? That way, those with DropBox accounts can link in, and not have to mess up their own setups?

I wouldn't know how to do this or how to keep completely random people from outside the Nova community from messing with the files. If I remember though, you had a computer linked to the drop box. Would you mind setting that up?

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 03 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Go to your Dropbox account online (not the folder on your computer) and go to the files section. Near the top (just above the list of folders) you'll see a link for sharing a folder. Click on that and it'll ask you to put in the e-mail addresses for whomever you want to share the folder with. Only those people (and yourself, obviously) will be able to do stuff with the folder, no one else.

Let us know if you want to share the folder, and I'll give you my e-mail so you can invite me to use it.

I would set it up, but I've got my own DropBox account, and I would have to unlink in order to set up this one. Just do like darthkev outlined, and it will work fine. Other DropBox accounts will never see the folder unless invited. Thus if someone starts messing around, you only need to disconnect their sharing access rather than boot everyone and change the password.

Do you know when the last time the files were modified was? I've got files up to around January 7th of last year, and lots of planet graphics.