Public Plug-in Project
This topic is to here to facilitate the discussion and serve as the medium of communication for the to-be named public, open source TC. This project is open to the public, anyone can help out, at anytime. If you'd like to help, just read on. There's a few guidelines that is strongly recommended you follow to help keep things going smoothly.
This topic will be updated with relevant information, such as project status, file download locations, what resources are used where, and so forth. It will probably get pretty long after some time, but to keep minor issues such as resource ID conflicts from slowing things down, keeping comprehensive information will be pretty important.
Ideas, contributions, and donations are all welcome.
Anyways, here's the present guidelines for anyone wishing to contribute. If you have any suggestions or objections regarding these, feel free to voice them.
- Original content please. In other words, nothing from Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek, Futurama, Hitchhiker's, etc. This will be an original universe. Content from your abandoned projects, however, are always welcome.
- A general consensus needs to be present for everything we use. It can be assumed that, if nobody objects, consensus is present. However, big, important things, like a mission string, should be discussed before being added.
- Contributors and donors must be open to having others edit and modify their contributions. You may write an awesome planet description, for example, but it'd seem awkward if it didn't fit the tone and style of the rest of the text.
- Contributors and donors must also be willing to go with something they don't quite agree with. For example, if they want to add a super-powered malevolent alien species who swoops in and kills everything and the general consensus isn't for it, then they'd need to be fine not having them if they wished to continue developing. We don't want to stall the whole thing just because a couple of people disagree with something.
- None of the plans are set in stone. An idea that sounds good might not be so good later, and vice versa.
- Public discussion is key. Informing people of your progress and additions, as well as distributing them, are very important. Feedback is critical. If someone adds a weapon, it'd be best if others look at it and see if it needs anything changed about it.
- When you make a resource, please also create all directly related resources. For example, if you create a weapon, please create the outfit resource and its description. If you can, also add outfit graphics, weapon sprites, and firing sounds. If you can't, then please use obvious placeholders. Also, please note all IDs you used in the Vital Statistics file.
- Please keep a log of your actions so we know who has done what.
Now for the vital statistics and all...
File Hosting Location: We are using a shared account at http://getdropbox.com for this TC. You'll need to go there and download the program for your operating system, make an account, and then then link your computer to it. Then just give me or someone else with main account access the email address you use and I'll send you a shared folder invite.
The email for the main account is ossNovaTC (at) gmail (dot) com. I'm going to hold off on making the main account accessible to everyone to avoid file wipes and having to lock out everyone to block one offender.
Please keep back-ups of the files stored locally on your computer! This account is public, so someone could come and wipe out the files in theory. If everyone has back-ups, then there's no worries of such a thing ever setting us back.
Current distribution files (Do not edit these!): Open Source TC Seed
Current development files: DU Data 1, DU Graphics, DU Essentials, ICC, Phoenix-Class Missile
Donations: Random Sounds, Point of Origin Ships, Earth Donation, Ships
General Overview of Scenario: Three-way war, most likely between human factions. Earth is involved in some important way, such as being contested, lost, depopulated, or something else..
Resources IDs used (taken from the OSTC Seed file):
cicn: 10000-10023, 15000, 15001, 18000, 18001, 20000
desc: 128-136, 3000-3009, 4000-4003, 5000-5002, 10000, 10004, 10007, 10008 13000, 13001, 13004, 14000, 14001 32760-32767
pers: 128, 129
PICT: 131, 510, 700, 3000, 3001, 3004, 5000, 5001, 5004, 6000-6009 7500-7508, 7600-7608, 8000, 8010, 8020, 8021, 8030-8032, 8050-8055, 8060-8065, 8080, 8081, 8100, 8500-8533, 8540-8543, 8550-8553, 8560-8563, 9000, 10002, 10004, 10034, 10059, 11010, 11014, 20129
rle8: 200, 500, 700, 800, 1000, 1126, 1400, 1600, 2000, 4000
rleD: 200-203, 214, 301-303 500, 700, 800, 1000, 1008, 1126, 1400, 1600, 2000, 2003-2005, 2010, 2034, 2059, 4000, 4032, 4033
shan: 128-132, 895
snd: 128-130, 150-154, 200, 201, 211, 301, 302, 370, 371, 400, 600-603
spĂŻn: 400, 500-504, 600-610, 650, 700, 800, 1000, 1003-1005, 1010, 1034, 1059, 3000-3008
STR#: 128, 130, 134, 138, 150, 1000, 1100, 2002, 3000-3002, 4000-4004, 5003, 6999, 7500-7503
Current Developers: (Please add yourself if you're not on here).
Inactive Developers: JoshTigerheart, Qaanol, Werhner, Nonconventionally Creative, 0101181920', GrayShirtNinja, Of Doom, Geek, Jacabyte, Jalisurr, Kyos
Donors: EVWeb (All Enigma graphics sans logo)
Other credits: Will be added if material created by people not a part of the boards (no longer or ever) is used.
(Darn post merging!)
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want to muddy it with the stuff here that isn't statistics and all that (any I missed you think?)
Anyways, first, LNSU and Visitor have stuff they both can loan out that might be useful. Personally, I don't think we need a pre-defined galaxy map, mainly since I don't want to be locked into any particular size. I'd rather create systems as we need them so the galaxy naturally grows to the appropriate size. But the other stuff could prove useful and give us a bit of a jump start, even if we were to scrap all of it in the long run.
Anyways, here's a few scenario ideas I've come up with. Feel free to comment on them and voice your own.
A true three-way war. Not like Nova's vague three-way conflict, but total war more like EVO's strands. Could be between multiple human factions, or have aliens thrown in. Or even have each side mixed of humans and aliens. In this scenario, I'd be neat if none of the sides were ethically superior, but rather each has their high points and low points so that none can be called either good or evil. Naturally, the player could work for any of the three sides.
Another galaxy, arguably more unified. There's a government, but everything is really controlled by large, powerful corporations. Specifically, two powerful corporations. These two corporations control their own fleets and might as well be considered governments for all intents and purposes. They fight to get a monopoly on the market. The player could work for either side or perhaps other groups who don't like companies with so much power.
Alien menace from beyond, could be worked into the above or other ideas. However, not the typical evil species with powerful ships and all. Rather, something like a dimensional traveling species. The player will most likely never see their worlds, if they have any at all. They appear in systems mysteriously and attack and will certainly need to be an "Oh crap!" group for the player to fight. Could work well in other stories, appearing at a later point, perhaps as a random branch so sometimes they appear and you have to fight them, sometimes they don't.
Off the top of my head, that's all I have. We probably won't be able to do a whole lot without getting a vague idea of the scenario, even with nice donations.
As for file hosting, I'm good with whatever you guys come up with. I'm not familiar enough in the field beyond using an ordinary file hosting service, which might not be the best idea, or uploading to the addons page, which isn't advisable for something like this.
As for the seed, due my network constantly dropping my connection, I can't upload anything. Though it won't do much good at the moment and it's just an Absolute Minimum type file.
This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 03 February 2010 - 07:50 PM