EVN - Delphi

OK, Phlogios, that sounds good. Where are these video tutorials?

@0101181920, on Oct 9 2007, 02:04 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

OK, Phlogios, that sounds good. Where are these video tutorials?

Try reading everything you can at Blender and BlenderArt. There is a good book called Blender 3D: Noob to Pro, and you can find it here: Noob to Pro

Thanks, Phlogios. I'm doing pretty well with Sketchup right now, but I'll give it a look as soon as I can.

Still here! Just working hard on both Delphi and life itself.

I'll start doing some SketchUp tutorials soon here, once I get some together.

Sit tight.

Yes, I know I used the wrong color table when I did this model. That's okay. It's just a rough draft.

Posted Image

The Nichron Turret.

Now I'm going back to work. 😛

Nifty!

Oh, and by the way, I remember you saying something on EV nova.net about having entire houses worth of space for each crewman. Is that still happening?

@shlimazel, on Oct 28 2007, 05:00 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Nifty!

Oh, and by the way, I remember you saying something on EV nova.net about having entire houses worth of space for each crewman. Is that still happening?

Feh. That's physically impossible, Shlimazel. Even on a luxury yacht, the owner doesn't get that much room. On an Aegis -class command ship (the largest vessel in EVN:UGF), the admiral gets a 25 m2 (82 sq ft) stateroom (bedroom, bathroom, ready room, and closet), officers get a one-room apartment about 5 m2 (~16˝ sq ft) with a refresher station, and enlisted men and noncoms have four bunks to a five-meter room. There really isn't much room on board a ship.

(I worked out the measurements for use in my novellas, by the way; it probably won't figure into the plug.)

This post has been edited by StarSword : 28 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

I know that. But that's what Delphi said he was going to do before.

shrug His math was off.

@starsword, on Oct 28 2007, 05:37 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

shrug His math was off.

Uh... That's on a BOAT. Not a STARSHIP in the FUTURE with MINIATURIZATION and TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS etc. How is it Physically impossible? Time and cost constraints are the only limiters.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Oct 28 2007, 06:04 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Uh... That's on a BOAT. Not a STARSHIP in the FUTURE with MINIATURIZATION and TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS etc. How is it Physically impossible? Time and cost constraints are the only limiters.

The Aegis -class command ship is not a BOAT, it's a STARSHIP in the FUTURE with MINIATURIZATION and TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS etc. Even if your central computer core is the size of your thumb, even if you have guns that don't need barrels, you can't miniaturize the CREW MEMBERS.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Cosmic.

@starsword, on Oct 28 2007, 06:28 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

The Aegis -class command ship is not a BOAT, it's a STARSHIP in the FUTURE with MINIATURIZATION and TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS etc. Even if your central computer core is the size of your thumb, even if you have guns that don't need barrels, you can't miniaturize the CREW MEMBERS.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Cosmic.

But you can enlarge SHIPS THEMSELVES.

Ok guys, calm down. We don't want any more increases in text sizes. Something might get broken.

The biggest ship in the NDC universe is 32 kilometers long; the NCS Chrenari. People aboard NDC starships rely heavily on automation on the part of the ship itself and the advanced computers onboard, negating the need for ridiculous crew numbers. On civilian ships, people have very large, luxurious living spaces, some as large as small houses, but with certain facilities being community-based (mess hall, lounge areas, etc), these modules are not included in individual cabin design. Suffice it to say though, they're comfortable. On the military ships, living spaces are sometimes awkward, but certainly not cramped, largely because weapon facilitation and ship mechanics take precedent over the inhabitants living therein, meaning that cabins are built into the structure simply wherever there isn't a weapon emplacement or vital ship system taking up the space. As a result, crew compartments are haphazardly strewn about the ship, but most living areas are centralized around the forward center of the craft, surrounded by weapons and computers.

So I don't want anybody getting the crazy idea that people are flying around in these massive military mansions, but at the same time I would like it noted that the NDC ships are far more yielding in terms of individual comfort than modern oceanic cruisers.

EDITED because I read StarSword's statement wrong and thought he was talking about the previously conceptualized AEGIS oceanic flagship, until I looked over it again. Apologies.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 28 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

Okay, I just wanted to ask about that.

All this talk of space aboard a ship has reminded me of a series of books I once read. One of the characters was the owner and operator of a salvage ship. The thing was a piece of junk, being various ship hulls, human and alien, welded together. The thing changed in appearance thruought the series as he collected more junk and attached it to his ship. The thing is in a constant state of crampness because of his unorthodox storage methods: cargo in the cargo hold, cargo attached to the outer hull, and cargo filling every nook and cranny in the crew compartment. Maybe you could use a similar idea in your total conversion. Maybe the player can purchase recycled, hodgepodge ships.

Yes, doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, but it did get me thinking.

@scienceguy8, on Oct 28 2007, 07:08 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

All this talk of space aboard a ship has reminded me of a series of books I once read. One of the characters was the owner and operator of a salvage ship. The thing was a piece of junk, being various ship hulls, human and alien, welded together. The thing changed in appearance thruought the series as he collected more junk and attached it to his ship. The thing is in a constant state of crampness because of his unorthodox storage methods: cargo in the cargo hold, cargo attached to the outer hull, and cargo filling every nook and cranny in the crew compartment. Maybe you could use a similar idea in your total conversion. Maybe the player can purchase recycled, hodgepodge ships.

Yes, doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, but it did get me thinking.

There aren't any "flying junkyard" ships as you described in Delphi, as they tend to be a navigational hazard and a general eyesore to other ships around them. However, there are several used ships which are quite a bit more extreme in that term than most of the ones in Nova. If you are truly low on cash, or simply want the nostalgic pleasure, you can fly a shield-less 300-year-old Colonial Rescue Vessel, an ancient craft dating back to the time immediately following the Orion War, when raw materials had to be delivered as quickly as possible to floundering border outposts.

The irony of it is, despite these ships' original purpose, it was their inefficiency that ultimately led to the starvation and devastation of many outer worlds, and their eventual secession from the United Colonial Authority, after which they formed the conglomerate currently recognized as the Enclave Colonies, the major space faction currently entangled in a bitter war with the Nova Defense Coalition.

So in other words, if you feel up to it, you can feel free to fly around in the ship that essentially caused the entire war you're now caught up in, along with the billions of deaths associated with it. Have fun.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 29 October 2007 - 03:09 AM

I Should've Been a Director, not a Designer

I was just taking a look at some of Coraxus' graphics for his EV:O revamp, and just- wow. I'm starting to realize how infinitely meager my current level of 3D design is. I think I'll take a break from cruiser design for the time being and work on the physics of the game itself. I need to practice a little more with Blender, or something...

I was wondering for a truly nostalgic feel you could add the current space shuttles. They could be like super used and stuff but that would be really cool

Your stuff is great, Delphi. Better than mine, at least. If you stop working on something when you see someone who can do that better, you won't ever improve.

@ekhawkman, on Oct 29 2007, 11:08 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I was wondering for a truly nostalgic feel you could add the current space shuttles. They could be like super used and stuff but that would be really cool

Perhaps, but the current shuttles are only capable of orbital flight.