MissionComputer: The Saga Continues

I once again find myself in need of batch-PICT export as PNG.

Also, for the above-mentioned hypothetical star map information display, it would be great if there were a way to specify a particular NCB-set string, and only show systems visible when exactly those bits are set.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 07 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

…and now I need batch-import PICT from PNG.

Edit: Okay, here’s the situation. I want to perform a mass image adjustment to every ship. So I first use DeRLE to convert the rlëD resources to PICT resource. Then I need some way to batch-export the PICT resources to image files, preferably png. Then I use a script or action or other method of my own design to perform the same operation on the whole folder of sprite images. Maybe a tint, maybe some other image editing. Whatever I happen to be doing, it’s the same thing to every ship. Then I take that folder of modified png sprite images and need to batch-import them as PICT resources (I’d be fine with them just getting sequential resource IDs and myself manually correcting those, although getting RID from filename would be nice too). Then, since they still use the same shäns, I just run EnRLE, and have myself a plug-in with some visual modification to every ship.

Problem is, I don’t know any way to import a whole folder of images into PICT resources, nor export a whole slew of PICT resources into separate image files.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 07 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Dec 7 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I once again find myself in need of batch-PICT export as PNG.

I'll give it some thought, but PICT is a very inconvenient format to handle through anything other than system calls, which for various reasons aren't really up to the task any more. It might be worth looking at tools that aren’t EV-specific; I know GraphicConverter has functions that are at least similar to what you're looking for.

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Dec 7 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, for the above-mentioned hypothetical star map information display, it would be great if there were a way to specify a particular NCB-set string, and only show systems visible when exactly those bits are set.

Pontus's tools for EV and EVO had this, and I’d very much like to offer it as well. The problem is that in EV Nova , mission bits are much more complicated, so I’d have to write a complete NCB parser, and work out some way of having the map apply it that didn't slow things down impossibly.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Dec 8 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll give it some thought, but PICT is a very inconvenient format to handle through anything other than system calls, which for various reasons aren't really up to the task any more. It might be worth looking at tools that aren’t EV-specific; I know GraphicConverter has functions that are at least similar to what you're looking for.

Really? It can pull out/put in multiple PICT resources? I’ll definitely check that out.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Dec 8 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pontus's tools for EV and EVO had this, and I’d very much like to offer it as well. The problem is that in EV Nova , mission bits are much more complicated, so I’d have to write a complete NCB parser, and work out some way of having the map apply it that didn't slow things down impossibly.

Good point. I don’t know of anyone who has done so, but it would conceivably be possible to make a system only be visible if the pilot is female, and owns at least one of a certain outfit, and has not explored some particular system (possibly itself!)

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Dec 8 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. I don’t know of anyone who has done so, but it would conceivably be possible to make a system only be visible if the pilot is female, and owns at least one of a certain outfit, and has not explored some particular system (possibly itself!)

Actually, Polycon has at least one system controlled by a bit expression contingent on owning a black-market lens.

MissionComputer 4.1.1 is now available from davidarthur.evula.net. It features new display modes and improved exporting in the star-map editor; and improvements to the document window, which now remembers its size, and deletes resources much faster.

Awesome, thanks!

/glee

Bug report: In the MakeRLE utility, adding a mask image before the sprite image causes a nil object routine error and an unexpected quit.

QUOTE (Jalisurr @ Dec 13 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bug report: In the MakeRLE utility, adding a mask image before the sprite image causes a nil object routine error and an unexpected quit.

Fixed, thanks.

When you are in the STR# editor, would it be possible for you to make it so that you can select a line and delete with the backspace (or some other shortcut) and make it so that you can select more than one line at a time via shift+click?

Implemented! 🙂

Very cool, thank you! That will speed up large scale STR# editing enormously.

I wish someone would update EVNEW like this. I could use MC for Windows.

This post has been edited by rafy23 : 14 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

It is, in theory, on its way.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Dec 15 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is, in theory, on its way.

Sort of, but on the other hand you're overstating the case a bit.

On one hand, this exists:
Attached File Document_window___RLE_9_July.png (230.11K)
Number of downloads: 27
Everything in that screenshot is genuine and functioning —this isn’t a mockup in any way.

On the other hand, it's not complete, what's there isn't quite stable, there are some substantial unanswered questions, and I haven't done anything specific to the Windows version since I took that screenshot in July. At this point, most everything I do on the Macintosh version ultimately builds towards a better Windows version, but I can't say with any confidence that there will ever be something releaseable.

Apologies. I get a little overexcited at the prospect.

Me too: EVNEW is good for the basic resources, but designing starmaps and SHANs as text-only leaves something to be desired (whereas I am given to understand that with MC, you can point-and-click to place weapon exit points in a SHAN). Dave, you've got a captive audience that would dearly appreciate Mission Computer for Windows.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Dec 16 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

. . .whereas I am given to understand that with MC, you can point-and-click to place weapon exit points in a SHAN . . .

I have a full star-map editor, but shän is actually the one major EV Nova resource type for which I don't yet have a direct-manipulation graphical editor, or even a preview like in NovaTools. The problem would be working out precisely what calculations the game performs and replicating them exactly, as incorrect information would be worse than none at all.

Inspired by this discussion I've got out the Windows version again, and can report that the Save command now works, which makes it largely useable for many resource types. 🙂

Attached File Star_map_16_December_2010.png (60.75K)
Number of downloads: 17