Force Governments to be Hostile

I am working on a plug in for my friends. This plug in has four governments that are at war. Initially I don't want them to attack the player so they can actually land and start missions. However I would like it so if a player refuses the starting mission from a certain government, that government immediately becomes hostile towards them. So far I can't figure out how to make a government instantly hostile towards the player.

I tried making the government xenophobic, then giving the player a starting rank to negate that, then deactivating that rank on refusal, but is there any way to give me more control? Like manipulate exactly how much a government likes the player at any given time? Thanks for any help!

You could link to a silent mission on refusal, which auto-aborts and gives the player a large negative to their reputation with that government on abort (using the pay options). Or is that what you are already doing?

That's a very good idea. Much simpler than what I was doing, which involved all sorts of ranks and multiple governments to represent the same faction... bleh.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Jalisurr @ Oct 22 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could link to a silent mission on refusal, which auto-aborts and gives the player a large negative to their reputation with that government on abort (using the pay options). Or is that what you are already doing?

Please note, that status is not given on auto-aborting missions.

I suppose you could make a mission that autostarts when you refuse and make its goal to observe an invisible ship in the system and give a negative reputation reward. I'm not sure it would work, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. The major problem would be if there's enough time to make sure that the ship is observed if the player heads out to hyperspace immediately after take-off. You could also give the player an outfit for that mission that increases the distance needed to enter hyperspace and then play with the necessary timing.

There is an option in Mission Computer for a player to "Lose 5x" of a status change with a government on abort. I could set the NCB to abort the mission as soon as it's given, perhaps that would work?

EVWeb already said the status reward is not awarded to the player when a mission is auto-aborted. He is correct. I'm also fairly certain using NCBs to abort a mission also does not award the status change. I believe it only works when the player manually aborts a mission.

What I would do is have a mission started upon the player's refusal of the starting mission and name it 'Escape <insert faction name> Hit Squad' or something similar. Simply put, the player is required to dodge a small group of ships that will chase them until they land at some safe planet, possibly a neutral planet a la EVC's Levo. Upon landing the mission completes and grants a status change of, say, -300. Just to make sure any good the player may have already done doesn't keep the government friendly. Maybe even -600. Up to you, really.

For the OnRefuse Button in the mission, put a bit. Make a cron activated by that bit and set it so the effect happens instantly.

EDIT: I just relooked at the cron resource. Never mind what I said. Been a while since I've looked at any resources.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 24 October 2010 - 02:26 PM