Different Kind of TC

I don't know if you understood me correctly. I don't know how to get the engine to perform a certain graphical task once a 'ship' has landed. And while I may use a few sweep wing jets, I probably won't be going by actual modern designs.

All right, I got the background figured out. It'll be white, and the murk level set so that it seems as if you're coming down through a layer of clouds a few seconds before you land.

You could even change asteroids to be clouds that block some weapons before 'dissipating'.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 22 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could even change asteroids to be clouds that block some weapons before 'dissipating'.

Gonna bring physics in again here.

That would only work if they were laser-based (or directional radiation) weaponry, or if we're going soft anyway, some form of "heat ray" (if this universe ends up steam or clock punk, heat ray ftw). The clouds would dissapate lasers and radiation-based weaponry, due to refraction of light in water etc.

Some radiation would peirce easily (X-rays and Gamma spring to mind), but not most.

Of course, you could turn this into a game feature by making lasers or any beams do high damage, but not pass over asteroids, but make solid slugs or some beams with lower damage pass over them.

It strikes me as I finish this post that that is probably what you meant anyway. 😕 Sorry.

IT'S "AIRBORNE" THE TC! This is indeed a very interesting idea.

Well, you are flying in clouds , so I (and anyone who wants to help) could use the decay feature on some of the weapons. And Templar, physics are irrelevant. Look at nova. My shuttle is almost as big as a continent, yet I can actually land multiple ships on a planet at once? Hmm. 😛 😄 :huh:
Besides, I don't believe that you can use x and gamma rays as weapons, because you can't see them, and the game requires a graphic for each weapon, or it doesn't work.
@of doom: so, you would be interested in playing this?

That was what I was going for Templar, yes. I naturally assumed Jai would be adding energy weapons instead of only machine guns and missiles. In fact, I've come up with a possible premise for the current situation in the world for this TC:

QUOTE (Airborne TC Intro)

Earth used to be a beautiful world... before the Great Flood. It was a disaster, but it could have gone worse. In the last few years leading up to the flood, meteorologists discovered the Sun was going to release a massive heat wave upon the Earth that would kill most life on the surface. A project began to build a heat shield encompassing the planet to protect us from the heat wave.

The heat shield was flawed...

All ice on the planet melted within a matter of days. The Great Flood was upon us. Billions died, the planet was thrown into turmoil, and life as we knew it ceased to exist.

But we lived on...

Humankind adapted. We built large airships for rapid travel, massive freighters became mobile cities, and humans began to rebuild. Solar panel technology and heat-based generators became prime power sources. Peace was attained and people learned to accept the current situation.

It wouldn't last...

The current state of the world is a dangerous one. Pirates ride the wind, chaos thrives, and dictators try to gain as much power as they can before loosing it to another. There are a few shining examples where humans have fully adapted to Earth's new form. New Tokyo has become a haven for those on the run and Los Alambres has become the foremost center of technology in the world. It's from the latter most people acquire their first airship and travel the world. You have managed to acquire one such example and are preparing for your maiden voyage. Many have tried to deter you, claiming the world is too dangerous, but you thirst for adventure.

The year is 2192. It's been 180 years since the Great Flood and much has changed. Will you find the adventure you seek, or only a quick death?

It's up to you, pilot...

You may notice I've put the Great Flood in the year 2012. I don't actually buy into the world ending in 2012, I just saw this as a great opportunity to pick fun at it. 😄

Also, with this idea in mind, you could make every system's background blue for the ocean and change the star resource to tiny islands or wreckage that sit below the player. 'Spaceports' can be giant floating cities, large islands with cities built on top of them, or massive freighters. Even all of the above.

Also also, for those who don't speak Spanish nor know how to use a translation site, Los Alambres literally translates to 'The Wires'. In this case I'm referring to the wiring in electronics.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 22 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

Sounds interesting I hope that does become the main plot in this TC. I think that maybe it should take place at least a hundred years prior, because I really think that some sort of space travel will be established by 2192.

Even if all of humanity is struggling to survive? We just had a massive flood, everything has been destroyed, and Earth is now a giant ocean. Just because I said Los Alambres is the center of technology, that doesn't mean it's incredibly advanced. To attain space travel in the sort of EVN would also require a united government, something that doesn't exist in what I described. Remember the bit about dictators?

Everyone's scrambling to take what they can before someone else does. Even if someone has space travel in that world, they'd be the only ones and it wouldn't be advanced enough to go very far.

You're an amazing writer, Darthkev. Would I be able to use that? That would actually be perfect for explaining the situation you find yourself in. If anyone has writing talent even close to this, your help would be much appreciated. The only reason I'm not asking Darthkev is because he's got his own TC to work on. By the way, three hundred years prior, it would be in the 1800's. There is a flaw in your logic. Unless of course, we didn't use Earth, or someone went back in time (you, maybe?), and caused the great flood, etc. Umm, one flaw in Darthkev's writing, even though it's better than anything I could've written, is if this Great Flood happened because of a heat protection dome, then after the heat wave wouldn't they tear it down? Wouldn't the ice reform? Just realized it's probably underwater... Anyway, that intro snippet is great.

300 years? Reclusive suggested only 100 years, not 300. As for the water refreezing, it's possible some would freeze again, but almost definitely not all of it. And the shield didn't cause the ice to melt. It merely faltered and allowed the planet to heat up a fraction off what it would have if the shield wasn't there, enough to rapidly melt the ice. Without the shield the planet would've burst into flames and we'd all be showering ourselves with A1 sauce.

Ah. My bad. Thought he said 300 years. Hmm. Okay, that all makes more sense. So, would I be able to use that writing as the intro dialog?

If I didn't want you using it, I wouldn't have posted it. 😉

Thank you, and that is a good point.

Thanks, and that makes sense. And, since some are already calling it Airborne TC, it shall be named so.

So I had an earlier idea of having the bg white and adding a good amount of murk so when you get close to a spob it looks like you're coming down from the clouds. Unfortunately, everything was black against a white bg, so it didn't work... Anyway, the background'll probably be blue with (if I can get graphical help) white cloud asteroids as suggested earlier.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 22 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And Templar, physics are irrelevant. Look at nova. My shuttle is almost as big as a continent, yet I can actually land multiple ships on a planet at once? Hmm. 😛 😄 :huh:
Besides, I don't believe that you can use x and gamma rays as weapons, because you can't see them, and the game requires a graphic for each weapon, or it doesn't work.

I'd like to introduce you to a concept. 😄 It's good to be consistent.

Anyway, in Nova, the scale is just off. You continent sized shuttle is in fact about 20 meters long.

Too true. Anyway, I'd still like it to be enjoyable AND realistic. And oryhara, no spamming.

All right guys. I just realized something. It's not like I don't want to be a part of this, but graphics are the basis of everything computer. I can't do graphics. Would anyone be able to help on that, even if it's just ships, spins, or spob graphics? Otherwise I'll have to abandon this project for a while.

I can do blimps and maybe some floating blimp cities. I'll knock some up tonight. What style are we going for, realistic, steampunk, clockpunk, diesalpunk?

QUOTE (Templar98921 @ Aug 23 2010, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can do blimps and maybe some floating blimp cities. I'll knock some up tonight. What style are we going for, realistic, steampunk, clockpunk, diesalpunk?

I say dieselpunk is the most realistic of the three given the time period and the amount of technology, but clockpunk would make more sense because there is no way an entire city could 'fly' forever without fuel.