Graphical Help for EV: Eon

Requiring assistance for EV: Eon graphics

If you have read the EV: Eon development thread, Shilmazel told me to make a thread asking for graphical assistance. I would like any help, and I'd be grateful if some people, whether newbies at graphics who want to show off their skill, to seasoned picture makers, could contribute some graphics.

How much of the plug have you done...

If you aren't at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the way finished, odds are you're not going to get any offers. If you need graphics, you might want to use some "free-to-use" graphics, like these.

Oh. I guess the newbies who want to get into a TC team wouldn't accept my offers either. Thanks for finding the shipyard page, though.

Yeah, getting people to do graphics is tough at any stage. I've been trying to get my graphic load cleared since mid-alpha and in post-beta I'm still working at it. It really helps if you can do them yourself.

Whoops, I posted the same thing twice. Crap... I'll just leave this in the second post's place.

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 20 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

Sorry, but I don't know how to use Photoshop or something like that. I will learn it, but until then, it's "I need help in getting graphics for my TC".

You could try GIMP. It'll fight you every step of the graphic making process, but it does work. I did the "company" logo screen and the gambling pictures in GIMP in Colosseum. Barring one other graphic I made in Photoshop when I was in DGA, the rest of Colosseum's graphics are created by others.

Actually, I never had much trouble with the GIMP. It's like the people who can use blender, I suppose.

@shlimazel, on Jan 21 2008, 05:16 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

Actually, I never had much trouble with the GIMP. It's like the people who can use blender, I suppose.

Blender is surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it. I think the UI is great.

Would Photoshop work?

Also, I poked around the threads and I found these programs: Bryce, Lightwave, and Blender (which I found here).

1. How does each one work?
2. Can they be used on Macs?

Bryce and lightwave are not free, but work on macs. Blender is free, but is appallingly horrible (IMHO).

I don't think you realize how expensive the programs you are referencing are. Blender is free, but photoshop and lightwave are EXPENSIVE.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 21 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

You make graphics in anything. Most people prefer 3-D modeling programs because they usually result in higher quality and it's easier to create the sprite grid. However, you can make graphics in MS Paint even, so long as you convert them to the proper formats.

Also, for modeling, don't forget Wings 3D.

I HAVE Photoshop CS3. So that takes a load off. But I'm guessing when you say 'Lightwave is EXPENSIVE' means it's probably past $50. That's very strange. I mean, they are super expensive for a program that can design EVN's interface, ships, and much more.

We're talking over a thousand dollars, here. Lightwave is a professional grade, industry modelling program. They use it for computer games and movies.

I pop in to mention the fact that if you're a high school or college student, you can get the software for a significant discount (still really expensive, though).

Also, Photoshop CS3 is a lot more than $50, so that would make it 'REALLY expensive' in your book :p.

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 21 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

Blender is a perfectly good program, if you are a cheapskate like me, and not that difficult to use once you figure it out.

ALTHOUGH: Bryce 5 has now been released as freeware.

Attached File TUNING_FORK_.jpg (16.84K)
Number of downloads: 43
TAKE THAT SHLIMAZEL!!!!

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 21 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

AGH, THE HEART! THE HEART!

@shlimazel, on Jan 21 2008, 09:41 AM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

We're talking over a thousand dollars, here. Lightwave is a professional grade, industry modelling program. They use it for computer games and movies.

OH HELP ME! I don't have that kind of money. What did the creators of Lightwave expect of us? 'You know, this thing's so good we'll sell it at a great price... for those who can afford it!'

Anyway, Yoda's tuning fork is pretty good... is that on Blender or Bryce? And can anyone recommend any designing program?

I can. Cheetah 3d is an easy enough program available for 130 USD. I could advise you at using that. It's a very good program.

That's made with Blender. You could try blender and see how it works out. I just have used blender before and think it sucks.