Un-fireable weaponry

I was wondering it was possible to make a weap, but not have it be able to fire. My idea is to create ammo pods. So you can buy a missile rack that can't fire, but will let you store another 50 or something. My idea would be to have it fire the same ammo, with an ammo limit per outfit, but it can't fire. Ideas?

Use the IncreaseMax mod type instead. But if you really want a weapon that can't be fired, make it a turret with blind spots all around.

I agree with Guy; for what you're trying to accomplish, an outfit with the ModMax type would be the best bet. That type of outfit does have one small glitch though that you'll need to keep in mind. What ModMax does is multiplies the standard maximum number of an outfit. So if you can usually have 20 Mega Busters, but have 10 Mega Buster Holders, you could have a total of 200. However, there's a little problem with this setup in that buying one Mega Buster Holder has no effect (since 20 max times 1 holder still equals twenty). So what you'd have to do is make an invisible, weightless outfit with the same ModMax that every player gets (which you can do with a simple mission).

Or you can make the Mega Buster's availability check that you have at least one Mega Buster Holder. This would mean you can't normally buy any, but that may be the desired outcome. If not you could additionally make the Mega Buster Launcher increase max for the Mega Buster (implying that the launcher itself is capable of holding some quantity of ammo).

@guy, on Nov 27 2007, 10:36 PM, said in Un-fireable weaponry:

But if you really want a weapon that can't be fired, make it a turret with blind spots all around.

I may have a use for that.... With such a weapon, does the ammo stock decrease when the player hits the fire key?

@dr--trowel, on Nov 28 2007, 05:03 PM, said in Un-fireable weaponry:

I may have a use for that.... With such a weapon, does the ammo stock decrease when the player hits the fire key?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Actually, I'm positive, since I put a weapon that doesn't fire (Titanium Lattice weapon with Titanium Reinforcement as ammo) into Anathema using that same method and haven't seen the "ammo" decrease.

What result are you trying to achieve?

This post has been edited by Archon : 28 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

@archon, on Nov 28 2007, 12:49 PM, said in Un-fireable weaponry:

What result are you trying to achieve?

Well, since you asked directly.... I want the player to be able to capture a certain kind of ammo from disabled ships without necessarily possessing a weapon that is able to fire it.

Thanks for your test!

sorry for off topic, but isn't megabuster what the original megaman uses?

back on topic, I may use an earlier post as a way for me to use racked missiles...

This post has been edited by -REDCHIGH- : 28 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

@dr--trowel, on Nov 29 2007, 09:31 AM, said in Un-fireable weaponry:

Well, since you asked directly.... I want the player to be able to capture a certain kind of ammo from disabled ships without necessarily possessing a weapon that is able to fire it.

IIRC, that doesn't work. You need to possess the primary weapon for that ammo type (ie, not some other weapon that draws the same ammo) in order to be able to plunder it (and the ship you're plundering needs to have the primary weapon too). If you do get it to work though, I'd love to hear 🙂

I know using modType 1 (weapon) in modType fields 2-4 doesn't work as a weapon...but does it work to let you capture the ammo? I sincerely doubt that it would, but if it does then the 360-blind turret could, um, count as 4 different "weapons" so you'd be able to plunder 4 different ammo types. I'm willing to bet it won't work, but if it did it might be feasible to have a few invisible "weapons" that cover all possible ammos, and make sure the player has them.

In any case, I love that you can only capture "usable" ammo. Not on principle, but because I have an, um, use for it...<cryptic grin>

@qaanol, on Nov 29 2007, 02:31 AM, said in Un-fireable weaponry:

<cryptic grin>

Delusions of grandeur? :laugh:

Okay, I'm wanting to use KeyCarried to change the appearance of a ship when you buy an outfit. However, KeyCarried requires that you have both the fighter and the bay in order to work so I need some way to prevent the bay from being used. This doesn't appear to be possible but if anyone thinks otherwise, let me know.

Dang are you serious?

Well...I can't stop it from being used but I can stop it from mattering at least if you want to make sure that particular ship is ONLY there to change appearance and isn't ever a real fighter.

I've been toying with the same sort of idea but never tried to implement anything until the rest of the scenario congealed. Given what you say, here's what I see:

Ship has bay. Ship has keyCarried fighter. Fighter bay weapon uses ammo at end of burst cycle. Fighter bay weapon has burstCount of 32767. Fighter bay weapon has reload of 32767. Fighter ship has zero armor. Fighter ship has deathDelay of 2. Fighter bay weapon has no launch sound. Fighter ship has no explosion. Fighter ship has blank mask. Fighter ship has no weapons.

Comprendé?

Hm, that does sound like it would work, if a little weird. Thanks 🙂
My alternate idea was to have a copy of the outfit which is available when you have the particular ship and will swap your ship when you buy it. I'll toss up which way is better (and if anyone has any other methods I'm happy to hear).

Of course the alternate idea has difficulties when you want to sell the outfit <_< (assuming you can buy more than one)