Dudes that leave and don't come back

Or, What to do when the party is over

Picture this. You jump into a system that is supposed to be thriving. It is in the middle of the galactic network, with 5 hyperspace links, and an equal number of hypergates to other systems. All 30 dudes of varying shapes and sizes are present, as they are meant to be by the plug's designer (me). However, over the course of the next minute or so, nearly all of the dudes either hyper out or leave through a hypergate, leaving me and the random system-defense dude (with an AI of 'interceptor') chilling by ourselves. Basically, it gives the effect of me jumping into a system and then seeing everybody clear out. Sure, every dozen seconds or so, another dude or two comes in to replace the many that left, but they leave as soon as they arrive. Here is the gist of my problem: only a fraction of the people entering the system will land at the planet, meaning that the system seems nearly lifeless.

How do I make the system seem more popular? I've tried increasing the average number of ships, and it increases the initial number of ships, but keeps the long-term situation the same. I've tried fooling with the AIs of the ships, as well as changing the 'hunt asteroid'/'collect asteroid' flags, though these do little to help the situation, especially if there are no asteroids in the system.

Any suggestions? Anyone else experience this before?

Thanks,

Werhner

Can't help much, but can we call it the Western Bar Effect? Like when the hero enters the saloon and everybody stops, looks at him, and leaves.

Give the AI ships not enough fuel to jump out (less than 100 units). It might work.

Is the planet at or near the center of the system? Is it flagged as inhabited?

Are you using the Warship AI? The Warship AI will jump out of a system if there aren't any enemy ships there. If you are using the Warship AI, switch to Interceptor AI (this is what I had to do when I was having your problem).

The ships that leave are all brave or wimpy trader AI and it is only them that I am frustrated with. Warships have their own schedules, but I expect my traders and civilians to need to stop fairly often to do their business.

Planet is inhabited, and is located at 0,0. The hypergates are within a half screen distance to the planet, and I've tried alternate distances, with no success. I'll try the <100 fuel idea, but I am 90% sure that non-player ships ignore fuel when they jump out of systems, so not having enough wouldn't change the problem.

Thanks for suggestions though.

Werhner

Are the ships of a govt hostile to the govt of the planet? More generally, have you tried messing with the respective govts and govt classes?

If you take a system in the stock Nova scenario (Sol, perhaps) and crank its ship number to 30, does it develop the same problem you're seeing?

@cosmic_nusiance, on Oct 18 2007, 07:44 AM, said in Dudes that leave and don't come back:

Can't help much, but can we call it the Western Bar Effect? Like when the hero enters the saloon and everybody stops, looks at him, and leaves.

You've got my vote!

Sorry I can't help you Werhner... you could try setting their AI to paparazzi and name the planet after a no-talent singer that everyone seems to love anyway... that might work.

This post has been edited by Astronomerob : 19 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Try placing a second landable/inhabited space object in the system and use the "economy at work" trick as used in Nova. Take a look at ships 391-393 to get the idea. Basically, flagging a ship to scoop asteroid debris, yet not giving it an asteroid scoop should have it travel between the two planets/stations. This may only work with wimpy trader AI types... though I'm not certain.

@werhner, on Oct 18 2007, 03:13 PM, said in Dudes that leave and don't come back:

I'll try the <100 fuel idea, but I am 90% sure that non-player ships ignore fuel when they jump out of systems, so not having enough wouldn't change the problem.

Another thing to worry about would be weapons that use fuel as ammo, although depending on how common that is you may not have to worry about that.

Increase fuel regen to compensate for that. Or make AI versions of those weaposn that don't suck fuel.

Weapons consuming fuel can fire infinitely on AI ships. Much like the AI has infinite afterburner. Don't bother making AI versions of weapons and all that, at least as far as fuel consumption is concerned.

This post has been edited by Mumbling Psycho : 20 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

No, AI weapons can run out of fuel. This is why there's a separate flag to enable inherent fuel regen for the player - otherwise it only works for AI.

Ugh, then this must have been faulty back when I ran 1.0.6 because they would pretty much fire weapons that ate through fuel like no tomorrow as if it were nothing. You can also flag the "always use afterburner" and they'll never run out as far as I've seen.

that was 1.0.6. However, I have experienced AI fuel drain myself when in combat on CTC. I have gone up against enemies with a few high-energy-use weapons, and I've been able to drain them of fuel (ammo), and then attack with impunity. I've only done this a few times, as usually everyone has standard-ammo weapons as well as energy-weapons.

Well AI fuel drain worked in EVO so I'd be surprised if it was broken in any version of Nova. But yes, afterburners won't drain AI fuel.

It's energy, not fuel.

Uh, it's fuel. Trust me. Of course, since the fuel is energy, it's a moot point.

In development jargon, it's fuel. In the actual universe of Nova or said plug-in, it can be energy, fuel, milk, cell phones, Elvis impersonators, or whatever the developer feels like using.

Big Macs. Enough energy in there to power a Federation Carrier.