What are *.rsc files

I used to have a convert.exe that would convert the files into .rez, but now my new one wont work. Its registered, but it wont open the .rsc files. If thats not hte place to open them with, how do i get to the stuf inside them?

.rsc is not supported by the convetor. It will only accept mac .bin files.

Edit: Indeed. Resource fork files are not supported by Nova in any case! :laugh:

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 18 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

rich text files are .rtf on windows. Also, i used to have a convertor that would create data files of .rez files, could open .rsc files, as well as open .bin files. But i dont have that plugins converter anymore. So what am i supposed to do with the .rsc files. I got them off onyx's shipyard.

So im on windows, what do i open the files with? rmx256 website said ResEdit. But i dont think that works on Windows.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 18 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

Try changing the extension to .rez— .rsc means that it is a ResEdit resource file, which (on the Mac side of things) can be exactly the same thing as a Nova plug-in*. So if you change it to .rez it should work just fine. Or so I suppose.

• On a Mac, a Nova plugin is a document with plug-in resources in the Resource fork and the type/creator code Npďf and Növä and is otherwise indistinct from a normal old ResEdit resource file, a .rsc I presume.

Ok, i tried it. But it said there was an error. Any other way i could open it up?

I wish i had that corrupted converter plugins.exe It converter .rsc files into a map and a rez file. It worked nicely.

@chronodrago, on Aug 18 2006, 04:48 PM, said in What are *.rsc files:

Ok, i tried it. But it said there was an error. Any other way i could open it up?

I wish i had that corrupted converter plugins.exe It converter .rsc files into a map and a rez file. It worked nicely.

Frankly, I don't see how a .rsc file could be directly converted into anything on Windows, since it contains only a resource fork....and Windows doesn't support resource forks. If you get info on it, I suspect it'll say size 0 K....

The reason the converter works with .bin files is because .bin encoding sticks the resource fork information into the data fork.

Stuffit 7.5's cross-platform expansion wasn't quite so hyperactive on the whole .bin extension thing, so while it would still save resource forks as MacBinary encoded files, they wouldn't appear as such. With that in mind, you'd occasionally get files with .rsrc, .rsc or .npif extensions, but mostly they were extensionless - regardless, the convertor could handle them all just fine. If you're getting .rsc extesions out of Stuffit 9, chrono, you're not doing the expansion correctly. If you're not using Stuffit, get it, and if you're using Stuffit 7.5, then I ain't gonna help you with it, so get Stuffit 9.

@chronodrago, on Aug 19 2006, 03:39 AM, said in What are *.rsc files:

But i dont have that plugins converter anymore. So what am i supposed to do with the .rsc files.

Gee, that's a tough one. Ooh, here's an idea: Maybe you should find the converter again! Tip: it comes with Win Nova.

@guy, on Aug 18 2006, 03:42 PM, said in What are *.rsc files:

Gee, that's a tough one. Ooh, here's an idea: Maybe you should find the converter again! Tip: it comes with Win Nova.

It was a "corrupted" one, and it was about 3 tiems the size Nova gives. If you dragged a .rez file over it, it would come out with a few data files and a map file. If you dragged a .rsc over it, oyu would get a .rez file with something in it, and a map file. If you dragged a extentionless file over it, from somethign you downloaded for evn, you would get a map and a .rsc file. It was quite handy. I had a backup, but i deleted it becuase i figured i wouldn't need it. The only other place I have it, is on my cousin's computer. So I'll get it and post it up here, but I won't see him for another month.

Don't ask for it again.

(attachment=1963:attachment)

It's from 1.0.6, so it's outdated.