Planetary Weaps

Fighter Bays?

Can a fighter bay be used as a planatary weapon? I know after awhile the galaxy will be full of fighters but is it still possible?

And also...u know that stuff that requires you to registar in order to buy some ships and such. Well, i knowticed that the restiction code is inside the desc resource, but im not sure if its only there. And i was wondering if somoene got really smart and had lots of time and obviously no money, would he be able to bypass the registration requirement? :blink:

1. Read my Complete Guide to Spob-Based Weapons. The short answer to your question is "not exactly".

2. Before the game is registered, you can't use plug-ins, and editing the data files will prevent the game from loading. Also, the restriction codes are in the outf and ship resources- the {p30 "" ""}s in the descs are just to tell the player why they can't purchase those items.

Edwards

If someone were able to bypass the registration requirement, they couldn't do it that way because the files couldn't be messed with, and it would most likely be EXTREMELY hard. I know that with earlier versions, people could get by without registering, but I haven't heard of a whole lot of that recently. Apparently the anti-piracy programming that is within Nova, and other Ambrosia software, is really, really high quality, if I'm not mistaken: I know that it goes a lot farther than Hector. In truth, the amount of time that it would probably take to bypass the code completely would be far more than enough to earn 30 bucks to pay for it right out, not to even get into moral implications.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 29 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 30 2006, 10:53 AM, said in Planetary Weaps:

Apparently the anti-piracy programming that is within Nova, and other Ambrosia software, is really, really high quality, if I'm not mistaken: I know that it goes a lot farther than Hector.

I seem to recall Ambrosia getting an article in some computing magazine all about how clever the Nova anti-piracy stuff is, but I don't recall the details exactly. Might have been just a webzine.

@edwards, on Jun 29 2006, 05:07 PM, said in Planetary Weaps:

1. Read my Complete Guide to Spob-Based Weapons. The short answer to your question is "not exactly".
  1. Before the game is registered, you can't use plug-ins, and editing the data files will prevent the game from loading. Also, the restriction codes are in the outf and ship resources- the {p30 "" ""}s in the descs are just to tell the player why they can't purchase those items.

Edwards

Damn, ill have to chagne my resources then....

Well its nice to know the game cant be hacked easily, it would make a perfect multiplayer type game since it cant.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 29 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

But inorder for that to occur(which its not) the engine would have to be rewriten(for this reason). Also, think for a sec with me. How would time elapse? Ever notice how most multi player games of the role playing type don't have time in them? It is probably because there is no good way for it to be implemented. Particularly in Nova's case. Say you land on a planet. A ship is in hte exact place as when you landed. Wouldent that be kind of weird? Especialy sence your calandar would say whatever January 02, 1795 NC(hey look my birthday!) but his(sence he hasen't landed) would still be January 01, 1795 NC(Happy New Year!). Lets not even talk about hyperspace.

(Edit): Woah, my 321st post!

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 30 June 2006 - 04:25 AM

lol that would be funny.
but theres a way around it. Set a generic time for everyone no matter when you make your pilot, so that everyone is on the same time schedule. Then have a personal timer in which the missions and everyhting else is guaged. So instead of having missions be displayed or deployed by date like crons, have them deploy by the amount of time that the player has been on htat pilot.
Anyways back to original topic...since fighter bays cant be used, can missle lauchers?

Guided weapons shouldn't be a problem. Neither should weapons that quickly submunition into guided ones.

@chronodrago, on Jun 30 2006, 09:13 AM, said in Planetary Weaps:

since fighter bays cant be used, can missle lauchers?

Spob-defence missile launchers are used in the stock scenario -- check the Polaris.

ahh yes i had forgotten. THats kewl. I have a borg looking planet that fires hellhounds. Ouchies.

Quick question. Do you set the outf, like the launcher, or the Weap, the actual missile?

probably the launcher, but check the polaran spob anyways and find out.

The Weapon.

A weapon that is only used by spöbs doesn't even need an outfit. An associated outfit would allow the player to make use of the weapon, but ships and spobs refer to the weapon itself.

ah thanks, i guess i misunderstood earlier

Thats what I figgured but was unsure of. Thanks for clearing it up.

oh sry....any ideas though?