Nova Theme

Main Screen

Is there a windows program that can edit the main screen theme and the loading screen for Nova?
Im getting off now so talk to u guys later...

Any MP3 editor can edit the theme.

EVNEW can edit the menu, but it's tricky.

You can always export the menu resources as PICTa, open it in Photoshop, do your editing, save them as PICT resources with the IDs you want, then copy them back into the file you are working on. I have done this before. It works very well, with a minimal fail rate unless you dont put in ID numbers correctly.

It's all just picts, sprites, sounds and a colr resource. EVNEW can handle the resources so all you need is an image editor.

I vote for GIMP. It is a realy good free image editing program that works on all platforms(Mac, Win, and even Unix if I remember correctly).

@lindley, on Jun 5 2006, 11:06 AM, said in Nova Theme:

Any MP3 editor can edit the theme.

Strictly speaking, he probably wouldn't need to mess around with MP3 editors to edit the theme song. Simply replace the Nova Music file with another MP3 file with exactly the same name. (Mind you, I'm not certain he was asking how to edit the theme song, just the theme, as in the colour scheme, etc.)

What are the correct ID numbers? And just for future reference, where are the files that have all these ID numbers in em?
I don't want to end up with an Rebel Valkyrie flying around looking like the title screen. Though it would give me some laughs. 😄

Nova Titles 1 has the main screen background, and Nova Graphics 3 has most of the other interface PICTs. Nova Graphics 3 also has the cölr resource, which controls the game's font, text colors, main screen layout, and a few other things.

Edwards

Aight thanks, what about the loading screen. U know the one that has the ambrosia logo, and says atmos on it.

All of the loading screens are also in Nova Titles 1. I would recommend that you spend a bit of time looking through the data files, making notes on what's where (such as where ships are stored, where weapons are stored, where all the weapon graphics are, etc.).

Edwards

lol looks like ill be making a list, i did it for polycon and i still had a hard time finding everything.

I don't have time to test this now, but by editing the cölr resource, I think i can increase the size of the text in Nova. This might be usefull (after all, the mision text is sometimes a bit small)

@lnsu, on Jun 5 2006, 01:13 PM, said in Nova Theme:

I don't have time to test this now, but by editing the cölr resource, I think i can increase the size of the text in Nova. This might be usefull (after all, the mision text is sometimes a bit small)

lol especialy in full screen mode, for some reason its easier to read in windowed mode. :huh:

@lnsu, on Jun 6 2006, 06:13 AM, said in Nova Theme:

Only the font on the menu screen and the buttons. You can also use the ďntf resource to change the size of the font on the status display as well. However, nothing will change the font for the normal dëscs.

@chronodrago, on Jun 5 2006, 04:21 PM, said in Nova Theme:

lol especialy in full screen mode, for some reason its easier to read in windowed mode. :huh:

The resolution is adjustable when in windowed mode.

@anaxagoras, on Jun 5 2006, 05:24 PM, said in Nova Theme:

The resolution is adjustable when in windowed mode.

Not for Windows users. 'Least not the last time I checked.

Ya i dont think i can change my resolution anyways.

Wonderboy,
ill give u the plugin in a feww mins i need to make a few last minute changes and transfer it over to a new .rez file.

@wonderboy, on Jun 5 2006, 05:47 PM, said in Nova Theme:

Not for Windows users. 'Least not the last time I checked.

Did you see the word 'windowed' in my post? I know full-scren WinNova runs at 1024x768 by default and can't be changed; I read somewhere that it can be changed when windowed, and it came from someone with experience on the topic, whom I happened to trust, so I assumed they were right.

So, answer my question, and don't overlook the Word of the Day: Isn't windowed mode the only way you guys can view Nova at your native resolution? After all, it would explain why chronodrago found it easier to read the text when in windowed mode, right? Or are you off in your own little world going, "lol dis mac guy is so ghey he doesn't know what hes talkin bout windowed mode dont do nothing rofl!"?

Sorry if I came off as trollish, but you're coming off as being about as knowledgeable on your own system as I am, and I have NEVER played WinNova.

The res of windowed mode will only change if your current res is too small to display it at the size it would prefer. On a mac the windowed mode is never bigger than 832x604 (it will also warn if your resolution is less than 800x600). On a PC I expect it is never bigger than 1024x768 but I'm not sure of this.

(EDIT) You may find a Resource ID Guide useful. With any luck I may update this soon.

This post has been edited by Guy : 05 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

:sigh: i wish nova had resizable windows. Don't tell me, i know its never going to happen with nova. It would be a nice feature if ambrosia ever makes another space game, which they probably wont in the near future.