Blasted Music Files

@aelran, on May 27 2006, 03:03 AM, said in Blasted Music Files:

You do have the "show file extensions" flag checked, don't you?

Of course not. I'm totally stupid, you know? Even after over 6 month of computer classes and years of using windows, I still can't tell if that flag is checked. Heck, I've never seen a windows pop-up asking me if I really wish to change the extension because it could mess things up. Nope, never saw that screen. Now, where's the power button to shut this damn thing down. And where's the "any" key?

Yah, I agree with Edwards. Nova 1.0.6 with the original music file didn't seem to care about the extension, but any plugins which changed the music required the .mp3 extension. Nova 1.0.9 requires the extension for all music files.

Did you test this? I doubt ATMOS had to do a single thing with music files between 1.0.6 and 1.0.9. Though, it's possible, hence the 0,001% I left in my post. However, it seems this only applies to the original Nova Music file. So yeah, changing the music might require the extension, but the reasons are a mystery since the original nova music file is certainly mp3 encoded though it ran without its extension.

This post has been edited by Mumbling Psycho : 27 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

All I know is that I'm running 1.0.8 in 9 and in X and my TC's intro music is just called "Nova Music"- in both. No appendix.

DELETED- Would help if I read the posts...

This post has been edited by Eegras Studios : 27 May 2006 - 04:50 PM

@mumbling-psycho, on May 28 2006, 01:47 AM, said in Blasted Music Files:

Of course not. I'm totally stupid, you know? Even after over 6 month of computer classes and years of using windows, I still can't tell if that flag is checked. Heck, I've never seen a windows pop-up asking me if I really wish to change the extension because it could mess things up. Nope, never saw that screen. Now, where's the power button to shut this damn thing down. And where's the "any" key?

I apologise. Inconsistencies in that was the only potential reason for Nova only sometimes demanding an extension.

@mumbling-psycho, on May 27 2006, 11:47 PM, said in Blasted Music Files:

Of course not. I'm totally stupid, you know? Even after over 6 month of computer classes and years of using windows, I still can't tell if that flag is checked.

Actually, quite a lot of people still have that stupid "hide extensions" setting on regardless of how long they've been using the computer. Aelran was asking a legitimate question, and you don't have to be so rude about it. If you're not careful, I might take your post seriously, and treat you as such.

Did you test this?

Yes. Not recently, I admit, but I have tested it.

I doubt ATMOS had to do a single thing with music files between 1.0.6 and 1.0.9.

They didn't have to do anything to the music files, just how Nova handles them.

I think it's safer to just say "all Nova Music files should have a .mp3 on the end, on both Mac and PC" - that will ensure that it works on all computers, whether they care about the extension or not. There's really no need for this discussion on the importance of the extension, since all versions of Nova can handle it fine with the extension.

I think it's safer to just say "all Nova Music files should have a .mp3 on the end, on both Mac and PC" - that will ensure that it works on all computers, whether they care about the extension or not. There's really no need for this discussion on the importance of the extension, since all versions of Nova can handle it fine with the extension.

Agreed.

Actually, quite a lot of people still have that stupid "hide extensions" setting on regardless of how long they've been using the computer. Aelran was asking a legitimate question, and you don't have to be so rude about it. If you're not careful, I might take your post seriously, and treat you as such.

Well, I'll admit it's true that many people do leave the extensions hidden. I'll apologise, too, for being so harsh with my answer. However, while I can be a lunatic sometimes, it's not to the point of missing something that important in a test that involved mainly this very flag.