Long dësc bug crashes Nova!

rmx256 reporting for Pace (Haldora)...

Pace has discovered an 8231 character limit for the dësc resource- any longer than that crashes Nova (hard, for me, requiring the three-finger salute) when it is displayed. This I have confirmed using 12, 10, 10, 9, 9 and 8.5 k descs but not the exact size that Pace determined, but I'll trust him on that. Odd, though, that this is not exactly 8k... That would be 8192 bytes... But it is close to 8k plus the size of an empty dësc resource. Close but not exact...

I don't know who else is using obscenely long dëscs but this info is now out there!

FWIW this bug I am reporting is for EV Nova 1.0.8 Mac version in OS 9.1. Pace is running OSX of some breed or another, I'm unsure of the exact colour though.

PS- Pace is not reporting this as he is saving his 1,000th post for the release announcement of ARPIA II.

And I thought some of the stock scenario's descs were long...

Odd bug. It's probably 8k plus everything in a desc except the text. Perhaps an over-write bug in the editor?
Oh, and why does he need descs that long? Massive gender- and bit-variable text in addition to an already extensive description? He's trying to fit the entire text of the novel into the plug? Whatever the reason, this ought to be quite a plug from a storyline point of view.

Edwards

Interesting information, would anyone care to test this on a PC? I'll double-check for OSX.

Edwards, on Oct 31 2005, 06:49 AM, said:

Odd bug. It's probably 8k plus everything in a desc except the text. Perhaps an over-write bug in the editor?
Oh, and why does he need descs that long? Massive gender- and bit-variable text in addition to an already extensive description? He's trying to fit the entire text of the novel into the plug? Whatever the reason, this ought to be quite a plug from a storyline point of view.

Edwards
View Post

From Pace:

The novel comes from the plug What do you expect? And yes, it is quite a plug from the storyline point of view.

PS: only a few dëscs are above 6000 characters

So the buffer size for desc resources is 8,256 = 8.25K. Interesting.