NovaTools rlëD Error

No template viewing for me ._.

Posted Image

This appears whenever I try to open any rlëD resource in the NovaTools rlëD template viewer. I am running ResEdit in classic mode from OS 10.3.9 on a 500MHz G3 with 256 megs RAM. I have tried allocating 200 megs of ram to ResEdit, and it still doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by Hamster : 09 June 2005 - 01:08 AM

Well the first thing I'd suggest is to trash your prefs and reinstall novatools.

I'd reccomend (honestly) not running ResEdit in classic mode. restart in 9 if yo ucan, and if you can't you should probably use EVONE.

rmx256, on Jun 9 2005, 08:28 AM, said:

I'd reccomend (honestly) not running ResEdit in classic mode. restart in 9 if yo ucan, and if you can't you should probably use EVONE.View Post

I've never had much trouble with ResEdit running in classic- just a few crashes in the oütf editor (the only difference is that I've got a 1.33GHz G4, rather than the G3). Once you develop a "cmd-s" twitch, any crashes that do occur aren't much of an interruption, as Classic restarts very quicky. And Novatools does have the useful point of having every field on the screen at once.

Anyway, Guy is probably right- delete the ResEdit prefs, and reinstall NovaTools.

Edwards

And Guy was right. 🙂

Thank you all!

If you haven’t already, do this:

Quit ResEdit, do Get Info on the ResEdit program file, click on the triangle next to the word “memory,” and dramatically increase the “Preferred Size.” I keep mine at 60000 KB.

I can spin rleDs up to 400 X 400 pixels. Of course, ships that big don’t fit in NovaTools’ box, but that’s another issue! All ships that do fit (i.e., those up to 200 X 200) seem to work fine via Classic in OS X.3.9.

Edit: I wrote the above before seeing Hamster's reply to Guy! So my Q: does mem size just not matter for Classic apps if you are under OS X?

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 09 June 2005 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, who's doing the NovaTools updates? I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to make the box bigger. Same for the spin and rle viewers.

Memory still matters, otherwise you wouldn't have the memory pane you mention. He did say he gave it 200 meg.

Arturo was the one who made the 1.0.1 update. It would be nice to have a drag box in the corner. 🙂

OS X apps have auto-memory assigning, which includes auto virtual memory. Classic apps' memory are fixed, and draw off the Classic Environment chunk of ram, which is auto-memory assigned.

Two points about large rlës:

1. It's fairly easy to adjust NovaTools so that the rlë viewer is large enough. Just open the apropriate DITL in the preferences (they're clearly labeled), use the drag box in the corner of that to make the window larger, and change the size of objects 3 and 9. I just made my copy of NovaTool have a large enough window to see almost all of the rEV Confederate Cruiser (I would have made it larger if I'd known how big the thing was).

2. Zacha Pedro has recently made a nice little program that can display any size of rlë (see this thread). It isn't integrated with any editor, but if you need to check a really big (or any other size) sprite it works well.

Edwards

I'll bump up the size of the Novatools rle viewer when I do the NovatoolsUpdate1.0.2 release (ASAP after EV:N109 is released).
Sorry but it's not possible to add a drag-box to the viewer window. I'd need access to Dr.Ralph's source code to do that, which I don't have.
In the meantime Edwards' workaround or Zacha Pedro's new utility are your best bets.

Also- does anyone else have trouble with the government pull-down in the outfit dialogue in Arturo's NovaTools Update? Mine simply does not work.

rmx256, on Jun 10 2005, 04:11 PM, said:

Also- does anyone else have trouble with the government pull-down in the outfit dialogue in Arturo's NovaTools Update? Mine simply does not work.View Post

Yup. That's a bug in the 1.0.1 update, and Arturo has said that it will be fixed in the 1.0.2 update. In the meantime, Zacha Pedro explains how to fix it here. I's a long-winded post, but the instructions are correct, although he doesn't mention that all of the Contribute and Require checkboxes in the crön editor are blocked as well.

Edwards

Arturo, on Jun 10 2005, 09:46 PM, said:

I'll bump up the size of the Novatools rle viewer when I do the NovatoolsUpdate1.0.2 release (ASAP after EV:N109 is released).
Sorry but it's not possible to add a drag-box to the viewer window. I'd need access to Dr.Ralph's source code to do that, which I don't have.
In the meantime Edwards' workaround or Zacha Pedro's new utility are your best bets.
View Post

While you're at it, there's a flag in the dude editor that reads "Dude can't be hit or be hit by player". I think it's supposed to be "Dude can't hit or be hit by player".

Guy, on Jun 11 2005, 07:00 PM, said:

While you're at it, there's a flag in the dude editor that reads "Dude can't be hit or be hit by player". I think it's supposed to be "Dude can't hit or be hit by player".
View Post

That change was incorporated into NovatoolsUpdate1.0.1 and of course will be carried forward into NovatoolsUpdate1.0.2, but thanks anyway.

Arturo, on Jun 12 2005, 05:57 AM, said:

That change was incorporated into NovatoolsUpdate1.0.1 and of course will be carried forward into NovatoolsUpdate1.0.2, but thanks anyway.
View Post

But I... oh wait, I'm only running 1.0.0. I could swear I had 1.0.1. Ah well. :rolleyes: