Station Fighters

new idea

So I had an idea, but I don't know if it's possible/feasible (sp?). It went something like this:

It's kind of silly to have all these stations and battle stations with no fighters. I mean, that's the first thing I would put on if I were building a space station. Then if you start a fight with the Feds in a system where the Feds have a station, you have to worry about a sortie from the station as well as the ships you attack. Hmmm.

--two days later--

OK, what if under every station was a ship, invisible, no size, indestructible, can't be targeted or hit, and this ship had one or more fighter bays and fighters maybe even patrol ships or abominations. There would have to be different types for the different governments. Maybe different types for the different size stations.
BUT HOW DO I MAKE SURE THAT THESE SHIPS ARE ALWAYS THERE AND ALWAYS PLACED ON THE STATIONS??

I haven't worked on this, but I don't really see a way to do it. Is there some way to designate where specific ships show up? I realize I'd have to do it an awful lot for all the systems with stations, but I think it'd be cool.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, you could do it easily as part of a defense fleet, but that really wouldn't help in non-domination situations. I assume it does not work to give bases/planets a fighter bay weapon?

You have to use a mission. There is a part in the mission rescource where it asks where to put the ship, either spread around, or on top of a single stellar. Put the number of the station (like which 1 2 3 4 you have to hit to select it) in this field, and your ship as the dude. Then just make an invisible sprite and check all of the appropriate flags for the ship.

Keldor Sarn, on May 18 2005, 06:36 PM, said:

I assume it does not work to give bases/planets a fighter bay weapon?
View Post

I don't know if it works, but if it does, the station would have unlimited fighters.

It does not work.

NebuchadnezzaR, on May 18 2005, 10:48 PM, said:

You have to use a mission. There is a part in the mission rescource where it asks where to put the ship, either spread around, or on top of a single stellar. Put the number of the station (like which 1 2 3 4 you have to hit to select it) in this field, and your ship as the dude. Then just make an invisible sprite and check all of the appropriate flags for the ship.
View Post

I just realized that you make the ship 'planetary'-type, not only does it become 'impossible' to accidentally destroy the 'fighter bay' for the station, destroying the station would also most likely destroy its 'fighter bay'. You could use that 'invisible ship' for more than just stations...Nifty.

Ah, right. Good catch.

If anyone's interested, I tried it and it works great. A fight breaks out in a system with one of these stations, and fighters launch from the station to join in. Only problem is it takes an awful lot of misn resources to complete it. I've only done the Feds so far, but the Aurorans? Geez.

One more question. How many fighters do you think are appropriate? For the Feds I've done 16 vipers and 8 anacondas, but that's a lot. Of course, it is a station after all...

Sounds like a neat idea, but doesn't sound like it would be possible.

A weap cannot sub into a fighter, no? Or a 'homing seeker' that subs into a little bullet (unguided and itself to simulate a little defense fighter on a kamakaze run shooting at you?

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 20 May 2005 - 06:44 AM

Do you need to have a constantly-running background misn for every station in the galaxy that has this feature? Don't you hit the limit on the number of simultaneously running misns pretty fast?

Yes, you would. There is, however, a workaround. You can do something fancy: Make sure each station is the same navdef. Like 4, or if you dont need the station to be an f-key, anything up to 16 would be better. Then set the ships to appear in any system of that government (like that one delivery mission from aurora where the fleet follows you as far as the fed border). You set the ships to appear on the stellar (negative whatever the number is). Note: Editors that use a pulldown menu to help in ship placement probably only go down to -4, but if you export the file as a text file (either EVNEW, or with conText), then change the number by hand (easy), you can have it set to -5 through -16. This is probably the most rescource efficient solution.

There is another method involving self destroying stellars to tell the player where he is, but this is not best used with anything but a TC, as you would have to alter a large number of systems. Whoa... you can do it with only 1 mission this way. Yeah. You would just have to make the government "defenders" who ally with both aurorans and feds, and make a new govt for each that is "attacker". The fed attackers, for example, should probably show up as fed in the radar, but are xenophobic. They would even attack fed ships if they saw them, luckily they never would. The attackers attack everything, and the defenders side with whatever ships are in the system, so it would actually work. This method would involve enough rescource changing, however, to be incompatible with the aims of a small plug, but its definately going into my TC. Thanks for reminding me of this neat trick, guys. Ill make it shine for ya.

An in-between method would be to put invisible stellar navdef 5-16 on top of the station, smaller and unlandable (this way, select closest spob cant get to it, nor if you hit l while you are right on top, since that ignores unlandables.) Then do that mission trick.

There is a problem ive run into... the behavior to have ships in every system of a certain government doesnt seem to be consistent exactly. Is there a way to emulate "follows player around" for exactly one govts systems? This is what I need, both for these solutions and for other things.

Actually, ps... Does anyone know the behavior if you put, say, -4 for where to place the ships, but there isnt stellar navdef 4? If this prevents the creation of the ship, then you could just make fed stations 5 and aurorans 6 etc, then have only one mission per govt.

NebuchadnezzaR, on May 20 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

There is another method involving self destroying stellars to tell the player where he is, but this is not best used with anything but a TC, as you would have to alter a large number of systems. Whoa... you can do it with only 1 mission this way. Yeah. You would just have to make the government "defenders" who ally with both aurorans and feds, and make a new govt for each that is "attacker". The fed attackers, for example, should probably show up as fed in the radar, but are xenophobic. They would even attack fed ships if they saw them, luckily they never would. The attackers attack everything, and the defenders side with whatever ships are in the system, so it would actually work.View Post

Err... Could you clarify that, please? I can't make heads nor tails of that "Attacker" and "Defender" stuff.

NebuchadnezzaR, on May 20 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

Actually, ps... Does anyone know the behavior if you put, say, -4 for where to place the ships, but there isnt stellar navdef 4? If this prevents the creation of the ship, then you could just make fed stations 5 and aurorans 6 etc, then have only one mission per govt.View Post

If you set a mission ship to appear on a specific NavDef, but that spöb doesn't exist, the ships will appear in a random location in the system.

Edwards

Fnoigy, on May 20 2005, 04:05 AM, said:

Sounds like a neat idea, but doesn't sound like it would be possible.
View Post

Posted right after someone said he(?) got it to work.

Raventhief, on May 20 2005, 02:26 AM, said:

If anyone's interested, I tried it and it works great. A fight breaks out in a system with one of these stations, and fighters launch from the station to join in. Only problem is it takes an awful lot of misn resources to complete it. I've only done the Feds so far, but the Aurorans? Geez.

One more question. How many fighters do you think are appropriate? For the Feds I've done 16 vipers and 8 anacondas, but that's a lot. Of course, it is a station after all...
View Post

Hm, I'd probably put half that amount. Yes it is a station, but you don't want unbalance the gameplay. 8 vipers and 4 anacondas should be plenty.