An idea, something for a TC

OK, just a thought. Shields and armor in the stock scenario basically do the same thing. So here's an idea - your ships have much higher armor (no recharge) and low shields with an insanely fast recharge rate. Therefore, the shields are basically for absorbing singular shots.

Is this idea any good?

SFA, anyone?

That was, indeed, the solution I came up with to simulate the Star Trek t.v. style of combat -- "One more hit like that and we're done for!"

I'm doing energy weapons have to go through shields first, while physical objects can bypass most shielding on most ships.

I'm thinking of doing something like that for EVN Firefly-----in FF, ships were not portrayed as having shields, so I'd like the armor to be the important thing, with "shields" little more than navigational deflectors.

This is how the shields in SS work as well, basically. There's various levels of penetration for each weapon- if you don't beat the shields, you do no damage. If you beat the shields, you do full damage. Many weapons (lasers and plasma lances, noteably) bypass shields. Shields instantly recharge (most of them, there are wierd ones that don't), so if you can't hurt a ship, you can't hurt it- go away.

Masamune, on Nov 29 2004, 03:49 PM, said:

(...) if you don't beat the shields, you do no damage. If you beat the shields, you do full damage.

That is so cool. How'd you manage that?

It's simply the way Nova works. If a single shot reduces the shields to 0 or less, that same shot then applies its full mass damage. To get my effect, simply set it up so that this happens every time. If you are interested, SS doesn't have a standard shield bar, since the recharge rate is so absurd and the numerical amount of shielding so low. In fact, if you have 10 points of shielding, you are nearly invincible. For those who need a reference, most Nova ships have several hundred points!

This post has been edited by Masamune : 29 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

Oh, okay, I getcha. What I was reading into it was the total damage was being applied -- mass and energy -- to the mass if it got through the shields.

Masamune, on Nov 29 2004, 08:49 AM, said:

This is how the shields in SS work as well, basically. There's various levels of penetration for each weapon- if you don't beat the shields, you do no damage. If you beat the shields, you do full damage. Many weapons (lasers and plasma lances, noteably) bypass shields. Shields instantly recharge (most of them, there are wierd ones that don't), so if you can't hurt a ship, you can't hurt it- go away.
View Post

Cool, I was wondering if that would work in EVN. 🙂

This post has been edited by Weepul 884 : 29 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

Er... yes... that's what the discussion is about...

Fine. Will you take 'no' for an answer, then?

?

There are already plug-in(s) that are using that concept. If you based a plug-in on that idea alone, without any independent story or graphics inspiration, you wouldn't get a very good end result.

Agent_Vast, on Nov 28 2004, 09:24 PM, said:

OK, just a thought. Shields and armor in the stock scenario basically do the same thing. So here's an idea - your ships have much higher armor (no recharge) and low shields with an insanely fast recharge rate. Therefore, the shields are basically for absorbing singular shots.

Is this idea any good?
View Post

**The only problem I could see with this particular system is that if you plan to apply it in a situation as described below (as in, Star Trek) it's my understanding that shields in Star Trek don't go down until they've taken a certain amount of beating (I could be wrong)- in your scenario the shields would obstensibly keep going down then instantaneously back up- until the mass damage was sufficient to destroy the ship. In other words, the shields would keep popping up- a cool idea, but if you think about it, since the shields are cumulative (again, I'm assuming as such) this really wouldn't accurately reflect the shielding of the ship- more the ability of it to take the mass damage.

_bomb

The way shields work in Star Trek is like this:

The ship gets hit. Everyone flops all over the bridge set. The captain is informed, "Shields are at XX%, cap'n. Another hit like that and we're dead for sure." Then someone thinks of something brilliant and saves the day.

That's how they work on Star Trek.

This system is what I used to simulate that without sacrificing game playability. Yes, it's counter to what we've been told, but it's completely consistent with what we've actually experienced. Show, don't tell.

UncleTwitchy, on Dec 8 2004, 09:54 AM, said:

The ship gets hit. Everyone flops all over the bridge set. The captain is informed, "Shields are at XX%, cap'n. Another hit like that and we're dead for sure." Then someone thinks of something brilliant and saves the day.

That kinda reminds me of that one scene in the final episode of Stargate season six. They're sitting in their space ship a couple of tens of metres above the surface of Antarctica, being fired upon by a huge ship in orbit, and the guy at the weapons console (or whatever) says "Our shields are down, General. Another hit like that and we're done for". So what does the ship do? Simple it flies straight up the line of shots heading down from orbit in order to reach the bad guys, and hitting every single one on the way through, and somehow surviving the entire time.

But I digress...

^That's the end of season 7, actually. And I don't think he said the sheilds were down---my (hazy) memory is the officer recommended breaking off to recharge the sheilds.

EDIT: I just checked. The officer says "Sheilds are failing", but that's all.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 08 December 2004 - 02:59 PM