Tell me watcha think!

Originally posted by Jules:
**Forgive me if this question has been answered already but I dont have enough time in this class to read the whole topic and then ask the question. What are you going to do about the ships sailing over the islands?

Deadly Spobs, dude!

Hey, great name for a rock band...

------------------
Mantaray's Law: If a topic is born on #ev3, it will start stupidly and end in chaos.

Nice, try this site for a url shortener, (url="http://"http://www.tk")www.tk(/url)

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.zone.com/ants")http://www.zone.com/ants(/url)

Originally posted by Burning cow:
**Originally posted by Admiral Slathkill II:
Sorry: wrong. Shot was designed to crash into the side of the ship and create huge splinters on the other side. These splinters could cut a man in half and devastated guncrews. The shot rarely penetrated and even if it did it was always above the waterline - a shot hitting the water would have all it's energy spent instantly.

(b) Thats also slightly wrong. Nelson in the Battle of the Nile in some cases fired his shots so they would rebound off the water and hit the French ships and so caused more damage.**

I meant entering the water, sorry.

------------------
-Admiral-of-the-Fleet Slathkill II
We do not know what lies around the next bend on the information superhighway. All we know for certain is that when we finally get there, we won't have enough RAM.

(This message has been edited by Admiral Slathkill II (edited 10-08-2002).)

Alright, I think I discussed some of this stuff in another topic, and to Mantaray: I wasn't planning on anything like this. I was suggesting a modern approach.
To the guys saying all the stuff about the cannon balls and stuff: I think the ships should just sink, because It was possible to sink them. Just make it really difficult to sink them after they have been disabled and that will fix everything.
I like the Idea of supplies instead of fuel.
I like Gold insead of Pounds.
I think that the ships should still be labeled "disabled" it sounds cooler than "colors struck". Just have the flag graphic thing dissipear when ships are disabled as someone suggested.
On waves: you could solve the problem of hitting waves by making it so the hit graphic was a splash, and make the waves innvulnerable.
Wales and other various animals in place of asteroids would be cool.
You can deleate the stars, I think you might be able to replace them to make it look like calm sea if you so pleased.
I think you need someone to edit the physics of the game slightly. If it can be done: cause the gun points to be more numerous. Cause ships(and spobs) to be unnflyoverable.
It would be awsome to have the cannons roll out through the hatches when some ship prepared to fire.
That is all I have to say, Otherwise this looks AWSOME!

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

Originally posted by Meaker VI:
**Alright, I think I discussed some of this stuff in another topic, and to Mantaray: I wasn't planning on anything like this. I was suggesting a modern approach.
To the guys saying all the stuff about the cannon balls and stuff: I think the ships should just sink, because It was possible to sink them. Just make it really difficult to sink them after they have been disabled and that will fix everything.
I like the Idea of supplies instead of fuel.
I like Gold insead of Pounds.
I think that the ships should still be labeled "disabled" it sounds cooler than "colors struck". Just have the flag graphic thing dissipear when ships are disabled as someone suggested.
On waves: you could solve the problem of hitting waves by making it so the hit graphic was a splash, and make the waves innvulnerable.
You can deleate the stars, I think you might be able to replace them to make it look like calm sea if you so pleased.
I think you need someone to edit the physics of the game slightly. If it can be done: cause the gun points to be more numerous. Cause ships(and spobs) to be unnflyoverable.
It would be awsome to have the cannons roll out through the hatches when some ship prepared to fire.
That is all I have to say, Otherwise this looks AWSOME!

Hrm, most of those ideas have been suggested; but here's some cool things I might be able to do:

• Ships unfold to fire; with gun hatches for the canon
• Deadly spobs so ships can't fly over them
• Each ship has 2 repel beams; 1 for the sides, another on for the front and back
• Animated spobs, maybe with birds, but probably with waves
• The ships with sails have the sails revolve, so when you turn, the sails turn in a different way - it'll look cool, trust me.
• Escape pods are longboats. SEE! little boats with head shoot out of explosions, waves, and smoke!

What would repel beams do? PD weapons don't fire on friendlies. So, enemies can't run over you, but allies can? Just suspend disbelief.

And you could make asteroids wavefronts. Now, to explain why they go in different directions...

Oh, and a good idea for a weapon would be a ram. Short range, instant disable, small explosion to damage your ship. That would be cool!

------------------
Why are you all looking at me like that?
12000 posts as of 07.19.38, 1:23 PM (5:23 ASW time).

(This message has been edited by Sheer_falacy (edited 10-08-2002).)

Also make the engine glows the wake from the ship. So the swell of the water would be the engine glow and that would look really good. Make it longer for larger ships etc. Also a problem with the stella/island if you have repulser beams then how could you dock with them?

---Burning cow---

------------------
We found Osama Bin Laden, in little old England. Go to:
nu.homepage.nu
Pictures and beer by bEER mOnkey

Originally posted by Sheer_falacy:
**What would repel beams do? PD weapons don't fire on friendlies. So, enemies can't run over you, but allies can? Just suspend disbelief.

And you could make asteroids wavefronts. Now, to explain why they go in different directions...

Repel beams would make it so that the ships could go over or under each other!

Asteroids could be seagulls, unless the ships go over them in which case they could be... they could be... ummm... mystical sea sheep... yeah...

ewan

------------------
may contain nuts

It was possible to sink them but it was extremely hard to do so. The balls rarely penetrated and when they did it was above the waterline (see above). Also, from a practical point of veiw it would be extremely hard to make a convincing 'ship sinking' animation.

In those days ships were rarely disabled in battle. Although regularly dismasted they were still able to fire their guns. The majority of victories were due to the othe ship surrendering (she showed this by lowering, called striking, her flag, called a colour.).

W h ales etc. would be cool but they were pretty rare and it'd be quite difficult to have few enough appear.

**I think you need someone to edit the physics of the game slightly. If it can be done: cause the gun points to be more numerous. Cause ships(and spobs) to be unnflyoverable.

It would be cool but it would require Matt to release the source code, which is unlikely, and it would be complicated even then.

That would really look good and it's not too hard to do.

------------------
-Admiral-of-the-Fleet Slathkill II
We do not know what lies around the next bend on the information superhighway. All we know for certain is that when we finally get there, we won't have enough RAM.

:eek: :eek:This. Looks. :eek: Bloody. Awsome. :eek: :eek:

WOW! 😄 I cant wait to play this... Awsome... :eek:

(edited by mrxak: way too many smilies dude, disabled...)

------------------
The day Microsoft makes somthing that dosen't suck is the day they make vacume cleaners. -White Lightning
"Hmm? Defense fleet? What defense fleet? I haven't seen any defense fleet around here. Just radioactive debris."- Mr. C

(This message has been edited by mrxak (edited 10-15-2002).)

Someone said something about the waves facing different directions? That would be very easy to fix. Don't make graphics for waves facing different directions. It is hard to think about I know, but if one makes the graphics so they blend into each other, and doesn't bother to make them rotate, the game won't do it for you.
Another person said something about the ships rarely sinking, as I said, you could make it so most the weapons were disable only. You could blow up the ships with explosives or something, and sinking graphics would be cool. Another idea, you could have sheilds labeled as armor, armor labeled the same, and make all weapons do very very little damage to armor, and so you could disable ships easily, but destroying them would be another thing altogeather. I can see how it could be difficult to get kill points though.
To Mantaray: I knew most of those things had been said, I ment to encourage their development. I like them. By the way, I'm willing to aid in this project if you need it. I can't make the graphics, but I am fairly competent with Novatools. And I know how to implement a good number of my suggestions. Except the source code thing, but I think I could come up with a dozen ways to make it so you have more cannon balls coming out of your ship. Email me if you're interested.

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

I think you'll just have to accept ships running over eachother. The only way mentioned to fix this wouldn't work. PD won't fire on ships that aren't enemies. Even if it did, it would just piss them off and wouldn't fit the contours of the ship particularly well... Unless the ship is circular.

------------------

Originally posted by Mantaray:
**http://www20.brinkst.../Plugins/c.html

Do you guys think it's too ambitious?

I need suggestions for it, specifically: a more concrete plot. Right now, it's the Brittish Empire versus the Pirates.

Wow!!!

2 posts to go!!!

(edited by mrxak: we're all excited, but let's keep the smilies to a minimum, please, disabled)

Sorry

------------------
A life??? Ooo thats a new plug-in right?
"Borb II of V.S.S Hellfire."

(This message has been edited by mrxak (edited 10-15-2002).)

(This message has been edited by Borb II (edited 10-16-2002).)

Has anybody considered how random islands are. Unlike space, where two planets can be relativley similar looking from far away. No two islands look even remotely alike, so to make the plug look realistic you would have to develop an amazing array of different islands.

On another note, have you considered adding whaling ships. If my memory serves correctly there was a lot of whaling going on around that time. You could have "Whales" be ships with animation, and have the whaling ships lauch "fighters", rowboats with spear guns, to persue them.

Also in the northren areas you could have asteroids be icebergs, that would kinda suck though, there generally a lot of asteroids, and if you hit them it hurts.

Just brainstorming...

Later

------------------
The Evil Spoonman
"Life is to important to be taken seriously."

Originally posted by Evil_Spoonman:
Has anybody considered how random islands are. Unlike space, where two planets can be relativley similar looking from far away. No two islands look even remotely alike, so to make the plug look realistic you would have to develop an amazing array of different islands.

Of course, there won't be extremely numerous islands; the mid-atlantic is pretty barin of them, don't you think? I'm thinking around 200 differant islands will fill the bill.

Oh yes, I hope I don't offend anyone with slaveships... I'm going to try to keep slavery out of the scenario, however.

Whaling ships would be cool...

I do have a question, though... how would I do fireships?

Fireships, if you don't know, were old dry ships the crew would use as a last resort to devastate the other side with confusion; it worked like this:
One side sets a small old ship on fire and sends it toward the other side.
The other side finds themselves in a firey inferno.
BOOM!

😄

------------------
Mantaray's Law: If a topic is born on #ev3, it will start stupidly and end in chaos.

Seasonal changes!

You can have things happen annually, so as the year advances, routes in the polar regions appear in summer (ice melting) and disappear in winter. Then put a special system in during the winter where you can refuel and jump to in case you get trapped (so time will advance).

Just an idea. But it would be funny if you get trapped by ice floes.

------------------
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/artanis/")Nothing here, Go away(/url)

It's incredible. I've been away from this board for around three months and this post is still here. Looks like a lot of intrest in the plug.

------------------
SQUEEK

Fireships would be easy. Just make it a fighter, and give it a weapon with a large explosion, large damage, and ammo set to -999, which kills the firing ship. Oh, and give it short range.

------------------

Originally posted by Sheer_falacy:
**Fireships would be easy. Just make it a fighter, and give it a weapon with a large explosion, large damage, and ammo set to -999, which kills the firing ship. Oh, and give it short range.

Bleah, this plgin will take so much Nova tweaks...

It'll be fun to program. 😉

Right now, I'm sort of working on the galaxy... 50 systems is around what I'm aiming at. Don't want it TO monstrously big, do we?

------------------

Originally posted by Mantaray:
Right now, I'm sort of working on the galaxy... 50 systems is around what I'm aiming at. Don't want it TO monstrously big, do we?

Hey, If you want any programming help, send me some numbers and info and I'll get to work. Yes, we do want it monstrously big. Go for about 300.(or a map, or graph, or whatever is needed to work with.)
I can make systems.

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww