New EV Override port

Just to remove any possible lingering doubts: I never received a threatening legal letter from anyone. I just knew I wasn't going to have time to contribute to this bit of interactive fiction in a sustained way, and therefore decided to "take myself out" in a manner that would give others new wrinkles to play with. When rudy showed up with 1.1 and others didn't catch on to that, I wanted to holler with joy... but couldn't, because it would have been too obviously out of character given my "legal troubles." Now that the joke is over, I can finally say....

Woo Hoo! Yee Haw! Thank you, Ambrosia, for saving our game! Hooray!!!

...And belum means "not yet" in Indonesian/Malay, which at times has served as el Presidente's chosen Language of Obfuscation. I guess there aren't many around here who would have reason to remember that I also am familiar with it.

I had fun following this thread, and hope it exercised a few brains. Along the way, a few good EV-successor feature ideas actually got floated. I hope no one completely bought into the malarky and stayed deluded for too long!

@dr--trowel, on Aug 15 2008, 07:13 AM, said in New EV Override port:

...And belum means "not yet" in Indonesian/Malay, which at times has served as el Presidente's chosen Language of Obfuscation. I guess there aren't many around here who would have reason to remember that I also am familiar with it.

So have you got the files Qaanol sent you yet? 😉

So have you got the files Qaanol sent you yet?

:laugh: Can Quannol send them to me as well?

There are no Quaanols on the forums, so no. 😛

Masih belum , saudara Guy. :hector_bird:

Still not yet, brother Guy? Difficult to find translations of Indonesian.

Now then, hands up who knows how to find the Satellite of Love in EV 🙂

Escape Velocity (video game) - Wikipedia said:

cheat codes can unlock a playable version of the Satellite of Love

@team23, on Aug 10 2008, 12:16 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Although I'll admit the dedication to the charade was a bit puzzling around month 2

Sometimes things are slow around here, so what better way to pass the time than messin' with people's heads? 😄

@guy, on Aug 12 2008, 08:19 PM, said in New EV Override port:

The description of the flag in the bible reads:
"When hailing ships of this govt, the request assistance / beg for mercy button is disabled and the govt is not talkative."
So the flag appears to be working as intended, though whether or not the flag was intended to be set I can't say. The flag itself does seem odd to me though. If you can't talk to them, request assistance or beg for mercy, what is the point of being able to hail them at all? Why not just use the "Can't hail ships of this govt" flag?

Yeah, it certainly always has seemed odd to me, especially when the Vella, Auroran, Dani, Tekel, Roughnecks and Polaris at least have a series of comm strings that never get used. I can understand the Krypt not liking to talk, but as you suggest, they could just have those as "no response" a la our Igadzran colleagues.

So Guy when do you expect your updated Port version to come out?

After Nova 1.1.

I enjoyed reading this thread. Not least because I always thought that EV:O was the best in the series. Nova had too much 'recycling' or plot element cross-overs for my liking. Very little can be said to be canonical in terms of the politics of the Nova universe. (Although on the plus side I liked the Cunjo hunting... 😉 )

Fooling us (or some of us) doesn't upset me. We're fair game if we make ourselves fair game. Like Agent Mulder, we want to believe. Although I remember the pattern of posts when Nova was being playtested: who was inside the tent, who wasn't, and the kind of posts we were seeing as a result. This led me not to believe in EV4.

The April Fool thing can do a lot of good, though. Years ago, I was a developer in a MUD. It was suffering from declining player numbers, and when a hard drive failed and caused all kinds of technical problems, it was decided not to resurrect it. Some time later (on April 1st), a player put up a message on the game forum: "It's back"... complete with a joke link. Strangely enough, that message caused a flurry of replies, and we realised that there were still lots of people who wanted to play the game. The joke caused the game to receive a new lease of life.

I'm not advocating the Joss Whedon technique of abusing the fan base: "If the sales of <insert latest product here> are strong enough, perhaps we'll be able to make some more..." but I think the open-architecture 2D space-trading game has a future. It's the plotlines and missions that make the EV series special. Those things don't demand 3D (3D combat, that is; models are fine), and missions are actually harmed by network play... so keep it simple, and keep it low-tech.

I wish Mech Commander 2 (now abandonware) had an active mission developer community. Some of you guys are far more creative... it makes me think that Nova will get a whole lot better if at some point it's abandoned. Then it will really undergo a renaissance - although ATMOS won't recoup their losses as they deserve.

Not that anyone cares, but I was disappointed. There were holes in the story, but I didn't have the time or inclination to investigate and pin down the truth definitively. Then Rudy posted some un(detectably)-doctored pictures, which lent some credibility. So I kept a close eye on the thread, and remained noncommittal one way or the other.

Did any good come out of it? No, not really. Certainly no more than another "wouldn't EV4 be cool?" thread. Two people contacted me about DoI resulting from this thread, but their initial interest hasn't helped the game's development. I understand the phenomenon VoinianAmbassador describes, but it doesn't really apply here. The base of players who want it has never been in doubt. In my estimation, all this thread did was take away people's trust and hope. That's disappointing.

rudy's pictures were entirely unrelated to EV4 – they were part of his own work on updating EVN for Intel compatibility. While I realize his posting here lent a seeming credibility to the rumor, no one who was in on it asked him to post them.

I'll point out that I thought it was real originally, though it confused me as to why Guy would have heard of it first. shrug

@mackilroy, on Sep 12 2008, 11:13 AM, said in New EV Override port:

I'll point out that I thought it was real originally, though it confused me as to why Guy would have heard of it first. shrug

Guy is The EV Man, so it makes sense he could know something before you. 🙂

And... I have no idea how to find the Satellite of Love. 😞

@callide, on Sep 13 2008, 02:02 AM, said in New EV Override port:

And... I have no idea how to find the Satellite of Love. 😞

I think we're still back in the Roman time right now. Uh oh, we got movie sign!!!!!

@crow-t--robot, on Sep 13 2008, 07:44 AM, said in New EV Override port:

I think we're still back in the Roman time right now. Uh oh, we got movie sign!!!!!

Aqueducts? Caligula? Marquees? Mister Crow, I have absolutely no idea watchu talkin 'bout. 🙂

this is not a pipe, i mean ev4

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.ambrosias...howtopic=121877
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tycho : 05 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hmm... I request that this topic be locked so that it can die a natural death safe from those stupid spammers. <_<