New EV Override port

@guy, on May 18 2008, 10:41 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Guys, this topic is about the EVO port. If you have questions about the EV4 engine you should PM Dr. Trowel - he has all sorts of inside information.

Oh man, no. Don't pin that on me. I've been on the road in Real Life, and haven't been briefed by XxXxx for quite a while. Were you confusing me with Edwards or ZP?

Anyway, I hear that Pace is now officially "Director of Outside Commo." (Why does XxXxx keep coming up with these silly/officious titles, anyway?)

(Edit: Sorry for the slip. Fixed.)

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 20 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

I was warned by the aptly-named "XxXxx" that a slip had occurred, both here in this topic in terms of information, and more importantly in "real life" in terms of software.

However, you will all be aware that company policy prohibits us from tolerating such behaviour.

I have therefore charged Q to track down the person who managed to acquire Guy's modified EV4 engine.
Guy, I'm sorry to say your access to the engine source code been revoked.

And Dr. Trowel, please refrain in the future from relaying rumours that may turn out true. You know better than I do how much it hurt EV3^3.

Hey, what? There's been a misunderstanding, I haven't been modifying the engine. Or at least if I have, I've been keeping the builds to myself. The alpha testers for the port have all been using official engine builds, as far as I'm aware, there's no way they could have acquired any builds from me. What makes them think I slipped?

(edit) This has really annoyed me. Geek, you're off the port testing team for your behaviour in this thread.

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

Ah a trickle down stand alone complex.

Duuuuuudes!

EV4? Leak? Joke? You're all giving me a headache and I'm about ready to have our Mistress Of The Dark :hector_bird: put a pox on you all. If something is in a "hush-hush" beta, is this the place to discuss it? kthxbye

πŸ™‚

Sorry, Callide :unsure:

I'll try to stay on topic, so here's a small update: I discovered I hadn't converted the data to the new tech level system properly, resulting in some odd items available at alien renegade worlds (and probably other anomalies I didn't notice). That's all been fixed up now but I'd like to wait for a particular engine bug to be fixed before putting the port into beta.

If this is all real, I'm amazed. I just don't think there's much chance of this, since you were clearly kidding around when you said:

Geek is just annoyed with me because his pilot file got ruined (don't worry, that doesn't happen any more).

This has really annoyed me. Geek, you're off the port testing team for your behaviour in this thread.

I was never on a port testing team (except for finding that asteroid bug in EVO for Nova), and I never had any problem with a corrupted pilot file "testing" any beta. If you are serious about this EV4, I'd accept that, but it's obvious you're joking around like I am at least some of the time, i.e. the above quotes.

If there really is an EV4 beta, why are you testing an EVO port on it without first completing EV4? πŸ™‚

Wow Guy I can't believe I never noticed that! Who knew the people of Hizdriar also make shoddy duplicate blaze cannons? =p

Geek, seriously, stop trying to mislead people. Conveying false information as the truth is unacceptable. I mean, really, this is the internet , you just can't do that kind of thing here.

Dr. Trowel, I took a couple semesters of C++ this year, but I'm really not good enough to work on the engine yet. My teachers weren't that great, so I barely learned anything. If you can teach me what I need to know, I'll probably be in a position to help by the end of the summer. This fall I'm taking a Java class, so if my prof there is halfway decent maybe I can contribute to the network part of the game. Of course, we all hope it'll be done by then, especially since we already have basic LAN dueling capability. Speaking of which, I'll try to slap together a port of Colosseum to the new engine. Then we can have a big party of the weekend blasting each other to blazes. We all need a bit of fun after all this work.

@geek, on May 21 2008, 11:46 PM, said in New EV Override port:

If there really is an EV4 beta, why are you testing an EVO port on it without first completing EV4? πŸ™‚

All things considered, I feel like that would actually make sense... test a smaller universe with content you already have to make sure the engine works, before you complicate it with something bigger and more complex...

Okay okay........in all seriousness, is this EV4 for real? Does it have anything to do with EVO, the best of the three EV's? Will it be simply a graphics revamp and maybe extra missions? (which I can deal with)

@guy, on May 21 2008, 07:05 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Sorry, Callide :unsure:

No need to apologize. I was just a tad confused. πŸ™‚

@qaanol, on May 23 2008, 09:56 AM, said in New EV Override port:

Wow Guy I can't believe I never noticed that! Who knew the people of Hizdriar also make shoddy duplicate blaze cannons? =p

And they still try to sell them at full price!

@qaanol, on May 23 2008, 09:56 AM, said in New EV Override port:

Geek, seriously, stop trying to mislead people. Conveying false information as the truth is unacceptable. I mean, really, this is the internet , you just can't do that kind of thing here.

Wait, that actually was a joke of sorts. I was angry but didn't want to be mean by firing a real tester (I need you guys!) so I picked on Geek instead. Seems he's learnt his lesson now πŸ˜‰
Colosseum will be awesome :). Reckon you can get it done that soon? I know we have most of the process automated now but I'll understand if we have to wait til next weekend.

@godzfire, on May 23 2008, 05:42 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Okay okay........in all seriousness, is this EV4 for real? Does it have anything to do with EVO, the best of the three EV's? Will it be simply a graphics revamp and maybe extra missions? (which I can deal with)

I'm just porting EVO. I can't comment on anything else.

@callide, on May 23 2008, 05:55 PM, said in New EV Override port:

No need to apologize. I was just a tad confused. πŸ™‚

Oh, and you aren't anymore? πŸ˜›

Instead of picking on me, why don't you do something smarter and make me a tester, to "win me over"? πŸ™‚ Might as well build bridges rather than burn them, and maybe I won't go finding bugs in your work after release if I can find them beforehand. πŸ™‚

Spoiler

EVO for Nova 1.0.3. and EVO Facelift 1.0.3., anyone?

@guy, on May 23 2008, 03:44 AM, said in New EV Override port:

Oh, and you aren't anymore? πŸ˜›

TouchΓ©. :laugh:

Ugh! The new engine doesn't do backwards-firing weapons the same as EV3. Negative speed doesn't work right. (Though if you want some entertainment, try it and see!) I have to manually code an event script for weapons that fire at angles other than "straight ahead" or "straight at the target". This is actually going to add significant functionality for all sorts of flight objects, but it's taking a while. Other than Flame Exhaust though, I have CTC ported and I'm looking for testers before we mΔ™lΓ©e. By the way, the interpreted scripting language you guys wrote is awesome. If statements and loops make behavior and event definitions a cinch, plus I discovered they can even be used in Set expressions. Instead of writing something like !b888, you just link to a pΓ€rs resource. If the pΓ€rs returns a bool, the same things works for Test expressions as well! I don't think that was intended, but boy does it work great!

You bet that was intended, it was part of the plan all along (half the purpose of pars, in fact). I'd test CTC for you but I'm currently testing more exciting things πŸ™‚

Geek, there'll be plenty of room for more testers once the port enters beta.

Well, I was a bit skeptical at first, Guy, but since not only you but also a number of other notable forum persona seem to be involved in this project (as well as the considerable amount of progress that you lot have been implied to have made such far) gives me the impression it might actually have a snowball's chance, at least. If nothing else, I'll be able to enjoy the technobabble, and since almost no one else visits this forum anyway, I'm practically guaranteed a front-row seat. πŸ˜‰

grabs popcorn

Odd. Guy, I'm getting some strange behavior on my MacBook that doesn't appear on my Mac Pro. At launch and during gameplay some of the ship and planet sprites turn white. Could it be an issue with the GMA 950? I know in older engines this issue didn't appear. grumbles about having to make another ticket for it

It is indeed a time of strange portents. πŸ™‚

Mack, you know I can't do anything about engine issues. Try toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode, it may provide a temporary fix.