Thermonuclear War, Round VI

It's the end of the world as we know it.

_Over the course of the last several months, munitions and other assets have been disappearing from global stockpiles. Due to poor communication between the major nuclear powers, each nation accused the others. When the true scope of the problem had been discovered, it was already too late. Detonators were stolen from the Russian Union; plutonium and uranium were taken from China; computer components were taken from the US. All together, it looked like someone was attempting to build a nuclear arsenal.

Last night, it was confirmed. A terrorist organization, calling themselves the Andromeda Society, are responsible for the thefts. Their stated goal is to end humanity's dependence on technology by destroying as much of that technology as possible. In the past, they have been responsible for terrorist bombings, a few major hacks of intelligence networks, and some major catastrophes. Most recently, they managed to destroy Three Gorges Dam in China, Saratov Dam in Russia, Hoover Dam in the US, and the High Aswan dam in Egypt in the most devastating terrorist act in the history of the world.

This is a dangerous group, and we know they mean business. The damage that they could do with the weapons that they have stolen in unimaginable. Fortunately, they did not manage to get launch codes before the thefts were noticed. That means that we have some time. Don't get me wrong -- their abilities to crack digital security are second to none, and they figure it out eventually, but we do have some time.

The goal of this special council is to weed out the terrorist threat, and stop the Andromeda Society before they can employ their nuclear arsenal. You have been sent by your governments because you are top experts from your intelligence agencies and military and diplomatic leadership. Your goal is to root out the terrorist agents among you, and stop them before it is too late._

-----

THE RULES:

The game will work much as before. The special council will meet, and select an agent for arrest. The arrested agent will be taken to the appropriate authorities, interrogated, and, in all likelihood, executed for treason. After the security council has met and dispatched with one of their number, everyone will adjourn to their separate nations of residence. During the break, the terrorist agents from the special council will have the chance to act. Pretty standard.

Each round will last as long as I say it lasts. Probably somewhere between 24 and 48 hours. If the thread seems dead, or everyone has voted, I may end a round early (though I will give some warning). If things are happening, I might extend the deadline. At the beginning of each round, I will provide an approximate time end time.

Votes must be in bold.

I will not be revealing roles at death. There are several special roles, and each one knows what they can do. I am not going to tell the rest of you what they can do. I will, however, tell you that there are only two terrorist agents among you.

Finally, each of you represents a nation. This will have some bearing on the game, though I leave it to you to figure it out. Your national alignments are as follows:

United Kingdom: Eugene Chin
United States of America: 1Eevee1, GutlessWonder, and mrxak
Russian Federation: Cerberus, kickme, nfreader
People's Republic of China: darth_vader, Mackilroy, rebelswin_85

Everyone should be getting a PM. You may begin voting once you have received your PM, and replied to me.

Good luck!

xander

USA! USA! USA!

The People's Republic of China is very distressed by this recent turn of events and wishes to offer its full cooperation in bringing these terrorists to heel.

So uh, are we to assume that anybody can be an evil dictator, even members of factions that have innocents in them?

Also, USA! USA! USA!

Technically, shouldn't it be USoA? We're all geeks here. 😛

But, yeah, USA! USA! USA!

@mrxak, on Sep 15 2007, 09:41 AM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

So uh, are we to assume that anybody can be an evil dictator, even members of factions that have innocents in them?

Also, USA! USA! USA!

Anyone could be a terrorist. Even a representative from a nation with innocents. The Andromeda Society does, after all, have international support. By the way, I am not going to end the first round until around noon PDT on Monday (7 PM Monday GMT). So you all have plenty of time to make accusations, and cast your votes.

xander

@mrxak, on Sep 15 2007, 04:41 AM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

USA! USA! USA!

I wish I were Russian, so I could scream "AAAAAH MOTHERLAND!!!" but I'm not, and I don't know any Chinese clichéd patriotic slogans.

@darth_vader, on Sep 15 2007, 10:59 AM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

I wish I were Russian, so I could scream "AAAAAH MOTHERLAND!!!" but I'm not, and I don't know any Chinese clichéd patriotic slogans.

Better Red than Pink(o)?

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!!

Nuke Wales!

I forgot to include Eugene_Chin originally. He is, in fact, playing. I have reassigned a few people, so please do not assume that, simply because he is late to the table, he is either innocent or a terrorist. If you do not get a PM stating that you have been reassigned, nothing has changed for you. Eugene_Chin represents the UK. Thanks to the diplomatic success that the UK has had in the past, you are all very swayed by the arguments that are made on behalf of the UK. As such, Eugene_Chin's votes will count as 1.5 votes during daily voting. This will ensure that ties are not possible. 😉

xander

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, darwinian, but I didn't realize that my name had been overlooked until the game had already started.

Thanks.

Awright, let's get down to business. If those of you who are traitors to your own countries and the world would like to step forward, we can make this as easy as can be. I'd hate to think that anyone from my own country would be helping these...Andromeda Society folk...but someone is.

@eugene-chin, on Sep 15 2007, 09:45 PM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, darwinian, but I didn't realize that my name had been overlooked until the game had already started.

Thanks.

No worries. Now, all of you need to get voting! You only have 44 hours left!

xander

Okay, once again everybody's too much of a coward to start the finger pointing. But perhaps we can at least try to narrow it down just a little bit.

I'm inclined to align myself with the blue people more than the red people. Additionally, I know that nuclear arsenals are more likely to go missing in the former USSR than anywhere else in the real world. Besides, I've never heard of the Saratov Dam, sounds made up, like the Russians just pretended they got attacked. Therefore, I'm inclined to think that either Cerberus, kickme, or nfreader is sneaking nukes to the... who are we fighting again? The hippies?

Normally I'd rule out nfreader, since he's been an evil dictator more than anybody else, I believe, but still, we shouldn't make any assumptions based on prior games.

Well, speaking as from where I am... I have no clue. And I'll avoid pointing any fingers for the time being.

We Chinese are too brutal to our own populace to allow any of these silly Andromeda people to live amongst us. We suggest you look elsewhere.

@mackilroy, on Sep 16 2007, 12:41 AM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

We Chinese are too brutal to our own populace to allow any of these silly Andromeda people to live amongst us. We suggest you look elsewhere.

Oppression breeds resentment, which leads to terrorists. Retracted Mackilroy, I directly accuse you of aiding the
Andromeda Society.

This post has been edited by GutlessWonder : 17 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

Not physical brutality, you silly monkey. Mental. Physical brutality is for lower life-forms.

@gutlesswonder, on Sep 16 2007, 07:29 AM, said in Thermonuclear War, Round VI:

Oppression breeds resentment, which leads to terrorists. Mackilroy , I directly accuse you of aiding the
Andromeda Society.

Your lax American society is what really breeds terrorists. Also, there are 1.3 billion Chinese, and we stick together. Don't accuse one of us without us accusing you back. In defense of my countrymen, I must vote for GutlessWonder.