Suggestions for 1.0.3

post them here!

Please post all suggestions for 1.0.3 here

-75% and 150% zoom options in editor.

-the ability to change the center of rotation.

-use custom maps for multiplayer (On seperate scoring sheet).

This post has been edited by kauthor : 05 April 2007 - 03:31 PM
Reason for edit: New version

Being able to put in a number for %Zoom.

Oh come on you guys, Sketchfighter 1.0.1 came out only 2 hours ago. 2 hours!

@jacabyte, on Mar 6 2007, 10:29 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

Oh come on you guys, Sketchfighter 1.0.1 came out only 2 hours ago. 2 hours!

lol - should that stop us? (Edit - especially since, like cheleball, my level I am making is unplayable in places now, hence I don't really feel the urge to carry on designing it - I can just sit here and whine instead 😉 )

The two biggest issues for 1.0.2 are IMHO

• trigger slow down

• editor CPU usage

everything else should be secondary to those.

One idea I had though was that it ought to be possible to have high-score lists for custom maps too.

For example - as follows:

• Map is given to board-mods/ambrosia/trusted-other to approve

• Map is signed and locked such that it won't open in the editor (to stop people cheating!)

• Map is distributed for people and uploads on completion the times to a given high score list. There just needs to be a way of namespacing the map properly but this could be done by the signature from (2).

• Modifying the map file in any way should void the signature, hence stopping it from scoring.

Similar things could be done for multi-player maps I suppose (assuming those could be created? I've never tried so have no idea)

This post has been edited by Crono : 06 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

Forgot this:
Being able to type more then one line in the ingame chat!** Is annoying to have to retype so much. Also scrolling in the lobby chat.

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 06 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

And time lengths in 30 second increments in multiplayer.

Being able to type more then one line in the ingame chat! Is annoying to have to retype so much. Also scrolling in the lobby chat.

Not often that there's enough people in the lobby to actually need to scroll though is there? lol! I'm just kidding, although there's never really allot of people.

Um, I'm not one to complain, and I don't want to cause a fuss or anything, but there is one problem I discovered whilst map making that's a bit of a bugger. When you set a best time in a custom level you can't reset the time unless you rename the file. Not the level, the file. It's just a small thing, but it's a drag when BETA testing. <_< (by the way, if anyone discovered the spaces and full stops used at the end of some of my levels file names and wondered why they were there... now you know. 😛 )

heres some more suggestions and things to fix.

-goodies not going outside of the walls for the Forest Boss.
-climate particles not being set to only red.

Also i noticed if you put a racing mini game in a custom level and the timer starts counting up, whenever you reach the end of the race you have however many seconds it took you to complete to finish the level.

This post has been edited by Dogbert : 06 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

@silverwind, on Mar 6 2007, 04:28 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

Not often that there's enough people in the lobby to actually need to scroll though is there? lol! I'm just kidding, although there's never really allot of people.

When there are people, they often get to chatting pretty fast. Also, it often happens that you come out of a game to find that the people in the lobby have just had a short conversation, with the first half just out of sight. However, I don't think chat-scrolling should be all that high on the list of issues that need fixing.

@silverwind, on Mar 6 2007, 04:28 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

Um, I'm not one to complain, and I don't want to cause a fuss or anything, but there is one problem I discovered whilst map making that's a bit of a bugger. When you set a best time in a custom level you can't reset the time unless you rename the file.

Open ~/Library/Preferences/com.ambrosiasw.sketchfighter.plist and delete the entries for best times for the appropriate levels.

Anyway, my list so far:

• The framerate and editor CPU usage issues mentioned above need to be fixed.

• In addition, the seems to have been a general increase in the amount of lag from just having a lot of sprites/AIs on-screen. I tested this using exactly the same level in both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1. The level in question has roughly 150 solid sprites visible on-screen at any given time, none of which have AIs. In 1.0.0, normal flying is a bit jerky, but quite playable, and firing the green pellet gun results in just a slight decrease in framerate, and about 10% of the bullets go through the walls. In 1.0.1, normal flying has a similar framerate to 1.0.0 with the gun firing (playable, if a bit annoying), but firing the green pellet gun drops the framerate to the seconds-per-frame rate. The other guns don't have quite as extreme an effect, but still drop the framerate to below playable levels. Nothing goes through the walls, though...

• Bounce the Dock icon when someone enters the multiplayer lobby , so that it will be more feasible to leave the game running in the background for long periods to make it likely that you'll meet other people in the lobby. The quiet scritching sounds just aren't enough. (Case in point: As I was copying and pasting this very paragraph from my last set of suggestions, someone came into the tracker, said "hello" and left.) Note: I will keep suggesting this at every reasonable instance until it is implemented.

• Separate the scores made in the various multiplayer levels into different lists, rather than keeping them all on the same list. I have severeal reasons for this:

1. The changes to blob behavior, although they will prevent or reduce "local multiplayer" abuse in the Volcano, will have no effect on the best network-play tactic for high scores on that map that Newt and I have found, and which I suspect that Jimerson and Xel used. It would take significant changes to the map layout itself to prevent this tactic.
  2. Speaking as one of the top multiplayer players, it is my experience that it takes a true miracle to reach the current high score list with the Factory and Crazy Zone maps, and I suspect that the Ice Caves map will also require a miraculous run by June (earlier if anyone besides myself and Newt start setting scores).
  3. Creating a separation of the scores for the built-in levels now would set the stage for keeping scores from custom multiplayer maps sometime in the future, without having to vet those maps to make sure that they can't give scores much above the 100,000-175,000 range.
  • Allow custom multiplayer maps, regardless of whether the high scores from those maps are saved by the server.

• Speed up scrolling in the custom map list.

• Fix the auto-generated markers for the Super Weapon pickups to only appear when the sprites are of type Pickup.

• The following are copied from earlier posts of mine:

1. In the "aftermath" chat screen, it is quite annoying to be in the middle of typing a long sentence, and have the other person suddenly hit the "play again" button, drop you back into the level-select screen, thus deleting everything you've typed. I can see a few ways around this:
    a) Have the game remember what you had already typed when you jump between chat screens.
    b) Require both parties to agree before the "play again" button can be pressed, in a similar manner to the "Play" button in the level-select screen.
    c) Place a "the other person currently has unsent text typed" indicator on the screen, much like iChat's "thinking bubble" typing indicator.

2. In the main game lobby, save the currently-typed message but unsent message in the main lobby if you are invited, but refuse the invitation. Only delete that text when you accept an invitation (and even then, it might be reasonable to keep the text into the next chat screen).

3. Ability to watch games between other people. It would be very nice when there are an uneven number of people on the tracker to allow the person who would be left out to at least watch the other two (and preferably chat with them between games), and I'm sure that there are quite a few people reading these forums who would love to have an over-the-shoulder look at some of the high-scoring games.

Edwards

• Debork invisible sprites

• Debork whatever is causing the final boss in the Temple of the Pen to wig out

• I like to say 'bork'

@edwards, on Mar 7 2007, 05:24 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

(*)Speed up scrolling in the custom map list.

And make the list bigger.

I'd really like to see a Music Change function for custom levels. ^_^ A trigger would probably be the easiest way, for example: "Volcano Music Start" would be simple and sweet for editors, although it might be incredibly difficult to add a feature such as this into the game, I'm not sure.

@silverwind, on Mar 13 2007, 10:23 AM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

I'd really like to see a Music Change function for custom levels. ^_^ A trigger would probably be the easiest way, for example: "Volcano Music Start" would be simple and sweet for editors, although it might be incredibly difficult to add a feature such as this into the game, I'm not sure.

Funnily I suggested this to the list some days ago, too, but added some other things to my wishlist as well (for example a loading another level trigger). But no reply by Lars yet.

A loading another level trigger would be one of the greatest things imaginable, as it would really solve the problems of changing music, the slow down in large files and having proper multiple Boss Doors!

@silverwind, on Mar 13 2007, 04:57 PM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

A loading another level trigger would be one of the greatest things imaginable, as it would really solve the problems of changing music, the slow down in large files and having proper multiple Boss Doors!

And proper changings of areas. 🙂 But I don't really exspect it to happen, because it'd be a lot of work.

Ok, here's another one I just thought up. How about a Text Alert Trigger that would allow you to create on screen messages like "Boss Warning" and "Race info"? It could be really useful in terms of putting a story to your level, as it could make the characters talk. 🙂 Again, a trigger would probably be the easiest way of doing this, for example: "Text Alert.Welcome to Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha" would bring up an onscreen message when the player steps on the trigger that would have written on it "Welcome to Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha"

Although it would be easy enough to handle in game, I've no idea how hard it would be to add into the game.

@silverwind, on Mar 13 2007, 09:23 AM, said in Suggestions for 1.0.3:

As far as I can tell from my poking around, it'd just be ((NSApp getSoundSystem) playMusic:@"Volcano");

Not a very complicated change 🙂

-The ability to have multiple mini-bosses (with doors) in a custom level

-Editor script to calculate collisions, so I could test if sprites are solid or not, etc

-Not locking certain scripts to sprites (so a Guardian can ram like a big Flicker, etc)--maybe not all that useful, but still an idea.--

-Ability to adjust the center of a sprite's rotation without stretching it

The ability to link to another level and change music would be cool too, but this might be too hard to add into the game

-being able to set a sprite to absorb wave bullets.

-Able to set how far an "env. mover" will go.

It would be nice to be able to change the colour of the ship/smudges (for chalk-type levels).

It would also be handy for the editor/game to allow the use of custom scripts/sprites/etc (but mostly scripts)