1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge

-- a subversion diversion

So I've cracked the top 40 in the "2P Cooperative High Scores" without a partner -- I just fly one ship, allowing the second one to drag/bounce along behind me.

Anyone care to beat me at this? It's an interestingly different sort of challenge, and it shouldn't be too difficult for a good player....

Um, how did you create a game by yourself?

Seems like even beta testers forget about local 2P...

heh. But dont you go slower that way?

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 14 2006, 09:25 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

My best time was a Freq vs Freq local game, both ships were controled with the same keys. 😛

@-sw--spartan-327, on Dec 14 2006, 07:48 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

heh. But dont you go slower that way?

Well yeah, and it also behooves you to protect your deadweight to avoid the 1000-point penalty for each time it dies. Those things are part of the challenge.

@freq245, on Dec 14 2006, 08:35 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

My best time was a Freq vs Freq local game, both ships were controled with the same keys. 😛

Cool! I gotta try a coop "match" played that way. You should get to choose a name for the method. "1P Synchronized," or something else? 🙂

I did this to test Crazy Zone. It's actually pretty fun.

i tryed the 2 ( 😉 ) player game. it was fun 😄

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 14 2006, 12:25 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

Actually, I didn't realize that local games go on the high scores list, nor was I aware that you enter a team name instead of two people. That's a fun alternative, especially when nobody's on the tracker.

@dr--trowel, on Dec 14 2006, 09:40 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

Cool! I gotta try a coop "match" played that way. You should get to choose a name for the method. "1P Synchronized," or something else? 🙂

I've usually played "single-multi-player" games on competitive mode, to avoid getting on the high score list. I don't think it's as much of a problem now, as it really takes two people working in close coordination to get above 60-75000 points, but back when the game was new it was a bit embarrassing to accidentally get 8th place working alone.

Edwards

@dr--trowel, on Dec 14 2006, 05:40 PM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

Well yeah, and it also behooves you to protect your deadweight to avoid the 1000-point penalty for each time it dies. Those things are part of the challenge.

Maybe "2P Singlised"?

I managed to get an 80000 high score while playing a 2P Deadweight game with not too much effort in the Forest multiplayer level. (I think "1P Synchronized" is confusing and "2P Singlized" sounds kind of weird, but "2P Deadweight" accurately conveys the situation.)

A couple of tips:

1. Assign the shoot key for your deadweight to be something out of the way -- you don't want him to shoot. That way you can more easily take advantage of the multipliers. It will make it a bit harder since you have to take out all the stuff with only one player, but it's quite easy to get through the entire Forest run to the last 7 stars using this method. (Hint: get the super wave. 🙂 )

2. Assign the forward and turn keys for your deadweight to the same keys as your primary ship, but DON'T assign the back key for your deadweight to the same key as your primary ship. You still want the back key to be easily accessible, though. That way when the deadweight is in front of you or in danger of dying, you can just back him up a bit independently of your primary ship.

Dr. Trowel: Are you "..." in the 2P Cooperative high score list?

(UPDATE: ROFL! I just played it again using this method, and got the #2 2P cooperative high score. First 2P Deadweight non-beta over-100,000 high score! ;))

This post has been edited by simX : 15 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

Well, no, simX, that's not an uncooperative deadweight game, since the second ship moves along with you, so it's not dead weight, just some sort of guardian angel. An actualy dead weight would have its keys mapped to ones you don't use, and you'd have to actually drag it along.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 16 2006, 05:06 AM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

Well, no, simX, that's not an uncooperative deadweight game, since the second ship moves along with you, so it's not dead weight, just some sort of guardian angel. An actualy dead weight would have its keys mapped to ones you don't use, and you'd have to actually drag it along.

I second ZP here -- simX, your weight wasn't dead! Neither was it fully uncooperative or synchronized. By breaking the rules of both those game variants, though, you've created something new (well, except for Edwards' earlier experimentation, I guess). Maybe it could be called "Solo Open Class," in which the goal is to maximize your "1P 2P" score by any means short of enlisting a second player. 🙂

@simx, on Dec 15 2006, 11:00 PM, said in 1P Uncooperative Deadweight Challenge:

Dr. Trowel: Are you "..." in the 2P Cooperative high score list?

Sadly, no. My entries are listed as "Dr Trowel solo," and my deadweight best score is at #39 as I write this.