EVN - Delphi

Perhaps most importantly, it looks like a well-designed variant of the trek ships. None of those spindly, easy-to-shoot-off stalks connecting all the pieces.

QUOTE (Jalisurr @ Nov 9 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps most importantly, it looks like a well-designed variant of the trek ships. None of those spindly, easy-to-shoot-off stalks connecting all the pieces.

I hope it doesn't look too trek-like. That was certainly not my intention. However, during the design process I did entertain the notions of both a filled-hull version as well as a separated cannon concept. For the most part I like the filled version the best, simply because it looks heavy both front and back and lends itself more to the description I gave, in which it has ample room for turrets and other non-artillery weaponry.

Now see, that's why I didn't see the resemblance to the Enterprise until Jalisurr mentioned it. I was thinking of the beefy type of stuff you already do, Delphi. The Sigma really only resembles Constitution Class vessels from a profile view, and even then it's vague. Any other view reveals the true shape of the hull.

And I reiterate: I can't wait to shoot me some Pariah ships with that thing. Delphi, any chance you could whip up a quick plug-in that introduces Pariah ships and weapons to EVN so I can get a head start on blasting them? πŸ™‚

Spending time on the bus is almost always conducive to creative inspiration.

This little beast is a specialty ship that becomes available to players who explore a side-quest in the NDC story campaign. The Centaur is a strong little cruiser featuring stolen Enclave technology to make it more maneuverable than it should be for a vessel of its size. Another revolutionary and unique feature of the Centaur is its modular weapon housing, which allows for different configurations of the vessel according to the parameters of its mission, without replacing or rebuilding the entire ship. Although this modification must be performed at a suitable outfitter, it greatly expands the vessel's adaptability. Presently, three major versions of the ship exist: one fitted for missile bombardment, one fitted for artillery combat, and one mixing the two into a special hybrid. The hybrid variant of the ship is versatile indeed, but doesn't perform either offensive task exceptionally well due to space and weapon-mount constraints. Fortunately, this is offset by the additional of a superior shield generator, giving the ship a little bit more time on the battlefield before serious damage is incurred.

I'm honestly freaking scared of all three types, especially the missile variant. I do NOT want to incur the wrath of 16 missile tubes.

You should see the superheavy version. You don't get to fly this one, but that's because it has its entire FTL drive stripped out to make room for two artillery cannons and two missile banks. It's very slow, very well-armored, and you'll see it deployed as a planetary defence vehicle around several important NDC worlds. It's more or less a mobile version of a station's artillery system. If you're thinking of taking over a system, you may want to wait for one of these to not be present.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Nov 15 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just came as close as possible to the fangirl squeal without actually being un-manly.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Nov 15 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH WHAT THE--

dies from brain overload

/glee

QUOTE (Delphi @ Nov 16 2010, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should see the superheavy version. You don't get to fly this one, but that's because it has its entire FTL drive stripped out to make room for two artillery cannons and two missile banks. It's very slow, very well-armored, and you'll see it deployed as a planetary defence vehicle around several important NDC worlds. It's more or less a mobile version of a station's artillery system. If you're thinking of taking over a system, you may want to wait for one of these to not be present.

I'll still capture it, land on the planet, and purchase a fuel tank. πŸ™‚

QUOTE (Insomniac @ Nov 16 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll still capture it, land on the planet, and purchase a fuel tank. πŸ™‚

Who says you can buy fuel tanks in EVN: Delphi? Even if you can, maybe he'll limit that to ships that already have enough fuel/energy to make jumps. In fact, he might not even give the Centaur any crew, preventing players from boarding it.

And Delphi, if you didn't think of any of this, I'm glad I mentioned it and hope I gave you ideas. πŸ˜„

Edit: Oh, there's also the thing about not being able to disable planetary defense ships. They go down shooting, literally. That also means capturing one means Delphi has to place it in a dΔ‚ΕΊde that's seen flying around on patrol and not just used for defense fleets.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 16 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm just going to make a plug to get it. πŸ˜‰

It's been 18 days since Delphi last posted here. I'm guessing holidays are to blame.

Curse you, holiday season!! πŸ˜›

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Dec 3 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been 18 days since Delphi last posted here. I'm guessing holidays are to blame.

Curse you, holiday season!! πŸ˜›

No, just exams, massive final projects, and work on the side. I'm literally not free a single day in the week right now.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you guys. I'm going to work performing renders during the Christmas season, in the hopes that I might finally have a large enough shipyard by the end of it to actually start performing a finalized template for game balancing. After that, system design will be my top priority. Once those two massive things are out of the way, I'm really hoping to release at least some form of the plug that you folks can actually run around in. Right now there are a lot of fragmented pieces and leftovers from the original Nova game. That and a lot of the ships are using a generic template with 100 shields and 100 armour, and as a result a Dominant is exactly as strong and fast as a shuttle.

For the most part, I'm approaching a comfortable point in the completion level of the NDC shipyard, though there are still a few critical pieces I'd like to get done. I still need to render the following:

Epheron Shuttle
Atlas Transport
Cyphus Dominant
Marcus Transport
Mars Corvette
Neptune Corvette
Insight Cruiser
Imperator Heavy Cruiser
Falconridge Cruiser
Envoy Scout Cruiser
Typharic Cruiser

I know that's a lengthy list, but considering what I've done so far, it shouldn't be too bad to get through, assuming my new laptop is up to the task of performing massive renders in just a few seconds each (which it is).

I'll try to save some time also by completing Enclave-color renders of many of the NDC ships while I create the NDC-specific ones, so that I can pick and choose from the entire set which ones I would like the Enclave to have "stolen" for their shipyards. There'll also be some intense kit-bashing on several of the established models to create Enclave variants with different geometry. Then again, the component-based model system I'm using now is, at its core, kit-bashing to begin with.

Either way, I'll be sure to stop by when I get the time to get some real progress done. Real life sucks sometimes when you're busy building something great like this. I know it's been an absolutely massive four years (yeah, it's almost been that long - I started in late 2006), but I'm really thankful for your support. You guys are what keep me going.

I think seeing some of this awesomeness is what keeps a few of us going too, Delphi. Thank you!

This post has been edited by krugeruwsp : 08 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Delphi @ Dec 8 2010, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<long list of ships for EVN: Delphi>

If that's what you have left to do, and you're almost done, then how many ships have you completed? How many are in the game?

I know it's been an absolutely massive four years (yeah, it's almost been that long - I started in late 2006), but I'm really thankful for your support. You guys are what keep me going.

Whoa, really? That's about when I started working on HOTS as an EVN TC. Weird... On another note, in case it's not obvious enough, you totally have my full continued support. πŸ˜„

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Dec 8 2010, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think seeing some of this awesomeness is what keeps a few of us going too, Delphi. Thank you!

Seconded.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Nov 15 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A quick question. Two actually. What is the ship on the left and how big is it in game?

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Dec 10 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the ship on the left...?

It's the Epheron Shuttle.

The holiday stress is almost over, and thus the shipbuilding should resume shortly.

In other news, I took some decent photos of tonight's Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse, an event that has only occurred once before in the course of recorded astronomy, 456 years ago. Go and check it out. I'm using this sudden renewed fascination with space to try and kick-start me back into development on the plug-in.

http://gallery.me.com/davideasthope#100026

I am insanely jealous. We got 6 inches of snow last night, and I completely missed the eclipse. Thanks for the pictures, though!