EVN - Delphi

QUOTE (Delphi @ Aug 16 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that the majority of Nova's target pictures were pretty because of their little isometric icons, but ultimately it seemed to defeat the desired idea behind bringing a vessel's stats up on your viewer, so the Delphi target pictures will likely more closely resemble the technical readouts from EVC and EVO. I won't have all the little annotations, but I will probably provide a sort of traced wireframe much like the outfit pictures. Also, a lot of the ships are very easily identifiable by their profile, whereas a scan-lined isometric target picture may make some ships difficult to single out with just the image alone. When you change targets from a freighter to one of those upright Enclave cruisers, it should hopefully be very distinct and recognizable.

Excellent I was hoping for an answer like that or something radically different. Either way not Nova ones though.

Also what was the idea behind the coloring of the outfits or is it just three colors you like and do you know yet if the target pictures will follow the same color scheme as the outfits?

QUOTE (Sp3cies @ Aug 15 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent I was hoping for an answer like that or something radically different. Either way not Nova ones though.

Also what was the idea behind the coloring of the outfits or is it just three colors you like and do you know yet if the target pictures will follow the same color scheme as the outfits?

Both the Enclave and NDC interfaces use white graphics and text, inset into dark, high-contrast solid metal and polycarbonate frames. I think I posted the sidebar graphic on here a while back, but I can't remember for sure. In either case, here it is again.

That little Versatile better fire up his engines and run. Once I get these darned weapons aligned, he'll really have something to worry about.

Heh, wow, I've never seen that happen before. The AI can do some really stupid things, eh? That aside, that's the heavy fighter you included with the 1st Component Library, correct? I can see a lot more of that detail than I expected to be able to, nice! Though, does it have the intended colors? It almost looks like it's glowing a deep blue rather than the metal blue you've said NDC ships will have.

The deep blue is actually very nice--I highly prefer it over the sorta dull metal blue.

It's just a little bit too blue, but don't worry, the end result won't be nearly as grey as the shuttle next to it there. The ability to color far more effectively in Bryce is simply inherently producing far more saturated sprites.

Heh, wow, I've never seen that happen before. The AI can do some really stupid things, eh?

He probably hasn't hit it yet. The AI doesn't react to attacks before they land, only after.

And that sidebar is awesome, really excellent. I like the new arrangement you made for it.

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Aug 16 2010, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He probably hasn't hit it yet. The AI doesn't react to attacks before they land, only after.

I know that. I'm referring to the fact the fighter hasn't hit it yet, especially at that range. I meant I've never seen the AI have aim that bad unless they're using a turret and their target is flying at them at high speed.

Oh, and the AI does respond to attacks before they land, just as long as the attack is from a guided missile.

Damn that looks slick.

And what are you guys talking about A.I. not responding till after they have landed? A.I.'s always respond unless they are currently landed/docked...

EDIT: My apologies, I will use the time of the post as an excuse for the misunderstanding.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 18 August 2010 - 05:30 AM

Before the shot lands, Sp3cies, not the ship.

Yikes, are we seriously on the verge of an argument about the Nova AI? I was in the Scimitar, and I fired a couple of shots across the stern of a Versatile Shuttle. Yes, it's weird that they wouldn't perceive this as a threat, but I suppose the AI considers it "no harm, no foul". Granted, you'd think that crossing flight paths would also result in a collision, but that's when the engine says, "Oh, we're just kidding; you actually flew over them," so I would assume the argument for why the ships don't react to your shots are that you're actually several dozen meters above or below them.

I know it doesn't really have to be answered, but there it is. That's my theory, anyway.

In all seriousness, I have a question for the forum.

I noticed in Mission Computer that shän resources let you choose different sprite sizes for things like engine glows and weapon effects. If you have a sprite that measures 50 x 50, and you apply an engine glow that measures 100 x 100, does it center the other sprite over the first, or draw it from the corner? I would assume that if it centers the sprites, you could use this to better design a fighter with a long engine contrail, or a ship like the Polaris Raven that has a long weapon sprite protruding from the front of the craft, without the base image having to be as large as the body and the contrail.

I believe it draws from the center. In fact, what you've described is actually demonstrated by stock EVN. Almost every ship has a glow RLE four times as large as the ship RLE. For example, the IDA Frigate has a frame size of 100x100 pixels, meaning each frame is 100 pixels tall and 100 pixels wide. At the same time, its engine glow has frames measuring in at 200x200 pixels. However, the glow RLE spins just fine in Mission Computer. If EVN's engine drew from the corner, I'd think the glow would need to be off-center when viewed in Mission Computer. This leads me to my above hypothesis.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 17 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Delphi @ Aug 16 2010, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That little Versatile better fire up his engines and run. Once I get these darned weapons aligned, he'll really have something to worry about.

Um, has anyone else noticed that the attacker has a distinct resemblance to a Wraith from Starcraft?

Well, kind of, but the Wraith has three wings, Delphi's above fighter only has two. Here is a larger, albeit unpainted, image of Delphi's fighter. If you download the parts collection in the link in that post (assuming Delphi hasn't changed the link) you'll find a full model for Delphi's fighter that you won't find in the 2.0 Library found in Delphi's signature. That will show you another difference; the Wraith's upper two wings start off traveling up and away from the fuselage but then turn down mid-way to attach to the weapon pods. Delphi's fighter's wings are straight.

I told you that I was going to revamp the Alexander with the new parts so that it doesn't look so detail-bare, and in the process I even made it look mightier. The original looks like a frail little yacht compared to this behemoth.

I also removed the antenna from the bottom of the craft, because it never showed up in the renders anyway, and was ultimately sort of pointless for a ship designed to cause massive amounts of destruction.

As usual, it still carries two of the biggest guns in the entire game, as well as a plethora of other harrowing weaponry. When your little cruiser faces concentrated artillery fire from the core of the Alexander and bolts of furious energy arcing from massive E-Mag batteries, your only real hope is that a well-placed shot disintegrates your vessel in a relatively quick and painless manner.

Either way, I really like it.

Oh, and here's a profile shot as well, for good measure.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 19 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Well, I actually liked the original more. Not only is the Alexander a massive ship, but the original model actually looked like a massive ship. This new one looks like a standard frigate. It's your ship, and it really is beautiful, but I don't think it's extravagant enough for what you describe the Alexander to be.

It also has to do with the angle on the images this time. I took these a little further out so that perspective wouldn't skew the front and rear ends of the vessel.

In either situation, I needed to add complexity to the ship to accommodate the new rendering method. I tried to take the original model into the new version of Bryce to individually detail components, and it just doesn't quite have enough of them to provide it anything more than a ubiquitous base texture.

Here, perhaps this shot alongside the Monolith will help for scale.

Also, this is a shot of the original Alexander, for comparison.

Yeah, the new one does have a more murderous quality to it. I suspect its immense size will come through a little better when it's sprite is in-game than it does here. Nice work, Delphi! I like the greater detail.

The new and insanely improved Alexander needs a sprite size like the one in post 1155 in order for that epic beast to keep its extreme level of detail.

You blew out my mind again, Delphi.

Woah dude, much better.