I'm well into developing a TC....

@lobf, on Oct 14 2007, 11:22 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

What has come up? How long will you be gone for?

Just a note, if you're gone, you ussauly can't post to the forum. Just thought you'd like to know.

What has come up? How long will you be gone for?

Just a note, if you're gone, you ussauly can't post to the forum. Just thought you'd like to know.

When did I say I'd be gone? I said I can't work on it right now, that's all. It's USUALLY, by the way. Just Real Life has come up, that's all.

Real Life. Gotta hate it.

😉

@0101181920, on Oct 14 2007, 09:11 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Gee, thanks dude. I thought he could make a post with the power of his mind but you have shown me the error in my thinking.

And Shli- what in real life?

Gee, thanks dude. I thought he could make a post with the power of his mind but you have shown me the error in my thinking.

I can do that. How do you think I'm posting? 😉

And Shli- what in real life?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

(obviously) I'm joking. (/obviously)

@shlimazel, on Oct 15 2007, 09:13 AM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

When did I say I'd be gone? I said I can't work on it right now, that's all. It's USUALLY, by the way. Just Real Life has come up, that's all.
😉

Okay, I assumed some thing that was wrong. So shoot me. And what is real life but a mixture of believed facts? Sort of pointless, actually.

Okay, I assumed some thing that was wrong. So shoot me

Actually, you assumed SOMETHING that was wrong.... Sorry. And I will. Just as soon as I figure out how to nail people through the phone lines...

And what is real life but a mixture of believed facts? Sort of pointless, actually.

True. But I find life to be very important. After all, if you didn't have it we wouldn't be having this discussion.

@shlimazel, on Oct 16 2007, 12:41 PM, said in I'm well into developing a TC....:

Actually, you assumed SOMETHING that was wrong.... Sorry. And I will. Just as soon as I figure out how to nail people through the phone lines...
True. But I find life to be very important. After all, if you didn't have it we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Actually, we don't use the standard phone line for internet, so you can't shoot me through that. I would suggest posting pictures of bullets directed at a copper atom. And it is actually argueable that life is important. If we didn't live, we wouldn't die, either. You can't break the arms of a creature that has no arms.

If a person didn't have a brain, they wouldn't have to think about anything. But, as well all know, brainless people are stupid.

And what has no arms, no brain, and no life? A rock! Would you like to be a rock? :laugh:

Why not? Are you guilty about anything? If you didn't exist, you wouldn't have to deal with it. You can't feel what you didn't do. I'm not talking about being something inanimate. I'm talking about not living. And really, we're destroying the planet. That's a lot of guilt right there.

Wait, what? I don't have a clue what you're saying. From what I can gather, you're guilty about causing enviromental damage, so you'd rather not exist? :huh:

This seems like a rather pointless debate, fellows. After all, the argument that

it is actually argueable that life is important.

is just plain stupid. I'm sorry, but it is. We are alive. That makes us able to exist as we are. If we were not alive, we'd be dead or not exist.

If we didn't live, we wouldn't die, either.

This is like saying 'Well, she didn't say I couldn't steal her cat, so it must be okay.' We are alive. If we weren't, we'd either be dead or not exist. Would you rather not exist? Fine, I'm sure that there are people who wouldn't mind helping you with that. I don't have the patience for this debate right now. Actually, I don't see as how there is anything to debate in this, period.

Sorry. I have no idea how we got onto this path of argument. Anyway, any posts actually relating to the topic?

No, and probably there won't be many updates for a while. I'll post if I do have updates, though, don't worry.

Sigh

Alright. Here's the drill. I'm going to work on Spacelane on the weekends from now on. I intend to finish enough to get a preliminary release out there, then we'll see.

I have some problems with spacelane, though. First of all, it's largely a testbed for ideas I had when I started working on it. It really has a lot of outdated work done on it, and it would take so much time to upgrade it and update it to my current skill level that I might as well start a new project and work from scratch.

Second of all, it's getting too big. I started reaching for more and more over time and I overreached myself.

So basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to me to update spacelane (after releasing something for you guys to mess around with, it would be fully playable and have some cool stuff going on), or if I should just take the stuff I've learned so far and start from scratch (aiming to make something smaller).

What do you think?

Keep what works, and trash some ideas that you haven't put much work into.

I think you should be able to choose for yourself, but I'll try and give you what I think I'd do if I were you.

I'd probably make a new project from scratch. I'd set myself with clear and modest goals. Definite limits and "style". And then I'd start chipping away at it whenever I feel like it. I'd keep track of everything in some text files and set some conventions for myself to make sure it doesn't get messy or worse. This is also a good thing to do if you don't work regularly on your project so you don't lose track of your ideas and goals, what you were doing, etc.

Oh wait, that's what I'm already doing :rolleyes:

Keep what works, and trash some ideas that you haven't put much work into.

I'd probably make a new project from scratch. I'd set myself with clear and modest goals. Definite limits and "style". And then I'd start chipping away at it whenever I feel like it. I'd keep track of everything in some text files and set some conventions for myself to make sure it doesn't get messy or worse. This is also a good thing to do if you don't work regularly on your project so you don't lose track of your ideas and goals, what you were doing, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll make a new project and start afresh, but I'll finish enough of my current project that people can have fun playing it.

I think you should be able to choose for yourself, but I'll try and give you what I think I'd do if I were you

I can choose for myself. I just wondered what other people thought.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 20 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

I'd say cut back the excess on the current project. If anyone were to poke around the Colosseum files after I released it, they'll see a few things here and there that I simply abandoned or cut, including cloaking devices, medium ships, and a few other things.

Heh. That's probably what this release will look like. It actually has a fair amount of stuff to do, though. Not a ton, but a fair amount.