I'm working on a total conversion

Qaanol, on Jan 13 2006, 10:25 AM, said:

Okay, I got it to work. Sort of. I had to import the stock main menu though. Including buttons and animations. I'm pretty sure the game was freeze on account of your TC not having animated sliding buttons.View Post

I have no idea what's going on there, although it might be a quirk of the MacOS 9 version of Nova. I'll re-register my OS9 copy of Nova (1.0.8) and test the plug there.

Until then, try adding this to your data files folder- it sets the slide-ins to use the same sprite as the tile animation. crosses fingers

Edwards

Attached File(s)

Everything in the main screen dialogue must have more than one frame, I found that out the hard way.

But you don't necessarily need to make multiple frames. For the random animation I used a single black pixel - tell the spin it's two frames and it doesn't care. You can even set the dimensions to 0x0.

Very cool. I love the menu screen. 🙂

Guy, on Jan 14 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

But you don't necessarily need to make multiple frames. For the random animation I used a single black pixel - tell the spin it's two frames and it doesn't care. You can even set the dimensions to 0x0.View Post

That seems a bit like tempting the compatibility gods, given that a safe one-pixel, two-frame Rlë8/D pair comes out as 96 bytes. A one-pixel, one-frame Rlë8/D pair comes out as 64 bytes. Yes, you would save 32 bytes, but even I'm not that desperate. Although I will give it a shot in Micro Data, just to offset the need for those three extra spins... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the MacOS 9 version of Nova, both 1.0.8 and 1.0.9, does indeed require that the button slide-in spďns (spďn RIDs 608, 609, and 610) be present for the game to run properly, and the spďns must reference multi-frame sprites. The quick plug I posted does fix the problem, and the next version of the full plug will include those spins (alas, another 36 bytes! 🙂 ).

@Qaanol: As I just realized that you may not be able to download that fix plug, all I did was copy spin 606 (main menu animation) and paste it as spins 608, 609, and 610.

I have no idea why the weapon sprites are not showing up for you. My best guess is a conflict between TCTC and the file you added to include the main screen. Are the stars appearing? They use the same sprite.

Edwards

Edwards, on Jan 14 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

That seems a bit like tempting the compatibility gods, given that a safe one-pixel, two-frame Rlë8/D pair comes out as 96 bytes. A one-pixel, one-frame Rlë8/D pair comes out as 64 bytes. Yes, you would save 32 bytes, but even I'm not that desperate. Although I will give it a shot in Micro Data, just to offset the need for those three extra spins... :rolleyes:
View Post

Heh, true, though actually I used a PICT which takes up more space. The advantage over rle though is that you can specify custom dimensions in the spin for a pict and Nova will scale it to that size. This means that you can actually point your spin to any other existing picts you have but set the dimensions to 0x0 and you don't have to bother about making any sprites for it at all. 🙂 This works on both OS 9 and X, I know that much.

Ahh, nice board change allows tags and smilies to be inserted in the middle of text.

This post has been edited by Guy : 15 January 2006 - 05:03 AM

hey did anyone make a pure windows version of this im afraid to do it and screw my computer up.... again

I'm a windows user(most of the time) and I played this. You just have to use the converter in the Nova folder on each thing in the TCTC folder. as long as you dont delete the original items you will be fine(besides if you mess something up you can always re-download Nova 😉 )

Qold Fusion For Teacup TC is complete. In it you will find a graphical and acoustic skin for Edwards' magnificent total conversion, Teacup TC, including thrusters for the ship, shield glows, a more detailed planet, slight changes to weapon shots and explosions, and the magnum opus—sound!

Note: This is now the updated version with the non-incompatible readme.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 29 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Awesome 🙂

Cool choice of names for your graphics plug there, (.

Qold Fusion made me feel like I was playing an ancient arcade game from the 80's. And I don't mean that negatively.

I heart. Mind you, something seems to have broken your readme - I get a whole lot of gibberish similar to what I get when I open an rtf file in NotePad, only I was opening it in Word.

@belthazar, on Jun 20 2006, 02:38 AM, said in I'm working on a total conversion:

I heart. Mind you, something seems to have broken your readme - I get a whole lot of gibberish similar to what I get when I open an rtf file in NotePad, only I was opening it in Word.

Hm. Works fine on my system -- Word 2004 running atop Mac OS X 10.4.5. Tell Qaanol what you're running, perhaps?

Word may not think of it as a rtf and attempts to open it as raw text; it works fine for me. Werd. Perhaps try to launch Word first, then only choose open... and specify rtf as the type before selecting the file, or just use WordPad.

Damn, I know what's your problem is now. The rtf ReadMe has been binned. Not a good thing. Qaanol, how did you package your plug?

I must've left DropZip's .bin encoding setting on "Always" instead of "Smart".

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 20 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

@zacha-pedro, on Jun 21 2006, 04:52 AM, said in I'm working on a total conversion:

Damn, I know what's your problem is now. The rtf ReadMe has been binned. Not a good thing.

Yah, I thought that might have been the problem. (Although for some reason, .binning only ever seems to be a problem with Qaanol's readmes - anyone else's readmes can handle being .binned, which can be fixed as easily as deleting the surplus file extension. Of course, that's probably Stuffit's MacBinary expansion, which while it can be a little over-zealous, it doesn't actually seem do anything to files which don't have a resource fork besides sticking .bin onto the name.)

Try dropping that into the plugin convertor. trys (Don't do this at home kids) It sends your computer into an infinite loop. Not very pleasant.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 20 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

@jacabyte, on Jun 21 2006, 07:24 AM, said in I'm working on a total conversion:

Try dropping that into the plugin convertor. trys (Don't do this at home kids) It sends your computer into an infinite loop. Not very pleasant.

I did try (especially knowing what's hidden in the readme in Q's Wacky Asteroids plugin). For me, however, it just crashed the convertor (which is what typically happens when a .bin of the wrong sort is put through the convertor).