NAEV

QUOTE (Dr. Trowel @ Mar 14 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dug around a bit in the "Mercurial" files online, and I think that perhaps the es_misn variable is failing to increment when it should.

I think so too, though I'm only a couple of days ahead of you with Lua. There's an issues tab on the google code page. Try posting there or to the mailing list. And what did you use to view the game file? My text editor doesn't like it.

Oh, and you should use the git repository to take a look at the code. Apparently the Mercurial repository is out of date.

Thanks for the git link -- I knew Mercurial was "deprecated," but thought it was all I could reach without installing software.

TextWrangler opens (pilot name).ns just fine.

QUOTE (Dr. Trowel @ Mar 14 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should it be possible to progress to missions beyond the generic Empire cargo runs? I've probably done at least a dozen.

I dug around a bit in the "Mercurial" files online, and I think that perhaps the es_misn variable is failing to increment when it should. Of course, I've never seen a lua file before, so I don't really know what I'm doing....

Not able to reproduce, but I'll look into it. See if you can get it to increment it at all. If not hack your save file and set it to 5 or so and it should allow you to get the more advanced missions. It's a bit strange though...

What OS and locales are you running?

EDIT: Oh and savegame files are just gzip compressed XML files. On linux you can read the file with "gzip -d - < your_pilot.ns | less".

This post has been edited by bobbens : 14 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (bobbens @ Mar 14 2009, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not able to reproduce, but I'll look into it. See if you can get it to increment it at all. If not hack your save file and set it to 5 or so and it should allow you to get the more advanced missions. It's a bit strange though...

What OS and locales are you running?

I've run the ES cargo runs several times, checking es_misn after each and seeing no change. Other items in the save file do change, so it isn't simply locked.

I'm running OS X 10.5.6. Locales? I had to look up that term. If what you want is the output of the UNIX "locale" command without modifiers, here's that:

LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

That's all there is. Haven't tried hacking the save file yet.

Okay, here's a suggestion. Generic cargo missions shouldn't send you to a planet in the same system as where you picked the mission up. You can make some safe cash by going back and forth between Polaris Prime and Emperor's Fist.

QUOTE (gray_shirt_ninja @ Mar 14 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, here's a suggestion. Generic cargo missions shouldn't send you to a planet in the same system as where you picked the mission up. You can make some safe cash by going back and forth between Polaris Prime and Emperor's Fist.

You can't make much that way, though: the mission reward is formula-based, and distance is a factor. I see now why some of the threads dreaming about EV4 have been overrun by people drooling for "scripting." This could be powerful stuff!

Since this thread is in the Dev's Corner, I'll go ahead and post the formula for the generic missions as an example:

CODE

reward = misn_dist * carg_mass * (250+rnd.int(150)) +
carg_mass * (150+rnd.int(75)) +
rnd.int(1500)

Initially, I wasn't actually surprised to find this topic here. There are a handful of projects that are attempting to re-image EV3 into a possible EV4. DoA, Xsera. A handful, but they're there none the less. They can't be ignored because of the features they'll offer, but by far, this project has more features that are more akin to an Escape Velocity game than any other clone I've ever heard about. I'll definitely look into ways to get this in a playable version on my computer. Somehow, even if I have to learn a little C sooner than I thought I would...

QUOTE (Dr. Trowel @ Mar 14 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've run the ES cargo runs several times, checking es_misn after each and seeing no change. Other items in the save file do change, so it isn't simply locked.

Yeah, looks pretty weird. I'll look into it, but I don't think it'll be easy to find.

QUOTE (gray_shirt_ninja @ Mar 15 2009, 03:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Done in trunk. Noticed it yesterday today while testing out some things.

Working on the documentation so if anyone wants to write missions it'll be easier. Enjoy.

EDIT: Worked ALL weekend on it, but here are the results: http://bobbens.dyndns.org/naev-lua/index.html . It's not entirely finished, but that's the documentation for all the Lua API (for missions). I'll try doing some more this week, but going to mainly work on an in-game console to help debug missions.

This post has been edited by bobbens : 15 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

Any windows version?

QUOTE (Coral @ Mar 22 2009, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any windows version?

No, sorry. Still looking for someone to take care of a windows port. Shouldn't be too hard, but I don't have any windows machines nor have really any idea of how one works on a windows machine.

QUOTE (bobbens @ Mar 22 2009, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, sorry. Still looking for someone to take care of a windows port. Shouldn't be too hard, but I don't have any windows machines nor have really any idea of how one works on a windows machine.

I could try, I suppose. I have programming books lying around and I could get Linux in order to do it. How would I go about doing it?

QUOTE (Coral @ Mar 22 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could try, I suppose. I have programming books lying around and I could get Linux in order to do it. How would I go about doing it?

Well you'd need to make a windows version of 3-4 functions in src/nfile.c and build it. The big issue is compiling it for windows. Once you get a patch to make it compile on windows you send it to me and I apply it. Of course it would still mean I need someone to compile it for windows every release.

The main issue really is having a windows compiling environment set up with the proper dependencies. From my little windows experience that's pretty hard. There's no need to have Linux at all to make it on windows.

If you need more specific help, you should try sending issues you're having to the mailing list or bug me on irc about it. I probably won't be able to help much, but I can try.

While we're on the subject of new versions, is there any chance that you will make a Universal version? Or is that not an option?

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Mar 22 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While we're on the subject of new versions, is there any chance that you will make a Universal version? Or is that not an option?

The issue is my lack of proper access to a PPC machine to test the big endian issues that someone reported on Linux. I'm also not the one doing the Mac OS X builds, so I don't really think I can answer that question. If someone who is somewhat knowledgy on Mac OS X PPC wants to give me a hand I'd love to help, but I don't see it happening spontaneously any time soon.

Ah, I see. Thank you, I was just curious.

QUOTE (bobbens @ Mar 22 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you'd need to make a windows version of 3-4 functions in src/nfile.c and build it. The big issue is compiling it for windows. Once you get a patch to make it compile on windows you send it to me and I apply it. Of course it would still mean I need someone to compile it for windows every release.

The main issue really is having a windows compiling environment set up with the proper dependencies. From my little windows experience that's pretty hard. There's no need to have Linux at all to make it on windows.

If you need more specific help, you should try sending issues you're having to the mailing list or bug me on irc about it. I probably won't be able to help much, but I can try.

:/. I'm sure this must be really simple, but knowing nothing about programming, I can't do it. If you have a moderately recent computer, you could legally get the Windows 7 Beta for free, and do it there maybe?

There are two "standard" compiling environments for Windows:
Full: http://www.cygwin.com/
Minimalist: http://www.mingw.org/

You can also install mingw32 on linux, it is available in universe on Ubuntu and probably Debian, and compile and then run in wine. I haven't actually done this myself, however.

Have made no progress :/.

QUOTE (Nonconventionally Creative @ Mar 22 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two "standard" compiling environments for Windows:
Full: http://www.cygwin.com/
Minimalist: http://www.mingw.org/

You can also install mingw32 on linux, it is available in universe on Ubuntu and probably Debian, and compile and then run in wine. I haven't actually done this myself, however.

I tried it once, was a PITA.

I have someone who's managed to compile NAEV on windows, but it blows up all over. Would like to get it working in 1-2 weeks ideally for the 0.3.8 release. We'll see though.

You want to avoid cygwin, because things compiled from inside cygwin act like they're in unix, and that means a user needs to install cygwin to run it.

MingW is not exactly ideal, but manageable. TDM-MinGW even has recent GCCs.

I don't have time to code myself but I'll be happy to be a compile and test monkey.