NAEV

If you can get a Windows version of this up and running, I'd be more than happy to be a tester. What I've seen so far looks very interesting, and I'll help out in anyway that I can as long as there's no coding involved. 🙂

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Mar 27 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can get a Windows version of this up and running, I'd be more than happy to be a tester. What I've seen so far looks very interesting, and I'll help out in anyway that I can as long as there's no coding involved. 🙂

Well you're in luck. Windows build is working, needs a small patch to compile. Expect to see it for 0.3.8 either this friday or next. (Not april fool's).

QUOTE (bobbens)

The issue is my lack of proper access to a PPC machine to test the big endian issues that someone reported on Linux.

If you're referring to my post up the page, let me clarify: There seem to be NO endianness issues. The game compiles and works (seemingly) fine, the only problem is that it requires OpenGL, which doesn't work for nvidia cards on PowerPC Linux.

QUOTE (Clueless @ Apr 4 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're referring to my post up the page, let me clarify: There seem to be NO endianness issues. The game compiles and works (seemingly) fine, the only problem is that it requires OpenGL, which doesn't work for nvidia cards on PowerPC Linux.

Really? I was referring to what someone else said on IRC. It's a shame you don't have OpenGL though. If you have the patience try to play a wee bit (just land on the planet and take off) to see if it really works OK.

QUOTE (bobbens)

Really? I was referring to what someone else said on IRC. It's a shame you don't have OpenGL though. If you have the patience try to play a wee bit (just land on the planet and take off) to see if it really works OK.

Did all that, works fine. It's just that it does it like viewed through blue glasses and at 80% CPU, like all software-rastered OpenGL things on ppc linux.

QUOTE (Clueless @ Apr 5 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did all that, works fine. It's just that it does it like viewed through blue glasses and at 80% CPU, like all software-rastered OpenGL things on ppc linux.

That's sweet! I was surprised at the possibility of there being endian issues because in theory I've taken much care with that. I wonder if I could get my Mac OS X compiler to try to do a universal binary, should work also then.

On a side note for all you windows users. NAEV 0.3.8 is scheduled for this friday 20th, it will have Linux (x86_32 and x86_64), Mac OS X (intel or hopefully universal) and Windows builds. This should give a chance for all of you to try it if you haven't. Release is going to be pretty cool if I do say so myself, it adds a lot of content and UI improvements (not to mention the bug fixes).

Good sir, could I get some Recommended System Specifications?

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 6 2009, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good sir, could I get some Recommended System Specifications?

It should run perfectly with something like:

800 MHz CPU
256 MiB free RAM
OpenGL 1.2 or later
100 MiB free disk space
Sound Card

Ideally you double all the above and use a big resolution, but it's not that slow (would be much faster if it wasn't for the nebulae graphics). People have gotten it working fine on the EEE PC, so unless you have a pre-2000 computer it should be fine.

Damn, I so want to play this release, been looking forward to it all week.

I can't even run it on my macbook pro with a 2 ghz intel core duo processor and 2 gb memory and an ATI Radon X1600 128 mb graphics card. It won't even start and I have followed the directions precisely. Any suggestions?

QUOTE (bobbens @ Apr 6 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

800 MHz CPU
256 MiB free RAM
OpenGL 1.2 or later
100 MiB free disk space
Sound Card
...unless you have a pre-2000 computer it should be fine.

Indeed, I'm running it on a computer with ~500MHz cpu, integrated graphics, and 256 MiB RAM (often with much less free at any one time). It's playable in every system except those in the nebula. There's way to work around those I can help you with. My box is an ~8-year-old Sony Vaio.

Edit: @ Oryhara, I don't think the Mac build is ready for 0.3.8 yet.

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 10 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Bubbles @ Apr 10 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edit: @ Oryhara, I don't think the Mac build is ready for 0.3.8 yet.

I downloaded 3.7 on the mac. 😞
I also tried downloading 3.8 onto the ubuntu partition of my macbook, but it could not use the .bin files.

QUOTE (oryhara @ Apr 10 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also tried downloading 3.8 onto the ubuntu partition of my macbook, but it could not use the .bin files.

In principle running it on any flavor of Linux should work. Did you d/l all the dependencies? You have to go into synaptic and make sure all of the appropriate packages are checked and installed. You can find the list of dependencies here: http://code.google.com/p/naev/#Dependencies

What happens when you try to run NAEV?

You can get more responsive help on the naev IRC channel. We're on Freenode #naev

QUOTE (oryhara @ Apr 10 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mac OS X porter is missing in action, when he gets back it'll be created hopefully. The 0.3.8 release is nota release to be missed :).

And yes, NAEV 0.3.8 is officially release, a windows binary should be out very soon.

QUOTE (Bubbles @ Apr 10 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In principle running it on any flavor of Linux should work. Did you d/l all the dependencies? You have to go into synaptic and make sure all of the appropriate packages are checked and installed. You can find the list of dependencies here: http://code.google.com/p/naev/#Dependencies

What happens when you try to run NAEV?

You can get more responsive help on the naev IRC channel. We're on Freenode #naev

Absolutely nothing happens. I am not good with the linux OS and my brother, who installed the partition, is not here. Thanks for trying, though.

Edit: I figured out that it won't work on my Mac because the Mac OS is Tiger (10.4.11) not Leopard (10.5<), and on Ubuntu Linux it would not work because I did not have the permission to execute NAEV, so I just had to change the permissions with the chmod command to be able to use it.

This post has been edited by oryhara : 22 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

I see there's a Windows binary in the downloads page... 😄

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Apr 10 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see there's a Windows binary in the downloads page... 😄

Yup, also just uploaded an installer which should handle things for you to make it easier :).

QUOTE (oryhara @ Apr 10 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely nothing happens. I am not good with the linux OS and my brother, who installed the partition, is not here. Thanks for trying, though.

orihara: I'm sure I could walk you through the installation process, if you like. It's a cool game. Although it's still in development, it's a more advanced version of EV. There are new missions coming out weekly, and it's a blast to develop for. The development team is small right now, but active and very friendly.

I'm going to try to get the Ambrosia Live Chat working in my browser. Meanwhile, you can ask questions directly on the google group (which is also a mailing list), or on the IRC channel. There are several IRC clients for Macs, if you don't already have one. Ircle is popular, and Colloquy is one I used to use.

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 10 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Man, it looks great on a 1440x900 widescreen monitor. 😄 It needs some polishing for sure, e.g. the keyboard bindings menu, the dialog boxes, the side bar, but other than that I like what I'm seeing.

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Apr 10 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, it looks great on a 1440x900 widescreen monitor. 😄 It needs some polishing for sure, e.g. the keyboard bindings menu, the dialog boxes, the side bar, but other than that I like what I'm seeing.

Glad you like it! There's definitely a long list of todos (and that's just for the 4.x series), but it's a lot of fun already. The mission scripting system is very exciting.

You can change the key bindings by editing the config file in the hidden .naev folder on Mac and Linux. Obviously, an in game way to change them is on bobbens' to do list. In that file, you can also make NAEV go full screen.