Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...

[What is odd about this picture?]

How to change the size of the window that Mac Nova uses when running in windowed mode:

1. Duplicate the EV Nova executable as a backup. For Nova 1.1 the executable is located inside the application bundle: Right-click on the app, choose "Show Package Contents" then navigate to Contents/MacOS.

2. Open the executable in 0xED.

3. Make sure you are in the right endian mode for your architecture: Double-click the word Endian at the bottom of the window to toggle between Big (PPC) and Little (Intel). Also make sure you are in Hex mode: If it says Dec down the bottom, double-click it to toggle to Hex.

4. Copy the offset from the table below for the value you wish to change then paste it into the Go To Offset field in the toolbar and hit return. A single character should be highlighted in the hex editing area.

5. Select the 4 hex characters from the highlighted character onwards. They should match the default value shown in the table.

6. In the lower pane, the value for "16 bit signed" should now show 832 for width or 604 for height. Double-click on the value to edit it and enter in a new value, such as 1024 for width or 768 for height. Press return to validate your input.

7. Save when done then run EV Nova to see your new window size 🙂

Function Offset (Hex) Default Value (Hex)
    1.0.10 Width 22C42E 0340 (big-endian)
    1.0.10 Height 22C432 025C (big-endian)
    1.1.1 PPC Width 1405AA 0340 (big-endian)
    1.1.1 PPC Height 1405AE 025C (big-endian)
    1.1.1 Intel Width 01B4C7 4003 (little-endian)
    1.1.1 Intel Height 01B4BF 5C02 (little-endian)

This post has been edited by Guy : 15 April 2015 - 04:17 AM

Hmm the bracket for HG-Tichel is a bit far away from its location, though that might be because you took the screenshot at the precise moment you selected it. Also, that's a bit many Vipers, though I guess there is a reasonable explanation for that.

One of the three Fed Carriers has no radar blip, though that's probably just because the ships are overlapping.

Also, there's a school of trout hiding behind Spacedock II.

@dr--trowel, on Mar 16 2007, 06:36 PM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

One of the three Fed Carriers has no radar blip, though that's probably just because the ships are overlapping.

Also, there's a school of trout hiding behind Spacedock II.

Hahaha.

I don't think trout swin in schools though...

I'm stumped on this.

Well if trout don't school, then that's just part of the oddity of it!

Edit: ....And I seem to have mis-counted before; all three Fed Carriers do have dots.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 16 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

Nothing wrong with the Pirate Vipers. He has 12 launchers and four in bay. The stock Pirate Carrier comes with four bays, so that means up to 16 fighters.

As mentioned above, the HG-Tichel target blip is a bit far out.

On the radar, there is an additional yellow blip...or is it just a ship's blip flashing?

The players free cargo space is 52, though that could just be the result of retools and such.

I want to say the Pirate interface looks different. Though its been a long time since I've looked at it.

The interface looks normal to me. The one blue bracket floating around is a bit odd...

I only see one bracket for the planet, where's the other three? I don't think any ship sprites can overlap them as you can tell, the bracket for the ship is overlapping the player's ship.

The minimap looks like it's zoomed out farther than usual, although I haven't played Nova in a while.

52 tons of cargo space? I don't think any combination of retools and expansions can get you that number. :huh:

If you start with 100 tons of cargo space and do 4 retools you get 52. Seems reasonable to me.

The numbers in the interface look a little odd and the bracket is off. Everything else looks as it should be unless the system has been changed around with components from other systems? :laugh:

It could be that he's playing in a window at 1024x768, but I don't know for certain that it's fixed at 800x600.

Edwards

Is the answer "nothing"?

Edwards gets the prize! The normal mac windowed resolution is 832x604.
Dr. Trowel was close though - there's actually a school of red herrings hiding behind Spacedock II.

This post has been edited by Guy : 18 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

Heh, the worst thing is, I did notice the fact the screenshot was around 1024x768 (and that it did not seem resized), but I failed to remember that you cannot choose the windowed resolution with Nova. Guess SF4kA spoiled me

Now, the next question anyone normal asks is: how did you do it?

I'd guess it's controlled by some resource in the EV Nova file. I just searched with Rezilla, though, and didn't find anything that looked likely. Of course, I could have missed it....

Isn't there a DITL or something for the main Nova window? I guess you could replace that and distribute in a plugin.

@guy, on Mar 18 2007, 01:05 AM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

Edwards gets the prize! The normal mac windowed resolution is 832x604.
Dr. Trowel was close though - there's actually a school of red herrings hiding behind Spacedock II.

Man, that's tiny when you run it in a window.

@prophile, on Mar 19 2007, 02:50 AM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

Isn't there a DITL or something for the main Nova window? I guess you could replace that and distribute in a plugin.

This would hardly be interesting if it was that simple ;). I've edited the first post to show the method.

Oh and regarding the target bracket, what do you think happens when you hit cmd+shift+3 when in the Tichel system?

This post has been edited by Guy : 18 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

nice job, on the hex editing.

just wondering if you know if it's possible to do the same with the resolution? i'm wanting to keep my mac at millions of colors, when launching and playing EVN and i haven't a clue, when it comes to hex editing.