Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...

...Do they work on AI ships?

So, I am making a small plug for my private use, and I came with a problem.

Does Lethal- and Nonlethal bombs work on AI ships?

Eg. I attack carrier, it launches fighters, fighters have outfit that is Lethal bomb.
Do AI fighters explode when having an outfit that is a Lethal bomb?

@jouman, on Jul 16 2008, 07:50 AM, said in Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...:

So, I am making a small plug for my private use, and I came with a problem.

Does Lethal- and Nonlethal bombs work on AI ships?

Eg. I attack carrier, it launches fighters, fighters have outfit that is Lethal bomb.
Do AI fighters explode when having an outfit that is a Lethal bomb?

Maybe you have it set so that the users can't kill themselves. That's my only suggestion; recheck the weap/outf settings.

I'm pretty doubtful that they use those.

You can you the ammo type that destroys ship when fired (-999)

@nonconventionally-creative, on Jul 16 2008, 09:26 AM, said in Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...:

You can you the ammo type that destroys ship when fired (-999)

So it's possible to create kamikaze ships? I do remember seeing a plug-in called "Khamikazi Viper", or something along the lines of that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that! Is there a way to make Khamikazi ships?

@eirikr, on Jul 16 2008, 09:45 AM, said in Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...:

Yeah, I was wondering about that! Is there a way to make Khamikazi ships?

Well, judging by Nonconventially Creative's comment about setting ammo types to -999, which destroys the ship, that could be possible.

Cool. I have to try that.

This may have changed, but when I experimented with AmmoType -999 (back when it first appeared), I found that AI ships wouldn't ever use the weapon.

I still don't think I understand. Would you make a bay and fighters? Then how do you set ammo type?

You'd make a weapon that launched fighters and give it X ammo (X being the number of fighters a bay can hold) since AI ships can't use outfits with the exception of a strict few. Then you'd give the fighters linked to in the fighter-launching weapon a weapon that would make the fighters self-destruct when fired. (Done by setting the ammotype in the weap resource to -999 in the more robust EVNEW, done by selecting an option from a drop-down menu in MC 4.)

DA said that using ammo type -999 wouldn't work for the AI, but maybe that has changed since he first experimented with it?

OK thanks!
I'll try that if I get around to it.

I was going to use -999 to make a Laser Missile for Colosseum, essentially a missile that flies up to its target, shoots a laser a bunch of times rapidly, and then explodes. I gave up on it when I realized that you could have the missiles fly in formation and be recalled to your launcher...

Haha ok I got a laugh out of that one.

But still, that might not be a bad idea. Have a fighter that shoots burst of lasers but is very very vulnerable. (low sheilds and armor) then make it so you can have about 25 in one bay. Also make them fairly cheap. Not really cheap but less than a normal fighter.

So basically you have a bunch of small fighters that can swoop in and hit an enemy a couple times before being shot down with one blaster shot or something like that. Expendable but useful.... sorta.

I was trying to make a "smart" missile, basically a fighter. You deployed as many as you wanted, and they would hover by your ship until you told them to attack. Then they would deploy the actual missile with ammo set so it blows itself up, but it didn't work, because for some strange reason, the ships would just be disabled, not destroyed, so you had a whole bunch of these useless things floating around.

You could have it sub into a weapon with a big enough blast area to destroy the fighter with its own weapon, I suppose... Or even make the fighters planet type ships and then make the weapon destroy planet type fighters.

@joshtigerheart, on Jul 18 2008, 04:03 AM, said in Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...:

I was going to use -999 to make a Laser Missile for Colosseum, essentially a missile that flies up to its target, shoots a laser a bunch of times rapidly, and then explodes. I gave up on it when I realized that you could have the missiles fly in formation and be recalled to your launcher...

My hypothetical solution to this is to make a second fighter which is able to launch the first fighter but self destructs when doing so. When you order the attack the parent fighter will change into the real fighter which is not in your control but will still attack the target.

@guy, on Jul 17 2008, 02:44 PM, said in Small question about lethal and Non lethal bombs...:

My hypothetical solution to this is to make a second fighter which is able to launch the first fighter but self destructs when doing so. When you order the attack the parent fighter will change into the real fighter which is not in your control but will still attack the target.

This is the solution that I was thinking of. However, I recall some problems arising with these "second-generation" fighters. They take on only some of the traits of their parents, the ones that the player had control of, and otherwise act feral. I don't know if they would attack the player's target.

Werhner

Wouldn't that require the fighter bay to have two ammo types?

What? No. Which fighter bay? Your ship has a bay which launches the 'parent' fighter and that ship has a bay which launches the 'real' fighter.