~ A P O P H I S ~

##%$@&%!!!!!!!

right, now that I got that over with. apparently SpinApp won't recognize PNGs or GIFs, and I didn't find this out until after I rendered the Sprite and the Mask and the engine glow and the running lights! and I didn't save the changes that are necessary to successfully render the running lights and engine glow, so on those I will have to start over on those.

sigh I would Have to say I am moderately vexed. <_<

on the other hand I successfully UV mapped the Daemon. it looks pretty much the same, but at least now the texture rotates with the ship 😉

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 25 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

Why would you need to start over? Just do a batch conversion. Personally, I have found the Rad Video Tools (Windows only) to be very useful for various kinds of conversion, but I'm sure there are many others.

ok, whenever I put any pictures in to SpinApp, the result is this
Posted Image

what does it mean? has anyone else had this problem?

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 25 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

SpinApp takes JPG, I think

that was with Jpeg. It was accepting them earlier, but it just suddenly stopped accepting any format at all.

Never use JPEG.

@pipeline, on Jun 26 2008, 12:22 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Never use JPEG.

I know. you told me to use the other format it says SpinApp will accept, so I did, and it would not recognize either. so I went back to using Jpeg, because it was the only thing that worked, but now it won't work.

...don't use SpinApp?

Man, I don't know. All I know is that JPEG is bloody useless for sprites -- as a lossy compression format, you lose data and add artifacting that Nova's RLE decoder has a really hard time with.

Can you use the old w00tTools sprite tools, like p2s?

I had never heard of them, But I will give them a try.

also, another ship based off the images. the Aegis Series Destroyer.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have names for them now, but I am going to update the first post with the new graphics. along with the site. I will post the names there.

Don't forget the cables that connect the cockpit to the ring. 😉 It'll lend it more support.

Also, if you want the ring to flip upwards when you're firing the weapons, set the flag "Unfold when firing weapons" in the shän resource for a ship with a ring. There isn't an option to have the ring become animated when you land on a planet.

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 26 2008, 07:38 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Don't forget the cables that connect the cockpit to the ring. 😉 It'll lend it more support.

Also, if you want the ring to flip upwards when you're firing the weapons, set the flag "Unfold when firing weapons" in the shän resource for a ship with a ring. There isn't an option to have the ring become animated when you land on a planet.

oops! I completely forgot to add the cables! hahaha. my bad.

also, the ring does not unfold when Firing, and I think I will only have the ring unfold when the ship is entering hyperspace.

@yamfries, on Jun 26 2008, 05:08 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

also, the ring does not unfold when Firing, and I think I will only have the ring unfold when the ship is entering hyperspace.

Hmm... perhaps you should do "Extra frames are folding wings". While your ring isn't exactly a wing, by initiating a hyperspace jump, Nova may use that flag to make the wing flip upwards. Probably adding the "Stop animation when disabled" flag would be a good idea.

Announcment:

I am going to be using the Terragen 2 to make all of the planet pictures for this TC, or at least the Tech preview.

updated Aegis
Posted Image

There we go. Looking a-more sturdy now. 🙂

I personally use the w00tware tools, and find them much more useful than SpinApp. Recommended. I lso really like these new sprites.

well I found the tools by w00tware on the EVN addons page, but when I downloaded it it opened as a word file. do i just not have the right version of stuffit?

@yamfries, on Jun 27 2008, 10:13 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

well I found the tools by w00tware on the EVN addons page, but when I downloaded it it opened as a word file. do i just not have the right version of stuffit?

Try The Unarchiver.

@david-arthur, on Jun 27 2008, 11:50 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Try The Unarchiver.

thanks, but now it is giving me the "sprite does not divide evenly into the grid" message with the sprites it's making....

That would explain it. You need to have an even grid of sprites in order for this to work. In other words, if you have a 2 x 2 grid, you need to have 4 pics and 4 masks. If you have a 3 x 3 grid, you need 9 pics and 9 masks. And so on.

If you have, let's say, a 6 x 6 grid, you'll need 36 of both. If you have, say, 37 or 35, it won't work.

What grid shape are you shooting for?

Off the top of my head, I think the w00tTools are smart enough to also handle banking sprites/unfolding sprites, but you need to choose "manual layout". You can then specify how many rows (Nx) and how many columns (Ny) of sprites you have. So, for example, let's say I was making a banking sprite of size 6 x 6. I'll need flat, left and right banking, so I specify that my grid will be Nx of 6 and Ny of 6 x 3, or 18.

Does that make sense...?

By the way, you'll need to store your spites and masks in separate folders, and do each one at a time. Then use some other tool to put them into the resource file for processing in shän.