~ A P O P H I S ~

@yamfries, on Mar 1 2008, 09:32 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

I made a picture for the Governor Class Cruiser's Today.

What do you think? It is the first one I have made in awhile.

Pretty good, Yoda. You are a great designer on this kind of stuff.

Would the planet, by any chance, be from LunarCell? If so, I believe you have to design it in whatever program you're using, as it does not have a nice appearance.

Other than that, the cruiser is great.

@king_of_manticores, on Mar 1 2008, 07:16 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Pretty good, Yoda. You are a great designer on this kind of stuff.

Would the planet, by any chance, be from LunarCell? If so, I believe you have to design it in whatever program you're using, as it does not have a nice appearance.

Other than that, the cruiser is great.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. it IS Lunarcell, and it was all put together in Photoshop.

Now that I look back at it more closely, it DOES have a strange appearance, but that might just be the design of the planet. (it is not my best. <_< )

@yamfries, on Mar 1 2008, 05:28 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

I am not sure exactly what you mean. it IS Lunarcell, and it was all put together in Photoshop.

Now that I look back at it more closely, it DOES have a strange appearance, but that might just be the design of the planet. (it is not my best. <_< )

I meant if the planet was made in LunarCell. If it was, then I meant for you to use Photoshop (I did not know what you were using) to create the planet.

The reason is because LunarCell seems best when you use it for planets in EV Nova. If you use LunarCell for for a 640x400 full ship picture, you'll notice much of the land does not bulge, and it looks very flat.

Hopefully this comment can be understood.

so lunarcell is best when the planet is small?

@yamfries, on Mar 2 2008, 05:58 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

so lunarcell is best when the planet is small?

No, LunarCell works well only if you are making planet rlëDs for EV Nova. It doesn't work well with your full ship pictures.

hmmmm. well, I have made some good planets in full sized ship pictures before. tis is not one of my best ones.

I like it. It's pretty good work in my opinion, yoda. A better planet than I can make.

Lunarcell just doesn't make the greatest planets. The easiest way to get a reasonable planet is to spherize a texture twice and give it a shadow and atmosphere. It's relatively easy to make continents and the like, as well, but that does require slightly more work.

I do like the general design for the ships (they need textured, but otherwise they're very cool), but I don't think lunarcell is very good at all. I'd also tone down the lens flare a bit, if I were you.

The only other thing I see is that the ships are not lit as if from the sun, which is obviously the primary light source. I actually like the direction they are lit from, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the image. It might work best to remove the lens flare altogether, since it draws away from the ships and the general composition as it is.

ok. I will try that, and also make a different planet. (the only way I can change anything at this point is start over, although I don't need to redo the ships and starscape. I saved those)

this weekend I will be able to make some progress, as I will have some more free time. I really have not made any this week, as I have been in a play and it has been taking up 100% of my time. :blink:

Play Is finally over, so i can get to work again!

I have started creating a website with freewebs, and I will have that up by the end of the week.

ok, the site is finished! check it out!

~ A P O P H I S ~

@yamfries, on Mar 27 2008, 06:49 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

ok, the site is finished! check it out!

~ A P O P H I S ~

Good job setting up the site. I have a request though. These are some of your ship names:

@yamfries, on Feb 12 2008, 10:39 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Heron Class Heavy Transport
Raptor Class Heavy Fighter

APOPHIS Freewebs Site said:

Jupiter Class Mass Transit
Governor Class Cruiser

Could you please not include the word 'Class' over and over again? I've kind of had enough of that when I played Polycon, along with the overuse of the word 'Cruiser', or 'Fighter', and the like. It would be okay if you used the word 'Class' once in a while, but other words that could be used instead is 'Type', or 'Series', or 'Version', or 'Edition', etc.

Nice site Yoda.

thank you!

also, coming up with names for ships is NOT my strong point. non of those ship names are final, and I would appreciate any ideas you have. but I hear you. I will remove "Class" in from them and put something else.

@yamfries, on Mar 30 2008, 04:51 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

also, coming up with names for ships is NOT my strong point. non of those ship names are final, and I would appreciate any ideas you have. but I hear you. I will remove "Class" in from them and put something else.

While the overuse of the word 'Class' is bad, I think that if you just have the Jupiter Mass Transit have the word 'Class' in it, then that's fine. Maybe you could reword the Heron's name to "Heavy Transport Heron Edition" and have a few other Heavy Transports.

Actually, I'd probably help you, but if I give an idea and find the name for a ship awesome, it's more than likely that I will want the name for my own ships. 😛 I'll try to think of names that I wouldn't keep.

But just using random synonyms for class is probably going to look weird.

It would make sense that there would be some kind of consistency or method when using Class, Edition, Series, etc.
Perhaps different factions use different words, perhaps different words were used in different years.

This corporation uses Edition, that government uses Class. Back in the 2140s they used Type.

@desprez, on Mar 31 2008, 12:25 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

But just using random synonyms for class is probably going to look weird.

It would make sense that there would be some kind of consistency or method when using Class, Edition, Series, etc.
Perhaps different factions use different words, perhaps different words were used in different years.

This corporation uses Edition, that government uses Class. Back in the 2140s they used Type.

that makes sense. However, alot of my ships don't even have names yet. in the Last Strain, each ship will have a long name (aka- 1143-05 series A DarkMage Star Fighter) and a short name. (aka- DarkMage) the only place the long name will be used is in the shipyard, really.

also, king of manticores, thanks. ship names will come in handy.

PS- why have all the emoticons become bird-things? :rolleyes: <_< :rolleyes:

An off topic response to Yoda's off topic question: the reason they became parrots is because it is part of Hector's plan to take over the world! (and likely beyond) Bow before the visage of your master!

And now back to your regularly scheduled on topic posting.

I am just getting on to say that THIS PROJECT IS NOT DEAD!!!! I have just been busy with schoolwork, yard work, some family problems, and a particularly nasty enraged lobster.

also, a lot of the thins you may see in other sections of this board are for this project. (AKA the darkmage) and I am still finding time to improve my modeling skills, (despite the lobster) which I think will be useful in the long run.

Cheers!

Yoda.

(PS: does anybody have a crowbar? the bloody things got my leg)

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 23 April 2008 - 09:18 PM