~ A P O P H I S ~

sorry, pipeline. I was being unnecessarily sarcastic, but I have every intention of following your advice in the future.

also, King Of Manticores is right. this is an opportunity to remake my ships much better than they were before. I am going to make my ships a little different than they were before, also. I have learned a lot sense I made the old ships, and I plan on putting that knowledge to good use.

also, the only thing I lost is the ships. I still have everything else. (apophis related)

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 29 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thank heavens for that, then. As long as the 3D models are all that went, you should be okay.

Did you have the textures stored separately?

@pipeline, on May 29 2008, 07:50 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Thank heavens for that, then. As long as the 3D models are all that went, you should be okay.

Did you have the textures stored separately?

I didn't have textures at all. when I made the models, I didn't know how to texture, and I was planning on going through and texturing everything, but I never got around to it.

rest assured, however. the new models WILL be fully textured.

Right. That gives me enough time to get my proposed texturing tutorial together. Wonderful! 🙂

Ohh, that would be awesome! That's the one aspect of ship modeling that I'm totally clueless about.

Hooray!

Now that is something I'd be very interested in seeing. Did you UV map the Nova models? I assume that you did, but anyway.

In general, no. The UV mapping tools available to us in Lightwave 6.5 were quite primitive, and our models were made without UVs being generated as a part of the modelling process.

This basically meant that it was far quicker for us to use traditional applications of textures around axes or on planes, and then scale, skew and rotate to fit.

Wow. That's crazy. I always assumed you'd UV mapped them.

UV mapping was new and high-end when we started work, and we weren't very good at that stage. Well, I wasn't, and I was the one doing ship models.

good news! my dad has fixed my computer! hooray!!!!!

he still needs to do a bit of tweaking, but is is working. I still lost the information, but I will be able to resume work soon.

hooray!!!! 😄

btw, 700 posts!

Well done, sir! Now, do go out and get a cheap USB thumbdrive, and back up that info!

@pipeline, on May 31 2008, 07:34 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Well done, sir! Now, do go out and get a cheap USB thumbdrive, and back up that info!

actually, I was planning on using my old iMac, which is still in fine condition, and completely empty. I never use it now, so I am going to back up my information on it.

I will also back it up somewhere else, too. (EG: a thumbdrive)

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 31 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Solid state drives are more durable in that they have no moving parts. Of course, they still pale in comparison to tape backup.

Which pales in comparison to chipping stuff in stone for durability. Old tech is more durable then new.

Goes off to find tape drive

Tape's really not that good. A tape wears out after a few plays/records.

No media is truly safe, but a good quality CD/DVD stored in out of sunlight in a cool place (between 5-25 degrees centigrade) is as good as anything.

@templar98921, on Jun 1 2008, 02:21 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Which pales in comparison to chipping stuff in stone for durability. Old tech is more durable then new.

Goes off to find tape drive

he's right. I carve my information on a stone pillar, out of the wind and rain, it's still be there 4,000 years later.

not if i use a jackhammer on it. 😄

Nah, you have to mould it in concrete and bury it.

@yamfries, on Jun 1 2008, 06:13 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

he's right. I carve my information on a stone pillar, out of the wind and rain, it's still be there 4,000 years later.

I would probably take it and stick it in a furnace, where all the data would melt. :laugh: Nah, just kidding.

Good idea, pipeline. I don't have much music on my iPod, however, so would you recommend placing data on that?