New Ship... Good or no?

New 3D model

all-right, i made this ship quite recently, and I was wondering about your opinion. I am NOT going to release even if its popular, if you want i can send you a .obj so you can do the work yourself... but i just want an opinion, rating(out of ten?), or something. Posted Image

This post has been edited by guysullavin : 30 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

It looks... Similar to an A-wing from Starwars combined with a fed viper... and maybe a y-wing? I don't know how I'd go about grading it but I can say that the cockpit and the weird (almost bent looking) edges need a little work. It is much better then I have done though so good job =p

Your mesh needs cleanup. There are many weird polygon errors in the model, especially in the parts connecting the engines to the body. The design could be nice, but right now all the errors stand out instead.
You should always try to have a nice clean mesh when you model, do not be afraid to delete some parts and remake them if you think you made a mess.

@guysullavin, on May 30 2008, 04:46 PM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

all-right, i made this ship quite recently, and I was wondering about your opinion. I am NOT going to release even if its popular, if you want i can send you a .obj so you can do the work yourself... but i just want an opinion, rating(out of ten?), or something.

I can't use computer designing equipment, but still, I give it a 7. The ship, overall, looks fine, but when the fighter curves, the polygons look very strange, and the fighter has a damaged look at the sides. You should try smoothing it out a little more, and maybe it'll be much better.

or it could be an old fighter. 😉

it doesent really have a title, so technically it could be the size of a planet for all we know 😉

I can't use computer designing equipment, but still, I give it a 7. The ship, overall, looks fine, but when the fighter curves, the polygons look very strange, and the fighter has a damaged look at the sides. You should try smoothing it out a little more, and maybe it'll be much better.

yea.. about the smoothing... my comps a POS and i can do any more than a level 2 subsurf (Smoothing), hopefully in a few years i will get a new one and will be able to do better smoothing

This post has been edited by guysullavin : 30 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

In answer to the title: no.

@dr-neverhood, on May 30 2008, 11:44 PM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

In answer to the title: no.

makes me laugh. :laugh:

@of-doom, on May 30 2008, 11:58 PM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

makes me laugh. :laugh:

makes me sad 😞

@guysullavin, on May 30 2008, 09:01 PM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

makes me sad 😞

This is your first one, right? If it is, consider it a big step for a new designer like you. No artist on these boards got their ship perfectly for the first time. With repeated practice, you'll soon get it.

Thanks, I want to make another but my imagination is dead 😛
EDIT: I got an idea, and I made this in about 30-45 mins
Posted Image

This post has been edited by guysullavin : 31 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Try using something other than sub-patching. Get to grips with making a good ship with the traditional polygon tools first.

and i wasnt laughing at your model i was laughing at what dr neverhood said.
dont be to down on yourself my first attemp looked something like this. :laugh:

Attached File(s)

lmao, ok, just misunderstood

I think it's pretty good, but you do need to start over. Start by making a basic polygon wire frame, then start hitting the details and smoothing. Looks like smoothing messed it up somehow. I will say that you need more detail. Right now it's just a base.

@of-doom, on May 31 2008, 03:21 PM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

and i wasnt laughing at your model i was laughing at what dr neverhood said.
dont be to down on yourself my first attemp looked something like this. :laugh:

Aahahahahaa :laugh:

:laugh: HAHAHA :laugh:

Wonderful! 😄

@phlogios, on Jun 9 2008, 04:20 AM, said in New Ship... Good or no?:

Aahahahahaa :laugh:

:laugh: HAHAHA :laugh:
Wonderful! 😄

are you OK?

This post has been edited by of doom : 09 June 2008 - 07:19 PM