Escape Velocity: Collision

Ummyeah. When exactly did this become the 'debate the importance of EV in life' topic...?

Well, regardless, I'd have to say that, for me, this is the #1 most important game, but still just a game, which bumps it down to about #5 - #8. Still, the EV developer team should be flattered. That's pretty high for just a game. And coming from someone with a life.

And, as far as I can see, Josh is the only 'vet' who responded. Unless being around for a year makes you a 'vet', in which case psycho counts, too. But I don't see how me and geek (six months and three months, respectively) can be considered 'veterans'. Unless Josh and/or Geek and/or Psycho are veterinarians. Or VFWs. In which case that would make more sense.

This post has been edited by Starbridge21 : 10 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Not saying Nova doesn't matter. Otherwise I wouldn't be developing for it. But don't let it dominate every spare moment of your free time. Playing or developing, back off of it every so often and go play something else or work on another project. Otherwise you'll get bored of playing or you'll get sick of working on your project. I doubt any completed TC didn't have periods where the person/people working on it would take long breaks from it. There's been times where I didn't even think about Colosseum for weeks, let alone work on it. Instead, I've worked on it in several day bursts, and then backed off of it for awhile so I wouldn't get tired of it and perhaps draw inspiration from other sources (which I frequently would).

Look, I don't mean that I don't take any breaks from EV. I have work to do. I haven't worked on plugs for a couple days, and actually I very rarely play the game except for testing plugs. I mean that I spend at least about an hour thinking about it every day. Just thinking of ideas if I can, maybe make a graphic or two. Graphics go quick in sketchup. But seriously, there isn't really that much else in my life that I devote that much time to of my choice.

EDIT:
Oh, and for the vet thing, I did mean veteran, and I count a veteran as anyone who has 100+ posts. That number will go up once I get there, as I never count myself a veteran in anything. One of the quirks I have.

This post has been edited by 101181920 : 11 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

100+ posts? Dude, it's not the post count, it's the join date 😄

EVN = game. Good game, but a game nonetheless. Like all other games, you can get bored of it, as I have in the past, but the one BIGGEST thing about EVN that makes it awesome, is, unlike some other games, you can put it down for a week, or a month, or a year, and you can come back and play it and still think it's awesome.

Don't set aside an hour every day to think about EVN or your project. You'll burn out. Trust me, I speak from experience.

@zapp, on Oct 11 2007, 06:19 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

100+ posts? Dude, it's not the post count, it's the join date 😄 e.

Seconded by the n00b with a thousand posts. 😄

Ouch. Bad news, guys: I broke my arm yesterday. Updates will be short for a while, and I don't expect to get any EVing in -- unless someone has developed a method by which one might play EV with one hand.

I remember back in the days of EVC my brother broke an arm and was still able to play. Are you still able to use your fingers comfortably? If so, you could just adjust the keys for whichever side of the keyboard you are using and simply rest your arm on your desk (or whatever). The other alternative would be to have some really fast fingers on the good arm (or mapping most of the keys next to whatever you use to move).

Well, I broke my left arm, and I'm right-handed, which is good. But it broke in my wrist, so my cast goes all the way from halfway between my elbow and shoulder to past my knuckles. In other words, my left hand is utterly useless.

I guess I could try to play with just my right hand. I won't be taking down any fleets, though. Maybe I'll start a new game. I've never beaten the Auroran string before.

Anyone else see the humor in this? "OMG! My arm broke, and I don't know how I'll play Nova!" 😄

And then he decides to play the most combat-intensive story line in the game.

I am not sure there is such thing as combat intensive in nova. Like there is text intensive, and fly from point a to b intensive, but other then a final fight in some of the storylines there really isn't much combat. I could be wrong though, its just off the three stock storylines (classic evo and nova) nova always struck me as the least challenging.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Oct 12 2007, 01:53 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Anyone else see the humor in this? "OMG! My arm broke, and I don't know how I'll play Nova!" 😄

Heh heh...that's me.

@zapp, on Oct 12 2007, 02:38 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

And then he decides to play the most combat-intensive story line in the game.

Well I don't feel much like playing the others. And I will start as a trader in a shuttle. Maybe by the time I get to the tough combat parts, my arm will be better.

Push the spacebar with your cast (its big). Use your nose for everything else.

@lnsu, on Oct 12 2007, 06:03 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Push the spacebar with your cast (its big). Use your nose for everything else.

Ah, but how do I see where I'm shooting if my face is firing the missiles?

You could take the easy way out and use a decently fast ship, plus heavy railguns. Boring, but it doesn't require huge amounts of skill, and you can refit the ship with your favored weapons when your arm gets better. (Which I hope it does, soon. I haven't had my arm broken, but I can't imagine it'd be fun.)

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 13 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

It's definitely not fun.

@joshtigerheart, on Oct 11 2007, 09:58 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Collision:

Don't set aside an hour every day to think about EVN or your project. You'll burn out. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Duly noted, but still 😞

EDIT:
Yay, I finnaly figured out how to use emoticons! 🙂

This post has been edited by 101181920 : 13 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Wow...it's been a little while, huh?

Nothing to report...just checking up...cast comes off in 3-5 weeks (I'm shootin' for 3)....

In the meantime, I've been really busy with (sadly) non-EV-related stuff. Sorry! RL...eh, it's worth it.

It's been too long. But it can't be helped. I've got way too much going on at the moment. I...yeah.

Hope everyone had a nice Halloween.