3d models

what tools to use?

Anyways, i am currently on a windows machine, yeah i know for this sort of stuff its much inferior, its all i have to work with. I was curious if there are any cheap (free) programs out there that are good to use in order to create models for the nova engine?

Blender.

Blender is the spawn of the devil ( if that good ). Use Wings3D.

Wings3D is pretty good. I'll second that suggestion.

Thanks i'll look into both of them then.

Yeah wings3d seems more in line with what i need i love how simple yet powerful this program is

This post has been edited by CrazySteve : 27 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thirded for Wings3D. I doubt that program will ever see 1.0, but what's there right now is still good.

Blender is the spawn of the devil ( if that good ).

I agree. I tried Blender a long time ago and never regretted trashing it.

Horse manure. Wings is an OK modeller, and I used it for a while, but 1. there is absolutely nothing wrong with blender and 2. blender is more powerful, more effective, more professional, and easier than wings. Easier in the sense that one is more easily able to make exactly what he wants in a short amount of time with minimal errors and have a finer finished product than with wings.

Since I'm tired of this debate, if anyone would like to dispute this, I will have a timed contest with him. A full render would be preferrable but seeing as wings has no actual render engine, a modelling contest would be fine as well. Mechanical, organic, or otherwise.

I'm sorry, but the idea of a timed contest with you is ludicrous. I've seen the stuff you can make. That's like Master Chief challenging someone to a world-saving contest.

That made my day 🙂

By the way, there is definitely nothing wrong with wings. I began my graphics on wings, and I do suggest learning to model on it if it suits you. I am just defending blender as an excellent program.

I use Cheetah 3d, and I am very happy with it. It's only 130 USD, but it is pretty powerful. It doesn't support texture blending or particle effects, though, which I'd be happy to have.

If you are very serious, get Maya. It's only 6K!

Only six K? Wow! That's cheap!

Uh, what's a K and how much is it in dollars?

kidding

K in this case stands for "kilo". Have you ever heard of it? It is commonly used in the metric system, and it means one thousand. So one K is equal to one thousand dollars. Six K is six thousand dollars.

@shlimazel, on Oct 28 2007, 03:21 PM, said in 3d models:

Only six K? Wow! That's cheap!

Uh, what's a K and how much is it in dollars?

kidding

Ahem.

Also, if you're a student it's only $400 or so.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 28 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

<Gags in amazement>

Well, you can't use it commercially though. If a student wants to use it for commercial endeavors, he or she will still have to buy the full version, if I'm not mistaken.

0101181920, I can't reply to the message you sent me, as it says "user does not exist". Any other way I could get back to you?

Email.

acorn013<at>gmail<dot>com