Stargate SG-1 mod?

We've only seen three ships so far small enough to fit through a Stargate: the Goa'uld deathglider, the Ancient puddlejumper, and a Goa'uld vessel based on the puddlejumper design (but smaller).

Now, if you could park various ships on various planets, and somehow use misns to move you around (through Stargates) and aquire whatever ship happened to be on that planet......that would be cool.

But extremely complicated. And you'd have to give up any kind of ship customization, most likely, in order to make it work at all.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 14 December 2004 - 04:49 PM

Lindley, on Dec 15 2004, 08:47 AM, said:

We've only seen three ships so far small enough to fit through a Stargate: the Goa'uld deathglider, the Ancient puddlejumper, and a Goa'uld vessel based on the puddlejumper design (but smaller).

And the Wraith drone. And that little UAV, but I don't think that one really counts.

I would KILL for a Stargate-themed plugin.

Lindley, on Dec 14 2004, 04:47 PM, said:

Now, if you could park various ships on various planets, and somehow use misns to move you around (through Stargates) and aquire whatever ship happened to be on that planet......that would be cool.

But extremely complicated. And you'd have to give up any kind of ship customization, most likely, in order to make it work at all.
View Post

Can I ask for a picture of this Puddlejumper :laugh: I have never ever seen it and sounds funny.

They're featured on Stargate Atlantis. Here's two caps from the opening credits:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/Lind...ddlejumper1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/Lind...ddlejumper2.jpg

Yho2002, on Dec 15 2004, 10:32 AM, said:

Can I ask for a picture of this Puddlejumper :laugh: I have never ever seen it and sounds funny.
View Post

Puddlejumper is just the name Sheppard gave it. They don't know the name the Atlanteans gave to it.

Guy, on Dec 14 2004, 03:01 PM, said:

You could always have a second nav on the planets like in Frozen Heart. Hit F2 to select the stargate on that planet and then, umm... fly your ship through it?
View Post

I've tried this out of curiosity, but no matter what order I put the planets in, the hypergate always shows up on top. Anyone know why?

PigDog4, on Dec 15 2004, 11:43 PM, said:

I've tried this out of curiosity, but no matter what order I put the planets in, the hypergate always shows up on top. Anyone know why?
View Post

No, but you could try giving it a blank mask so you don't see it.

Ah, good call, thanks

Mackilroy, on Dec 16 2004, 05:30 AM, said:

They don't know the name the Atlanteans gave to it.

It probably would have been something like "Gateship" which was the name that Ford (and McKay) attempted to give it. You know, it's a ship, and it goes through the Gate. Gate-ship. 🙂

You could do a plugin set in the Stargate universe, just not necessarily from the perspective of Earth. The only reason SG-1 is a primarly planetside show is because Earth doesn't really have any other way of accessing the galaxy. But the other galactic powers (Goa'uld, Asguard, Replacators...) were fighting each other in ships "when most people on Earth still thought it was flat" (to quote Jacob Carter).

I would envision as Stargate plugin like this: At the begining of each game, you would use the char resourse (and yes I know that crashes the PC version but hopefully that bug will be fixed in the next update) to select you're role in the galaxy. You could start as a minor Goa'uld, striving to achieve the rank of system lord and to dominate the Galaxy. You could start as a Jaffa, who overthrows his lord and leads a Jaffa rebellion. You could have a Tok'ra character, where the player must sneak around fighting the Goa'uld. There could be an Asguard character, who would strive to protect everyone. An Earth character would also be possible, though perhaps not very interesting, and would have to start with the X-303 or a stolen Goa'uld ship and go from there. I think it would be more effective to have Humans, the Tollans and any other minor races as part of the larger strings (like getting Earth to help out with the Replacators in the Asguard string).

I would be willing to help make such a plugin (after I fininsh with Unity Part 3), but only if someone would actually do the graphics for it.

This post has been edited by MacDevil : 16 December 2004 - 11:48 AM

When a series is as well-known as SG1, I'd be there are already 3D models of most of the ships available on the 'Net.

Once you've got those, making the graphics is fairly straightforward.

Hey, thanx for the link to the pics. I've definately seen better ships lol. Erm you could also add that someone from Earth could be working with the SG team which would mean you get to do loads of exploration missions.

MacDevil, on Dec 17 2004, 03:47 AM, said:

(and yes I know that crashes the PC version but hopefully that bug will be fixed in the next update)

Actually, it doesn't crash PC Nova - it's just impossible to select any character besides the default one.

If any one is going to make this, I will gladdly help.

i think a star gate mod plug would be fun but im still working on making missions so if any1 comes up with one could they e-mail me the site its posted at? My e-mail address is JLGwahir@aol.com oh and i have a windows just so u know 🙂 )

Is anyone still interested in doing this? I'm new to the game and just trying to strike out into the developing world. My first thought was a Stargate TC plug, but way out of my league. I'd like to help though, especially with storylines and missions.

Also, FYI, the Stargate certainly doesn't make FTL ships obsolete. It merely is one tool of many. Since it was one of the few that earth came across that it could actually work with our level of technology, it was the focus of the show, since it was earth based. Also, you didn't need any technical know-how to use the gate. It wasn't built by anyone in the current Stargate universe and only a few races have the knowledge to even build them The Tollan, before they were wiped out, The Nox possibly, if they cared about such things, the Asgard probably could build them, if they wanted, the Ancients, who are basically all dead or ascended and a few others). The show has progressed quite a ways since this thread was active, and Earth has mastered FTL travel and uses it almost as frequently as the stargate. Their battlecruisers are in full production and are crucial in the plot of the current Stargate SG1. If anyone keeps up on the news, there is a movie being planned, with SG 1 possibly ending and a new series beginning. If SG1 doesn't end, the third spinoff would run concurrently with the other two Stargate shows. While there is no evidence of what the third one would be about, the current belief is that it would probably be a battlecruiser show with an earth-based battlefleet. All speculation though.

I have many ideas for a EV Nova Stargate TC storyline, so if anyone needs help, give a hollar.

Myles, although your offer of help and enthusiasm are no doubt appreciated, it might be worth noting that there are those around here that consider digging up a topic from nearly a year an a half ago grave-digging. Generally topics die for a reason - lets just leave them be 🙂

On a side note, I actually agree. The gates are not actually that necessary. If you bring in the IDC Codes for the Iris then getting always using a stargate to travel doesn't make that much sense. I had an idea for a human string, based on the context of the plug being in the future, after the Ori war. You are a young pilot in the (either US or insert United-Earth government name here) and to start off, you need to (as ever) gain favour with the authorities by doing cargo ship supply runs for the government. After a while you are selected to join an off world mission through the stargate.

Bit of story comes in here. After going though the gate you and your team are attacked and you are the only survivor. The stargate in heavily guarded and you can't fight through alone. After walking for weeks in the wilderness yourself at a (now abandoned of course) Goa'uld mining facility. There is an old damaged cargo ship that with a bit of work you manage to get going again and take off. You are lost on the other side of the galaxy in hostile territory.

Some missions can go here so you can find a Tokra planet to gate back to Earth. After your daring escape from death you are summarily rewarded with the captaincy of a new something class vessel and access to Earth's (since now in the future, highly expanded fleet of ships).

From here you can have missions in the ships and also some through the stargate via the means set out previously, rescuing teams trapped on hostile planets, etc and a larger story-line can emerge.

Regardless, it would be a cool TC but I doubt it will happen and I have long since given up developing.

@jules, on May 15 2006, 07:40 AM, said in Stargate SG-1 mod?:

Myles, although your offer of help and enthusiasm are no doubt appreciated, it might be worth noting that there are those around here that consider digging up a topic from nearly a year an a half ago grave-digging. Generally topics die for a reason - lets just leave them be 🙂

Well, I wanted to know if anything was happening with it. I thought it would be better to "grave-dig" than start a new topic. I guess in the future I'll just make a new topic.

@jules, on May 15 2006, 07:40 AM, said in Stargate SG-1 mod?:

On a side note, I actually agree. The gates are not actually that necessary. If you bring in the IDC Codes for the Iris then getting always using a stargate to travel doesn't make that much sense. I had an idea for a human string, based on the context of the plug being in the future, after the Ori war. You are a young pilot in the (either US or insert United-Earth government name here) and to start off, you need to (as ever) gain favour with the authorities by doing cargo ship supply runs for the government. After a while you are selected to join an off world mission through the stargate.

Bit of story comes in here. After going though the gate you and your team are attacked and you are the only survivor. The stargate in heavily guarded and you can't fight through alone. After walking for weeks in the wilderness yourself at a (now abandoned of course) Goa'uld mining facility. There is an old damaged cargo ship that with a bit of work you manage to get going again and take off. You are lost on the other side of the galaxy in hostile territory.

Some missions can go here so you can find a Tokra planet to gate back to Earth. After your daring escape from death you are summarily rewarded with the captaincy of a new something class vessel and access to Earth's (since now in the future, highly expanded fleet of ships).

From here you can have missions in the ships and also some through the stargate via the means set out previously, rescuing teams trapped on hostile planets, etc and a larger story-line can emerge.

Regardless, it would be a cool TC but I doubt it will happen and I have long since given up developing.

That sounds like a cool idea, but a lot of work. It would take more than a beginner like me to get something like that off the ground. If no one else is doing anything on this, I'd like to do something a little simplier and just create ships from the Stargate universe for EV Nova. I'm a beginner and so I'm not asking for help (vaporware and all that) so I'm just going out on my own....to prove I'm serious. What I want to do though, is make a Goa'uld mothership, standard attack vessel, a medium-sized bomber and troop carrier, death gliders (with bays), and a Goa'uld cargo ship, with cloaking device. It's going to take awhile for me to learn the ropes and such, but if I ever get one up, I'll let you know. Until then, I'll shut up to keep from talking and not doing.... 😉

@jules, on May 15 2006, 11:40 PM, said in Stargate SG-1 mod?:

@myles-taylor, on May 16 2006, 02:03 PM, said in Stargate SG-1 mod?:

Well, I wanted to know if anything was happening with it. I thought it would be better to "grave-dig" than start a new topic. I guess in the future I'll just make a new topic.

I agree with Myles - in this case, the topic is relevant enough and unique enough that it's worth grave-digging. Posting an entirely new topic for exactly the same thing just results in re-inventing the wheel in terms of the ideas which have already been considered, or otherwise adds work in needing to link to the old topic.