Escape Velocity: Orion

Work continues on the plug, we managed to get hold of both Photoshop and Lunar Cell on trial, and have been experimenting with making some new planets and here are two of them, we haven't resized them yet.

Posted Image

The one on the left is a volcanic world, and the one on the right is another M-class planet

Ooooo, pretty colors....... :laugh:

@edwards, on Aug 8 2006, 06:47 PM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

However, the OnPurchase field of shďp 128 is fired whenever you get it after using an escape pod

I can't seem to get the OnPurchase field to function when getting a ship as an escape ship.
Are you sure that works?
Or, you saying that field works when getting an escape ship only when gaining ship 128?

@desprez, on Aug 26 2006, 11:29 AM, said in Escape Velocity: Orion:

Or, you saying that field works when getting an escape ship only when gaining ship 128?

So as not to clog up another innocent bystander's progress log thread, I've responded in your "escape ship" topic.

--------------------

As for the topic at hand, I must say that I like those planets! The little "shuttle-ish" ship also looks good, although I'd like to see what it looks like with the bottom of the front window angled up a bit at the back- right now it just doesn't look quite right.

Edwards

Hi again, I've been working on some different ships. I have just downloaded a copy of Vue 5 and have been fiddeling around with it, this is my first atempt tell me what you think of it. It's probably going to end up as a colony ship.

Posted Image

I'll mess around with the previous ship a bit and try and fix the window.

is it possible to create random multi-part names (and if so, how)?

What i mean by random multi-part names, is by having parts of the name randomly selected

for example:

/sven\............/wolf.................................\...../Eater..\
{eric..}{the}{Umlaut..............................} {Wielder..}
\bob../............\ marginally intresting guy/....\stalker./
so you could gt someone called Sven the Umlautwielder, or bob the marginally intresting guy Eater

This post has been edited by Ed boy : 27 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

I assume you're referring to the default names the player is offered when he/she starts a new pilot - in which case, the answer is "not more than two parts". Basically, you have the default names be "Bob" or "Sven" or "Erik" and the default nicknames be "the Wolf Stalker" or "The Umlaut Eater" or whatever. Then if you want to refer to the player using his full name, simply use "<PN> <PNN>" in dëscs. You could also use the default ship names to add a third part, but then you'd end up with ships called "Eater" or "Wielder" or "Stalker", which may be a tad odd. In that case, though, youi can refer to the player in full with "<PN> <PNN> <PSN>".

If you're referring to NPCs in dëscs, it's possible to do it with the aid of the R() operator.

This post has been edited by Belthazar : 27 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

As I said earlier I've been fideling around with Vue 5, this time I had a go at producing a spacestation.

Posted Image

As usual comments critiscisms and whatnot are welcomed.

Looks awesome, but I think you should add another arm to the space station for living quarters and the like.

That looks a lot more like a very small factory than a space station. I think it's mostly a combination of all sorts of little things:

• The viewing angle is from "above", and the bottom is flat, so it looks like it's sitting on an invisible plane.

• Confounding the above, the doors swing "down", coming to a rest at about the level of that invisible plane.

• The solar panels are small and hug the "roof" closely, and look very much like rooftop solar panels here on Earth today. If you look at just about any satelite or space station, their solar panels are strung out on arms, and have surface areas at least as large, if not larger than, the satelite/station itself.

• The smokestack-looking things are only visible on the top. Even if just one or two were visible under the lower edge of the building, it would go a long way towards making the structure look like it's floating.

However, other than it not looking like a space station, that's a nice model. If you stick it into a landscape for a planet landing shot, it would probably look quite good- perhaps some sort of cargo-sorting station at the edge of a spaceport?

Edwards

I edited the model a bit and took into acount some of the things you said I'm still working on it but here is the next... step.

Posted Image

I tried placing other objects below but I didn't get very good results and I'm still working on that, I'm adding more solar panels too but they didn't turn out the colour that they did on some of the lower quality renders and I'm working on that.

The second level below is supposed to be living quarters but it didn't turn out that well and the antena/smokestack things have been added to the bottom but haven't turned out very well. The Huge Cylinder on the side is supposed to look like either a dock for especially large ships or a site for constructing them. Its not very clear from this angle but the sides of the cylinder are covered with solar panels. I'm considering adding some more behind the station but I didn't want to put any on the front as I reasoned that they'd get in the way of docking.

That looks much better. And more station like. I also
agree with your reasoning for not putting solar panels
on the front. Makes sence.
I know you said that the solar panel colors didn't come
out right but I will say it anyway. Adding a blueish tint
would make them look a lot more like solar panels
instead of just hull plating.

the solar panels ARE blue, it's just that the lighting isn't perfect, so they appear grey

Daddy likes.

Question: When placing a Nebula, and you put in its X and Y coordinates for the galactic map, do those coordinates refer to the top-left corner of the image or the centre?

Top-left corner.

Hello again, I've got a few more questions:

First off, can you have an animation play when a ship gets hit? I suppose you could do this by using submunitions, but I'm not sure how well it would work out.
We have something like this in mind:
Posted Image

Secondly, is it possible to have collision with astroids/ships, and if possible increasing with speed. The best we've thought of is an invisible weapon firing or exploding continously around you but not damaging yourself with a high recoil, is there a method for improvement?

Thirdly, although this next one needs some more work what do you think of this? 😉

Posted Image Posted Image

That station is awesome! 😄

Glad you like it 🙂 Here's another thing I'm working on:

Posted Image

feedback welcomed

When you say, animate something when a ship gets hit.
I presume your saying hit by a weapon.
If so use that animation as an explosion. Use the bööm
resource to have it play an explosion when the weapon
hits the ship. You can pick what explosion to play in the
Wëap field.
If you meant have that as a shield image, rleD it then
use the shän resource and type its resource ID into the
shield field.

That station looks awsome with a little color it will rock
some socks off. 😛
The other picture is really good too but the boxes look
really out of place in my opinion.