EV Nova translation

How to translate EV Nova to another language

Hi,

I try to translate EV Nova resource files from English into Russian, but there is a problem: when I start game and look there is no russian, only "empty boxes" on the screen. How can I solve this problem? If EV Nova using specific font - may be problem there?

PS Playing EV Nova under MS Windows XP

Best regards,
Stanislaw

Hmmm... the catch with Russian is that it uses a non-English character set. While it's possible to change the font used in the sidebars and menu buttons, I'm not sure it's possible to change the dësc fonts... unless you want to mess around with your system fonts.

May be someone know what font EV Nova using (under MS Windows)? I think to english font anly there is no problem to add russian symbols, or replace english letters by russian. If I want to make russian version of the game - I don't need english any more 🙂

The font used by the Windows version of Nova (for everything) is Arial. It is possible to replace it but you'll need special software to rename fonts. It isn't recommended.

Ok, I understand. I try to replace ARIAL with my ARIAL CYR font.

I try t oreplace fonts - it does'n work 😞 Very sad that I can't make russian translation of this beautiful game.

In Soviet Russia, game translates YOU!!

Sorry, it's a disease spreading around.

This post has been edited by Fnoigy : 12 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

I thought it had been safely contained in Just Chat?

In Soviet Russia, diseases contain YOU!

Dang...

@holykirka, on Oct 12 2006, 10:04 PM, said in EV Nova translation:

I try t oreplace fonts - it does'n work 😞 Very sad that I can't make russian translation of this beautiful game.

How easy is it for Russian speakers to read Russian when it's been transliterated into an English character set? Basically what I'm trying to ask is is simply writing it using an English font an option?

@fnoigy, on Oct 13 2006, 02:28 AM, said in EV Nova translation:

Sorry, it's a disease spreading around.

@jacabyte, on Oct 13 2006, 03:43 AM, said in EV Nova translation:

I thought it had been safely contained in Just Chat?

I suspect Qaanol is a carrier.

@holykirka, on Oct 11 2006, 11:23 AM, said in EV Nova translation:

Ok, I understand. I try to replace ARIAL with my ARIAL CYR font.

Man, you have no idea how much that capitalised "arial" confused me.

@belthazar, on Oct 12 2006, 10:19 PM, said in EV Nova translation:

How easy is it for Russian speakers to read Russian when it's been transliterated into an English character set?

Quite hard, except for those who are fluent in a latin alphabet language (which in most cases will be English, meaning they don't need EVN in Russian), and even then it's extremely annoying. Most likely not an option.

Thank You all for help. I think in future it will be possible to solve this problem 😉

I have solution:

In replacement of typed description, missions use graphic of text, then Russian alphabet can be use.

For that matter, you could translate Nova into practically any language, as far as replacing mission text with graphics is concerned. Even though the other in-game text would have to be in English, specific english phrases could be referenced.

What happened when you tried to replace the fonts? Did you use a font renaming utility to do it (because you can't just rename the file, that doesn't work)?

@hamster, on Oct 17 2006, 10:40 AM, said in EV Nova translation:

I have solution:

In replacement of typed description, missions use graphic of text, then Russian alphabet can be use.

For that matter, you could translate Nova into practically any language, as far as replacing mission text with graphics is concerned. Even though the other in-game text would have to be in English, specific english phrases could be referenced.

Seriously, don't dis on the guy. English is probably not his first language.

@hamster, on Oct 18 2006, 01:40 AM, said in EV Nova translation:

Even though the other in-game text would have to be in English

No it wouldn't - that's where the "Text Font" fields of the cölr and ďntf resources come into play. Non-English character sets can be used in those fields (I've tested them myself with Symbol).

That said, is it possible to use images as dëscs in the Mission Info dialogue box? (I.e. the short briefing dëscs)

@hamster, on Oct 17 2006, 03:40 PM, said in EV Nova translation:

I have solution:

**That's just what I was thinking; though admittedly it'd be an awfully awkward system. He could make up new picts for the spaceport, hail, etc, buttons with the Russian character sets easy enough, but a lot of the other in-game elements would be impossible to change.

With all the pictures to make, I can't help but wonder if its worth all the trouble.

_bomb

And the enormous size of the PICT files.