Rigante

Die to live!

Hey all,

I joined the official forums primarily for one reason, to tell you of a plug-in currently under development for EV Nova. I have recieved a good reaction from the public of ev-nova.net recently and have gathered a community consisting of 14 or so users on the official forum (see bottom for details).

It is called Rigante and is a small extension of the gameplay, outfit variety and navy of the galaxy. It adds a new government, a new navy consisting of 5 new ships (one of them has new graphics), a range of new outfits, 4 new systems and a minor storyline (still in the brainstorming area of development).

So, who are these Rigante? I hear you ask. They are a militant force employed by the federation to take care of far-reached operations, assasination and primarily the offensive against the Pirate threat plaguing northern space. They are almost a re-incarnation of the Scottish clans of the early 8th - 14th centuries AD. The social structure is a united nation consisting of many of the original Scottish clans, and the people are a race of courage, cunning intelligence and battle-hardiness.

The Navy is a small one, yet is composed of some of the most advanced technology to date. Most of the ships so far use Pirate graphics except one - The Midnight Falcon, a heavy weapons platform IDA Frigate with sweet graphics and an abundance of Rigantean technology. Below it is the Waylander, a heavily gunned yet slower Pirate Starbridge variant. Then there is the Braefar, a Pirate Valkyrie variant armed to the teeth and boasting excellent manouverability. Then there is the Phantom, a very fast Pirate viper missile variant. Then the lowest of the lot - The Hurricane. It is essentially a dive-bomber and is a bay fighter, 2 bays equipped as default for the Midnight Falcon. They are slow, tiny fighters that fire four unguided freefall bombs that deal immense armour damage and petty sheild damage. Useful for taking chunks out of the bigger opponent.

The navy will regularly patrol Federation space, hunting down pirates and criminals alike with no mercy. Fleets vary in sizes of a mere two Phantoms to a full battle squadron consisting of 5-6 heavily armed Rigantean craft.

The new weaponry and outfits are not uber technology, they have their disadvantages but are effective enough to balance the Rigantean fleet's small numbers. They consist of several jammers, many new missile types and variants of previous Federation technology. New graphics for most of them too.

The systems all have new landing pictures and a well placed location. They branch off near vell-os abandoned space into the open space the far western parts occupy.

But the one thing that will be the centerpiece of this plug-in is the storyline - A tale of treachery, cunning stratagem and daring battle it may be something to look forward to. Here is a little intro you may want to have a look at:

_Just like the blooming of a flower in spring, inter-galactic politics rose and fell in state. In bloom, politics would keep war at bay and peace could settle across humanity - the economy would thrive and new cultures, businesses and people would rise from a seemingly tortured and twisted ruins of the galactic battlefield, scoping so many of the people we know and love, and treasure.. But, as winter would come, so would the great cold that lashed at this tranquil and stately sentiment. The great frost as i like to call it, malicious and condescending in it's nature would raise once more the bitter hostilities of a past time - like a child's handprint, re-appearing on a frosted window pane. The great tundra that proceeded towards it's destiny was to be of the (whichever government is most practical:) ), ancient and loathing abbhorence of the (whoever fits) was to be re-incarnated by an act so spiteful that it once more left the galaxy under the great freeze that provoked inter-galactic war. The thawing of a great cold had only begun, what was to preceed it's results would change the course of mankind, and the future of it's kin alike.... _

Of course all of the storyline is still being patched together in a rough plan but this may just be the basis of the one i proceed with. It could be a minor storyline, it could be major - At the moment it all depends on what i come up with soon and how much time i have on my hands.

There is an official forum for Rigante, and the recently finished NTNG (Nova Trade Network Guide - see topic) I will put a link in my signature as soon as possible for those willing to join the community.

Thanks for reading the colossal post,

Your comments, please πŸ™‚

I hate to sound rude, but there is probably not one of us 'on the official forums' who is unaware of ev-nova.net and by extension the dev forum there. There's not really a need for a separate topic here...

πŸ™‚
Like I said, not trying to be a jerk... And it's just my opinion...

rmx256, on Jan 5 2006, 11:53 PM, said:

I hate to sound rude, but there is probably not one of us 'on the official forums' who is unaware of ev-nova.net and by extension the dev forum there. There's not really a need for a separate topic here...

πŸ™‚
View Post

I am merely publicizing the project. It also means more critique, which is always appreciated greatly. Since these Ambrosia forums have a much higher number of users and developers, i thought that letting the whole community know would be a good bet. So, am i going to have any comments?

Could a moderator or Administrator move this to the Escape Velocity: Nova section please?

Nobody's taking notice of my efforts here :(, maybe it'll run better in the other forum..

Give it some time, this isn't a fast moving forum. Asking for a thread to be moved because it's not getting enough hits only serves to make you look like an attention whore - I was going to read the first post until I scanned the thread and so your last one. Now I won't bother πŸ˜›

rmx256, on Jan 5 2006, 11:53 PM, said:

πŸ™‚
View Post

I for one, am aware of the ev-nova forums, I even have a log in, but I rarely go there - I'd be very surprised if I were the only one in that boat. You could say with some degree of certainty that everyone at ev-nova comes here, but the same can't be said of the reverse. If either of the threads he's posted is inappropriate, it's the one at ev-nova.

P.S. Ravenheart, I will read your post, just not yet πŸ˜‰

This post has been edited by Hudson : 06 January 2006 - 09:04 AM

I wish you luck, inspiration, and fortitude, Ravenheart!

What I'd like to see more of is plugs of the scale of yours that pay attention to staying compatible with other mid-sized plugs, so that together they create a richer game.

Dr. Trowel, on Jan 6 2006, 03:27 PM, said:

I wish you luck, inspiration, and fortitude, Ravenheart!

What I'd like to see more of is plugs of the scale of yours that pay attention to staying compatible with other mid-sized plugs, so that together they create a richer game.
View Post

Thanks πŸ™‚

Hmm, i'm not sure how i would class the plug. It's small in comparison with plugs such as Arpia II and other major projects, though i intend to make the best of what time i have got to work on the plug and absolutely fill it with action, drama and satisfactory elements.

This post has been edited by Ravenheart : 06 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

I never check the EV-nova.net forums, so were this here, I would never have seen it.

Looks like a neat idea, and I can do everything except sounds. Well, when I have time.

This sounds like a great plugin, and I wish you luck. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Hudson, on Jan 6 2006, 08:55 AM, said:

I for one, am aware of the ev-nova forums, I even have a log in, but I rarely go there - I'd be very surprised if I were the only one in that boat.
View Post

When I post there, which is seldom, I invariably get replies like "Wow, are you the real Qaanol?" or "OMG Qaanol posted here!"

Qaanol, on Jan 6 2006, 01:38 PM, said:

"Wow, are you the real Qaanol?" or "OMG Qaanol posted here!"
View Post

I should start a rebellion to reveal you for what you really areΒ— just another exceptionally good Nova developer/player. But nodoby would care, since they're high off you :). Seems like all the people who haven't played the older EV games think killing something in a shuttle is preposterous!

On topic: I wish you the best of luck, Ravenheart. I'm Genophobe on the EV-Nova.net forums, but you may not have appeared when I was still checking it regularly. I have a question, however: will Rigantean ships overpower Polaris ships (I noticed the "some of the most advanced technology to date" part and got suspicious) ? If so, that would be very odd.

Anaxagoras, on Jan 6 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

I should start a rebellion to reveal you for what you really areΒ— just another exceptionally good Nova developer/player. But nodoby would care, since they're high off you :). Seems like all the people who haven't played the older EV games think killing something in a shuttle is preposterous!

On topic: I wish you the best of luck, Ravenheart. I'm Genophobe on the EV-Nova.net forums, but you may not have appeared when I was still checking it regularly. I have a question, however: will Rigantean ships overpower Polaris ships (I noticed the "some of the most advanced technology to date" part and got suspicious) ? If so, that would be very odd.
View Post

No, the technology in comparison with that of the Polaris is pretty inferior. What i am trying to preserve here is the character of the Rigante, one trait being cunning mind and courageous sentiment - two things that would utterly destroy the Polaris if used correctly.

Thanks for all your comments guys, you are very supportive round here πŸ™‚

Qaanol, i was heavily involved in that topic. I believe it was an idiot called Yukle who uttered ""Wow, are you the real Qaanol?", extremely irritating "welcomed guest" - that one is immediately disqualified πŸ˜‰

This post has been edited by Ravenheart : 06 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

That looks like a great plug idea. I look forward to playing it someday.

And I, too seldom if ever wander through the ev-nova.net forums.

Edwards

I shall play it!

I wonder why i didn't join the Ambrosia forums earlier, everyone back at ev-nova.net seems rude and disrespectful compared to you guys πŸ™‚

Ravenheart, on Jan 7 2006, 10:17 AM, said:

I wonder why i didn't join the Ambrosia forums earlier, everyone back at ev-nova.net seems rude and disrespectful compared to you guys πŸ™‚
View Post

ahem πŸ˜‰

nuku, on Jan 9 2006, 07:06 AM, said:

ahem πŸ˜‰
View Post

Hey nuku, you know it's true. All i get back there is friggin no0bs filling up the topic with trash!

But hey, the Member Lounge rocks! - I'll give you that πŸ™‚

Ravenheart, on Jan 7 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

View Post

Why thank you!

Ravenheart, on Jan 7 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

View Post

**Well, we're glad to have you here, welcome to the boards. Now stop talking and go get working on your plug-in.;)

_bomb

Bomb, on Jan 10 2006, 03:28 AM, said:

**Well, we're glad to have you here, welcome to the boards. Now stop talking and go get working on your plug-in.;)

_bomb
View Post

Iv'e literally finished it... apart from the storyline that is πŸ˜‰

Sounds like the Wild Geese with Rebel Tech...