Ports to EV and EVO for EVN

Let's make it happen!

I would like to propose an effort to port old EV and EVO plugs to the EV and EVO TCs for EVN. I know several of you have done this already, or are working on it, but I'd like to see a greater effort to bring back the old gems from yesteryear.

A lot of the newbies to the EV series who have only played Nova I'm sure would enjoy the old plug-ins.

If original authors are unwilling to port their plugs, perhaps they would be willing to allow somebody else to do so.

I see this proposal as a way to, first, help newcomers learn about plug-in development, and second, get more plug-ins for Nova, particularly TCs.

All I have is Nova, so I don't think I can help. If I can, just tell me though, and I'll be happy to do so. 🙂

orca is working on this. Porting plugs will be a snap 🙂

Hasn't this already been done? I've got the TCs from the Plug-in page.

Isn't EV:N going on 4 years old? I understand that a classic will always be a classic...

Sorry to be the voice of dissension here 😛

We need someone to rewrite port authority!

prophile, on Jan 3 2006, 10:31 AM, said:

We need someone to rewrite port authority!
View Post

SpacePirate already did so! From the add-ons collection:

SpacePort111 - 3.28 mb
Use SpacePort to convert EV and EVO game files into the newer EV Nova format. This program is designed to provide the same functionality as the never-released Port Authority, by w00tware. While the ports come fairly close, I did the best I could to make conversions as near-perfect and easy-to-use as possible. Unfortunately, due to major engine changes between previous EV's and Escape Velocity Nova, you will have to redo a few things by hand... Check the ReadMe for details, moderate plugin experience recommended. This version is an improvement over the 1.1.0 version, with three bug fixes, two of which are fairly major. SpacePort is compatible with Mac OS 8.6 through Mac OS 10.3.5. Å 2004 Inferno Studios ~ http://www.EVula.org/infernostudios/ ~ hypermike (at) adelphia (dot) net

bizbag8, on Jan 3 2006, 10:28 AM, said:

Hasn't this already been done? I've got the TCs from the Plug-in page.
View Post

I'm talking about porting old EV and EVO plug-ins so they run with the EV/EVO TCs for Nova.

Shrout1, on Jan 3 2006, 11:25 AM, said:

Isn't EV:N going on 4 years old? I understand that a classic will always be a classic...

Sorry to be the voice of dissension here 😛
View Post

Well, either we say "sorry folks, nothing to see here" and shut down the EV boards, or we go back, get the goods from the old days and bring them to the newer EV, even if it's 4 years old.

Dr. Trowel, on Jan 3 2006, 01:33 PM, said:

SpacePirate already did so! From the add-ons collection:

Guys, I'd hold off on using SpacePort for a little while longer...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 🙂

orcaloverbri9, on Jan 7 2006, 04:36 PM, said:

Guys, I'd hold off on using SpacePort for a little while longer...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 🙂
View Post

What's coming -- is it an update, or is it a competing app???

Orca's gonna rock us, apparently.

😉

You'll see soon enough. :ninja:

mrxak, on Jan 2 2006, 08:38 PM, said:

I would like to propose an effort to port old EV and EVO plugs to the EV and EVO TCs for EVN. I know several of you have done this already, or are working on it, but I'd like to see a greater effort to bring back the old gems from yesteryear.

A lot of the newbies to the EV series who have only played Nova I'm sure would enjoy the old plug-ins.

If original authors are unwilling to port their plugs, perhaps they would be willing to allow somebody else to do so.

I see this proposal as a way to, first, help newcomers learn about plug-in development, and second, get more plug-ins for Nova, particularly TCs.
View Post

**I think this is an excellent idea, in part for the reasons you stated, and secondly to show the new developers that it isn't always about appearance and new shiny graphics, so much as a well written story and some cleverly designed missions. Just think, some of the best plug-ins for the original EV were mission only add ons, or ones with only a couple simplistic new sprites tossed in there.

_bomb

:cryptic grin: Just wait just wait! MacDevil has something to satisfy your curiousity

Bomb, on Jan 10 2006, 03:25 AM, said:

I think this is an excellent idea, in part for the reasons you stated, and secondly to show the new developers that it isn't always about appearance and new shiny graphics, so much as a well written story and some cleverly designed missions. Just think, some of the best plug-ins for the original EV were mission only add ons, or ones with only a couple simplistic new sprites tossed in there.
View Post

Arpia 1 is basically just one storyline. Lots of people have enjoyed it.

Arpia 2 will have 3 storylines and "some" graphics.

I'd personally like to see the Empire series and New Horizons. Those were my fav EV plugs of all time 🙂

I have to chime in here.

Yes, in all true and relevant statement for the vast magority of EV players, the graphics are a secondary concern to gameplay and storyline.

I do not think that this is nececerraly true for the vast magority of EVN players. There is honestly a set of expectations far beyond the little tiny landing pics and 256 color dithered graphics.

I don't think that porting the EV library to the EV3 engine is a solution. Arpia will do us much good when II comes out and will revitalize what seems to me to not be a bad scene at all. Although only one TC from when I first joined the boards still seems to be ongoing (Retribution (don't execute me if I am missing something obvious)), the Phoenix team seems to be coming along well, Frozen Heart II is in a testing stage enough to have bugs obscure, Arpia II is done except for graphics, and I can attest to one other that is coming along quite healthily. Those will give the players what they expect- and I honestly think that no matter how good the old EV plugs were they won't stand up to the instant gratification expected by most people new to the EV world, which is a signifigant percentage of the players.

gray_shirt_ninja, on Jan 10 2006, 01:03 PM, said:

I'd personally like to see the Empire series and New Horizons. Those were my fav EV plugs of all time 🙂
View Post

Well I'm almost ready to beta test E5: Heart of Darkness. I only have a tiny bit of cosmetic work to do. The plugin is fully playable in its current form. Stay tuned!

modesty_blaise_us, on Jan 10 2006, 05:09 PM, said:

Arpia 1 is basically just one storyline. Lots of people have enjoyed it.

Arpia 2 will have 3 storylines and "some" graphics.
View Post

**Arpia was an excellent piece of work, and Arpia 2 looks even better. To call its developers 'new' (as I clearly stated) I think would actually be considered an insult.

_bomb

rmx256, on Jan 10 2006, 10:24 PM, said:

I have to chime in here.

Yes, in all true and relevant statement for the vast magority of EV players, the graphics are a secondary concern to gameplay and storyline.

I do not think that this is nececerraly true for the vast magority of EVN players. There is honestly a set of expectations far beyond the little tiny landing pics and 256 color dithered graphics.

I don't think that porting the EV library to the EV3 engine is a solution. Arpia will do us much good when II comes out and will revitalize what seems to me to not be a bad scene at all. Although only one TC from when I first joined the boards still seems to be ongoing (Retribution (don't execute me if I am missing something obvious)), the Phoenix team seems to be coming along well, Frozen Heart II is in a testing stage enough to have bugs obscure, Arpia II is done except for graphics, and I can attest to one other that is coming along quite healthily. Those will give the players what they expect- and I honestly think that no matter how good the old EV plugs were they won't stand up to the instant gratification expected by most people new to the EV world, which is a signifigant percentage of the players.
View Post

**You make several good points, but I still don't think it would hurt to at least try. The comparison you make from EV/O- > EVN I think is a bit like the state of hollywood movies today; storyline is often shoved aside for flashy special effects and blockbuster action, if not for a lack of the first, but rather to appeal to an ever changing and ever less impressed audience. EV Nova decimates the level of graphics in the first two to a degree that is beyond comparison, and therefore, yes, it is impossible for plug-ins from the original two to match up. However, I don't think that should be the goal; I'm more of an optimist when it comes to these things, as I truly believe people will be interested in checking out new, fun mission strings for the old classics, while keeping firmly in mind the games for which they were originally created.

_bomb